Game Development: Beavertopia

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Beavertopia

Postby qoonpooka » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:25 am

springyb wrote:Do beavers have anything interesting other than their hide and meat?

Their tails are a curio about half as good as Itsy Bitsy Spider, but their quality is more stably higher, I think.
qoonpooka

Postby Zeler » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:14 am

qoonpooka wrote:
springyb wrote:Do beavers have anything interesting other than their hide and meat?

Their tails are a curio about twice as bad as Itsy Bitsy Spider, but their quality is more stably higher, I think.

Fixed that for you mate
Zeler

Postby NOOBY93 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:20 pm

Zeler wrote:
qoonpooka wrote:

Their tails are a curio about twice as bad as Itsy Bitsy Spider, but their quality is more stably higher, I think.

Fixed that for you mate

Itsy Bitsy Spider is a curio??? I only used it for littering the forest floors
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby qoonpooka » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:50 pm

NOOBY93 wrote:Itsy Bitsy Spider is a curio??? I only used it for littering the forest floors

:roll:

Some of us can't play all day every day and just started playing. Having a curio that lasts a good chunk of the weekend and drops more LP than seer's bones or mirkwood when we get back has value.
qoonpooka

Postby NOOBY93 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:55 pm

qoonpooka wrote:Some of us can't play all day every day

the assumptions are real

On average this world I played maybe half an hour a day, and that's on average, most days I don't play at all

I haven't been studying curios for 2 weeks now, but I still think itsy bitsy spiders are trash and haven't studied a single one this world
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby Sevenless » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:10 pm

qoonpooka wrote:
NOOBY93 wrote:Itsy Bitsy Spider is a curio??? I only used it for littering the forest floors

Some of us can't play all day every day and just started playing. Having a curio that lasts a good chunk of the weekend and drops more LP than seer's bones or mirkwood when we get back has value.

Before study desks I'd say that's true. Now the majority of early game LP comes from curios that are easily accessible to craft/forage and don't really take that long to work on in the early game. LP/hour/mental weight is vastly the most important stat early game, and itsy bitsy webs are pretty attrocious for that stat.

I'd suggest filling your study with 7 mirks, 7 feather trinkets, 7 bark boats, 7 toad stools. Mirks/feather trinks need replacing ~x2 a day, but the rest last 24 hours. Now I'd say dewy mantles, but those are one of the early game curios that generally aren't reliable to have unless you play a lot. Clovering a horse and going to a swamp, you can load up on dragonflies pretty easily and they're quite excellent but if you're not near a grassland this can be tough. Also duck hunting on a horse gives a decent curio to have running that doesn't need replacing often.

If you're not going to have a lot of playtime, you can stock up on these pretty easily. I'd say cut out feather trinks and then mirks in that order if you don't have time to craft (since they only run 1.5 hours per crafting action). Seers bones while a great curio, are kind of time intensive and I wouldn't suggest them for a time crunch player unless you've got bones lying around. It's 60 bones/day/player, so I wouldn't try to keep them running regularly. Bat wings and swan feathers if you have the int and can kill them are your next upgrade.

Tolerably higher weight curios that you could run into early if you have extra int: enthroned toad, beaver teeth, Q30+ itsy bitsy spiders.

There's just a lot of better options than the web, although it's available and the total LP seems appealing.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby qoonpooka » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Sevenless wrote:
qoonpooka wrote:

Before study desks I'd say that's true. Now the majority of early game LP comes from curios that are easily accessible to craft/forage and don't really take that long to work on in the early game. LP/hour/mental weight is vastly the most important stat early game, and itsy bitsy webs are pretty attrocious for that stat.

I'd suggest filling your study with 7 mirks, 7 feather trinkets, 7 bark boats, 7 toad stools. Mirks/feather trinks need replacing ~x2 a day, but the rest last 24 hours. Now I'd say dewy mantles, but those are one of the early game curios that generally aren't reliable to have unless you play a lot. Clovering a horse and going to a swamp, you can load up on dragonflies pretty easily and they're quite excellent but if you're not near a grassland this can be tough. Also duck hunting on a horse gives a decent curio to have running that doesn't need replacing often.

If you're not going to have a lot of playtime, you can stock up on these pretty easily. I'd say cut out feather trinks and then mirks in that order if you don't have time to craft (since they only run 1.5 hours per crafting action). Seers bones while a great curio, are kind of time intensive and I wouldn't suggest them for a time crunch player unless you've got bones lying around. It's 60 bones/day/player, so I wouldn't try to keep them running regularly. Bat wings and swan feathers if you have the int and can kill them are your next upgrade.

Tolerably higher weight curios that you could run into early if you have extra int: enthroned toad, beaver teeth, Q30+ itsy bitsy spiders.

There's just a lot of better options than the web, although it's available and the total LP seems appealing.

Don't have a desk yet, about to build it. Still farming bones for the glue. The convo was about the spider itself. I don't bother with the webs unless I run out of everything else. I have 51 INT at this point, so frequently have room on the grid, am already running everything I can craft that's worth it, and the 15 LP/hr/INT I get from a web makes sense. Yes it's a commitment, but it's not like I'm going to miss the 10 INT.

Feather + Mirk + Barkboat + Chariot + quills = 26 INT. I'm far from swamps because I didn't want the traffic.

I am finally at the point where I'm throwing away snapdragons below 20. I have semi-reliable access to Q25 thistles which aren't bad @ 81LP/hr/INT. Every once in a while I score a bramble to run overnight, etc.

The desk sounds pretty good, but it also sounds like I'll be able to manually run INT sinks like Itsies alongside that inventory. 7x7 just isn't very big.
qoonpooka

Postby FictionRyu » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:58 pm

qoonpooka wrote:Still farming bones for the glue.
Chickens. Easiest way to get bones.
Scooby Doo taught us that the real monsters are humans.
FictionRyu

Postby qoonpooka » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:21 am

FictionRyu wrote:

Yeah, figured the pali should go up first. >.> No idea why I thought that.

Anyway, have a desk now. The replacement logic is going to take a while for me to understand. I woke up this morning with only a half-filled study report and PLENTY of unique curios in my desk.
qoonpooka

Postby bamump2k9 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:34 am

qoonpooka wrote:
FictionRyu wrote:

Yeah, figured the pali should go up first. >.> No idea why I thought that.

Anyway, have a desk now. The replacement logic is going to take a while for me to understand. I woke up this morning with only a half-filled study report and PLENTY of unique curios in my desk.

had the same problem, usually to get it going efficiently just put everything on the study desk and put a flower in your study page- after the flower is used up that's when the desk tries to shove your int's worth of curios into ya
The sum of my experience is comprised up of more skeletons on my own claim then alot of you guys have wood blocks invested in your wall. But even though these skeles show i am a bad player- i still strive to continue through this vile territory in the hopes that one day i will have an army big enough to find you and murder all you know
xoxo ~bamump
bamump2k9

Previous

Return to Announcements