Game Development: Beavertopia

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Beavertopia

Postby Zyean » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:15 am

If you're going to make it so you return to your HF on KO, maybe you should make it so if it is by a player, you also drop everything you were carrying.
Zyean

Postby Kearn » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:16 am

jorb wrote:[*] We have considered getting rid of the entire concept of claim shields

please no

jorb wrote:[*] We have considered making it so that you are returned to your Hearth fire on knockout.

please yes, dying instantly to some weirdo wandering around or to a particularly incensed badger is no fun at all
Kearn

Postby DaniAngione » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:17 am

Nice patch! Thank you two for your work, as usual :3

jorb wrote:[*] We have considered making it so that you are returned to your Hearth fire on knockout. This could make combat more accessible and forgiving, could allow for less paranoid player interaction, could allow for casual strolls outside your walls without complete fear of death, could remove alt farms to supply a steady stream of fresh cannon fodder, could make n00b ganking less of a thing, and could perhaps allround make the game less autistic and more fun. On the other hand the biting edge of cold hard pixel death could be dulled. Do note that you would still die as per usual if you actually managed to reach zero HHP.[/list]
... let us know what you think.

That is... interesting. Though I can arguably see the possible arguments on both sides.
But I think it is something nice to think about.

I'll leave proper discussions for the more active PVP groups but here are a couple of thoughts:

- A "cooldown" of sorts, possibly? For example, if you get teleported to your HF on KO, you can't be teleported back on KO for an hour (for example). So for one hour you are "killable". This could work both to prevent certain abuses on blocking, annoying alts, scout alts, etc... but also as a "warfare resource" - like temporarily incapacitating fighters/warriors in times of conflict by adding the dangerous choice of "should I go back to help or wait?"
- Perhaps it couldn't apply to red-handed characters and to some outlawed (murder and vandalism); so there's still some purpose on hunting criminals (and some risks on being a criminal yourself)
- Maybe some sort of expensive item could "provide" the effect for criminals, however - just like Silver for the Ferryman can save you from drowning, some other expensive items could save a criminal from death once :)
- I think that regardless of being outlawed or not, this should - ALWAYS - apply to visitors being "evicted". In fact, I think this should be a thing even if the "HF on knockout" thing doesn't come through. No more kills/exploiting with gates.

Edit:
Zyean wrote:If you're going to make it so you return to your HF on KO, maybe you should make it so if it is by a player, you also drop everything you were carrying.

This seems interesting.
Perhaps you could "randomly" drop some gear and certain items.
Also, make it so that some items "never" drop (for example keys) and some items ALWAYS drop (for example: coins!) Mugging, anyone? ;)
Last edited by DaniAngione on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby blank » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:18 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:
ALSO i think that they should be ported back to their hearth fire completely NAKED and all curios/equipment/inventory should be dropped on the ground where they were koed and remain there for a certain period of time

]

+1
blank

Postby Amanda44 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:18 am

jorb wrote:We have considered making it so that you are returned to your Hearth fire on knockout. This could make combat more accessible and forgiving, could allow for less paranoid player interaction, could allow for casual strolls outside your walls without complete fear of death, could remove alt farms to supply a steady stream of fresh cannon fodder, could make n00b ganking less of a thing, and could perhaps allround make the game less autistic and more fun. On the other hand the biting edge of cold hard pixel death could be dulled. Do note that you would still die as per usual if you actually managed to reach zero HHP.

Enjoy!

Ohh, I like this! It may not prevent all noob deaths due to titan chars but it has got to be a step in the right direction and will definitely help some. :D
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby ctopolon3 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:20 am

drinks & easy raid & knock + killing on hf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc
ctopolon3

Postby Sevenless » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:21 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:i think if you guys were to do this you should only make it a thing for chars under a certain stat limit say like under 100-200ua and some combat attributes or something. also a lot of the people dying in combat now dont even get koed they jsut die immediately and this would remain the case for almost all nab kills unfortunately!!!

ALSO i think that they should be ported back to their hearth fire completely NAKED and all curios/equipment/inventory should be dropped on the ground where they were koed and remain there for a certain period of time

GR8 UPD8

I'm actually kind of surprised you're on board with changing away from hard permadeath. But yes, most certainly if any form of "not permadeath" happens, full loot seems perfectly appropriate for haven. +1

~

I support this development, but as I've raised in C&I recently, I also feel like we could replace permadeath with a tweaked wounding system + full loot to have a similar adrenaline/rush. But without risking an ever mounting amount of effort put into a character, and rather a fixed recovery effort/time via the wound.

I'm glad other people are willing to raise this point, since it's typically something I find as an opinion in players who play the game but aren't visible on the forums.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Foliumsakura » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:24 am

Perhaps disallow being straight up one shot if you take a hard enough hit from 90-100% HHP. I am unsure if this mechanic should be implemented for PvE.

I would like to see something to prevent claiming Local Resources, it is very frustrating to have access to zero resources of the like. Other then that good patch, simple, but good. I like new animals included in updates, makes exploring super fun.

Thanks for everything Jorbtar
Foliumsakura

Postby roboboy33 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:25 am

Capped the Cooldown on "Take Aim" at 120.
"Think" now, analogous to "Take Aim", has a longer cooldown the more IP you have. Its cooldown is capped at 160.

I think insteaed of increasing cooldown with the more ip you have, they should give less ip the more ip you already have.
what the fuck say
roboboy33

Postby Chebermech » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:26 am

jorb wrote:Do note that you would still die as per usual if you actually managed to reach zero HHP.

n00b killing will still happen, even though the idea is great, maybe make so people teleport to hearthfire instantly once they get knocked out, and if they would have died, leave them with 1HHP and the rest of hhp will have nasty wounds that would take a long time, even longer for top tier fighters to heal, making them useless in fights for a week or even longer.

not sure what to think on bubbles, people will just build huge villages that cover more free space, and have onions of layers of walls.

on further development, add wolves (and dogs), sea tribe whales and dragons, and let people wear crows and parrots on their shoulders.
Chebermech

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements