Game Development: Beavertopia

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Beavertopia

Postby Leafstab » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:54 am

stickman wrote:
was takedown really that good that it needed to be nerfed? i experimented with it but zig zag is to strong against it and its alot harder to stack millions of IP now.

As someone who doesn't enjoy killing people I dont think teleporting to hearth is really the best solution... if 2 villages had a big fight and KO'd a bunch of people they would instantly chug down a bunch of healing roots and be right back in the fight 10 min later. big villages can easily replace all the gear too if you made that drop, no big deal to them. How could you stop a raid? they would be right back in 20 min to attack you again... or right back to defending in 20 min as well... would make combat pretty ridiculous.

I have 2 alternate suggestions:

1. How about you still die so you can be looted etc (skull wouldn't have q or give LP though)... but when you respawn you can you get a special quest after your body decays... like the quest givers thing.. or maybe just the fetch things for your alter. and when you complete it you get your stats back. this would keep you out of combat for a few days.

2. Or when you die your body stays on the ground but your spirit gets teleported back to the HF... so basically you go back to your HF all transparent ghost like and you have a "death" type wound that starts at 90% and reduces all attributes and abilities by 90%... and each ingame day goes down by 1%.... as it goes down you become less transparent. if your bury your body or skull it reduces the wound so you can be back to normal faster... this way you keep all your permissions, your friends lists, and can continue working on your stats...

I like these methods more because if your trying to raid someone or defend and you kill somoene they are out of action for awhile but they wont quit the game because they know they will get their stats back.

your assement of roots tells me you dont have too much experiance with them lol
Leafstab

Postby GamingRAM » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:55 am

jorb wrote:
[*] We have been a bit unsure on where to take development. Feel free to opine on what you'd like to see change/improve.

I think the best way to take development would be ways to encourage players to come back every now and then.
I think introducing seasons would definitely help players in coming back to the game. Imagine if you take a break from the game, and a few weeks or months later you log back and the whole world looks different. Imagine large parts of the world suddenly covered in snow, or trees are turning yellow, or a blazing hot sun. There are or more less animals running around depending on the season, encouraging that sense of wonder "O, the world has changed, what else is new out there?". Having an ever changing world I think would definitely help.
Even if seasons only start off globally. Just changes in animal spawns and forage spawns would be a good start.

I think roaming animals would help. Large herds of particular species traveling across the entire map. Or special roaming animals that are incredibly rare. Imagine if you are just a lonely hermit going out for a hunt and you are lucky enough to gaze up a white stag. It wouldn't be so much RNG, as is fate if its roaming and there are only a few in the world every few hours/days.

More crops, BUT, unique crops. Imagine a plant that would literally take over a month to grow. Or a crop that doesn't produce seeds and can only be found from foraging.

Rework the way gardening pots work. Introduce wild variations of foragables (wild blueberries, wild strawberries, wild chives, etc) and domesticated versions of them that are obtained from harvesting from a garden pot. Have the two variations be a bit different (not inherently 'better' than the other, but different. Say wild versions can have a +2 chance for FEP, while domesticated only have +1 chance for FEP (but obviously can be grinded for quality)).
World 12: Quit at some point.
World 11: Community Fair Worker
World 10: Co-Founder of the Northern Kingdom, Resident of Emerald City, Founder and Mayor of the Hole of Glory, RamZ's Art Emporium at CF, Member of the CFL Rams.
World 9: Founder of SnoopVille, Resident of Emerald City
World 7: Hermit and Neighbor to a dead Korean
GamingRAM

Postby LadyV » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:20 am

jorb wrote:[*] We have been a bit unsure on where to take development. Feel free to opine on what you'd like to see change/improve.

Jorb, meet C&I...

http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=48

I have a feeling it will be a long and estranged relationship...

:lol: :P
LadyV

Postby Thedrah » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:23 am

can KO act like domestic animals? say each player gets 3 lives
or have it as an option on death screen. 'your spirit is free, return to hearthfire or find a new body' but in a artistic/haven way with a macabre feel

as for direction, why not have a poll? i request for more options in building to have a more custom home, such as modular buildings and some indoor facilities such as an oven or forge or craft station in buildings to give them a more unique feel
  ▲
▲ ▲
Thedrah

Postby iamahh » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:26 am

my only worry is if siege becomes too easy, only big factions will survive
iamahh

Postby sMartins » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:50 am

Very surprised that people like that port back on KO thing....to me it's meh....I don't like that Salem style tbh.

jorb wrote:[*] We have been a bit unsure on where to take development. Feel free to opine on what you'd like to see change/improve.

Hunting?
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby DeadlyPencil » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:07 am

jorb
Tread carefully, you risk actually ruining your game by messing with permadeath. It is the one thing that makes your game unique.

I do not like porting on KO. Change it to porting on death. If you wish to go down that route, this idea seems ok...

stickman wrote:2. Or when you die your body stays on the ground but your spirit gets teleported back to the HF... so basically you go back to your HF all transparent ghost like and you have a "death" type wound that starts at 90% and reduces all attributes and abilities by 90%... and each ingame day goes down by 1%.... as it goes down you become less transparent. if your bury your body or skull it reduces the wound so you can be back to normal faster... this way you keep all your permissions, your friends lists, and can continue working on your stats...

again, if you go down this route, this idea seems decent. it keeps death, It keeps dead bodies, it keeps bones and skulls in the game, allows for player looting. It also allows you to continue raising your characters stats. you can modify the % recovery to whatever you feel is appropriate. I still would like some sort of permanent effect on the player for dying though. It can be as simple as a log of your deaths and log of your kills.

stuff for you to work on:

• PLZ plz plz work on opening up resources so people cant claim or wall them in. Make it so you cant build on mountains, and delete structures currently on mounains. This will improve player interactions in the game GREATLY.
DeadlyPencil

Postby DDDsDD999 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:30 am

Problem with removing permanent death like this is something I don't like. It makes player interaction feel less potent, crafting feel less important, among other problems. I tried rust, but I absolutely hated it. When you die, you only lose what you drop, and it makes the experience just feel kind of pointless.
DDDsDD999

Postby ricky » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:35 am

I enjoy the teleport on KO. I feel it lets characters off too easy though

in addition to teleporting (most of these have been mentioned):

-KO'd characters should drop all items
-KO'd characters should have a 1-7 day debuff which if KO'd again, character will not TP home

on the other side of the coin:

-Aggressors/criminals/combat initiators should not TP when KO'd

as for new direction: the game needs more dynamic systems. currently, its very static (gen the world and done). whether it be seasons (most opportunities for dynamic systems) or simply dynamic animal population, or any other dynamic mechanic. that would be a good choice.

personally, I feel crops should be more dynamic and interactive than they currently are. whether it be watering plants for small bonuses, or fertilizer, or crop rotation, or soil compositions, or....
Ultimately, there needs to be more interaction than "plant and wait, plant and wait"
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby 2d0x » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:43 am

You can try to distract aggressive players by any events. For example, tournaments, a siege of an accidentally appearing fortress, or an attack of monsters. Players participating in such events will receive special items that can be exchanged for unique prizes.
Now the penalty at death is the same for all. You can add karma. A peaceful player is white karma and after he dies he inherits more experience. The killer has a black karma and after his death he inherits very little. Karma can be cleared by killing other killers. And vice versa: karma deteriorates when killing peaceful players.
Excuse me, I don't speak English.
2d0x

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements