Game Development: Frolick in the Camomile

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Frolick in the Camomile

Postby jorb » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:40 am

infectedking wrote:
jorb wrote:[*] Nidbanes now disappear if they knock their target.

jorb wrote:This arguably makes them one of the more persistent, and actual threats against a player's life.

How can a Nidbane if they Disappear after KOing their target be an actual threat to the player's life?

Because you can send multiples, cause recurring concussion and nidburn damage, and presumably kill someone that way.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby infectedking » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:50 am

jorb wrote:
infectedking wrote:
jorb wrote:[*] Nidbanes now disappear if they knock their target.

jorb wrote:This arguably makes them one of the more persistent, and actual threats against a player's life.

How can a Nidbane if they Disappear after KOing their target be an actual threat to the player's life?

Because you can send multiples, cause recurring concussion and nidburn damage, and presumably kill someone that way.

have you heard of read of anyone this world getting killed by nidbanes yet? This just puts an even bigger nerf on them, guarentee'd if you sent me 5 murder nidbanes, i would kill all of them probably without even losing 50hhp maximum.
dafels wrote:I like to be under Frosty's command.

Any Questions about the game or anything, hit me up on skype: deadlytroll1 Or you can find me in the hedgehug realm chat on discord.
W7: Hermit
W8: Peaceful Farmer of F&I
W9: Peaceful Farmer of F&I
W10: deserter-Peaceful Farmer of F&I
infectedking

Postby Granger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:01 am

loftar wrote:
NOOBY93 wrote:But anyway the tech savvy dude listed what is causing the lag:

[...]

None of that explains the discrepancy in difference between what you're seeing and what I'm seeing, however.

Vague ideas:
- You're using Linux while he's using Windows, right? Might be something in the driver stack.
- Does the possibility exist that this could be something that creeps out of the shadows when you're farer away from the server and the ping goes up (like packet roundtrip latencies adding up for some strange reason)?
- Deferred loading of resources blocking rendering, like a lock congestion between game threads?
- Many warriors seem to have customized shields/clothing: Maybe the GPU is running out of local memory when many textures are needed (for objects with sketches) and the driver resorts to swapping textures to main RAM to render the frame? This could explain the extremely low framerate NOOBY93 is reporting for being in a bigger fight?
- Characters/objects constantly dis- and reappearing from/into render range, with the client (or JVM) repeatedly releasing resources and having to reload them, burdening the client (and GPU) with additional I/O (and then maybe run into a lock issue as mentioned)?
- JVM running out of memory and going into a busy loop garbage collecting? This added to thermal throttling might well bring a client to a near halt.

BTW: Speaking of garbage collection:
Jacobian123 wrote:... but there's a pause in the game about every second which makes moving around even more of a pain than if you just have consistently low FPS.

I was able to remove this kind of repeating stutter by giving Java higher numbers for the -Xms and -Xmx parameters...

Suggestion: make a debug client that profiles the various sections of the game loop and logs per frame:
- game pipeline stats
- system memory stats
- network events
- (de-)instantiations of rendered objects (possibly from this one could see that a certain thing coming into existance kills off the render pipeline)
log to local debug server of yours in real time, so you could get onto a chat (skype, irc, whatever) with someone/some_more and coordinate them do stuff while viewing the resulting changes in client performance in real time - with this you could also possibly de-/activate certain kinds of profiling in their clients from your side to get to the metrics you need to see (without having to push a new client). Like the dtrace style inspection system we talked about a while ago, just for the client and with a remote interface for you to peek into it remotely when needed...
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby MrGemini » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:33 am

/pras!
Greetings, Gemini & Tinkababe

jorb wrote:Given your obvious merits I'm not convinced that that's a loss, but... you would be more helpful if you stated what it is you dislike about this, and why. I can't do much with "QQstopkillinggaembye".
MrGemini

Postby Kmab » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:21 am

loftar wrote:
NOOBY93 wrote:It's a laptop, how good can the cooling really be?

Unless it's a netbook or tablet, it shouldn't have to throttle.

I've got laptop.
My standard client works, slow, but works. Custom client (Amber) dies everytime I am at swamp/fen. All those flying dragonflies, jumping fogs&toads makes the client crashed.

P.S.
Win 7, Hp Elitebook 840.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
Kmab

Postby dafels » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:06 am

Switching combat desks while in combat, noice.
dafels

Postby NOOBY93 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:19 am

maze wrote:
NOOBY93 wrote:2. Drinking while running, so you don't die so easily while outnumbered

No. The System is already being change for water, im sure loftar can explan again to what he thinks is good.
But most water wins combat was shit in it's own.

NOOBY93 wrote:3. Make combat a bit more one-shotty or put in a surprise factor in any case, so as to make skill more of a factor, mistakes more of a factor and stats less of a factor. Right now it's very, very easy to predict what your opponent wants to do and is going to do. In old combat there were plenty of yolo surprise moves that damage you and give you attack bar, remove your defense and give you attack bar, etc. and those used wrong could get you killed, but used right could win you the fight. Combat system currently lacks these.

These things combined with the lack of permadeath would make a really good game.

What? old combat. do you mean world 8 combat?
if you say legacy combat. no. let's never go back to that. all the pvp gods can agree that was the most broken and 1 sided system we had.
More numbers and whoever engage first won.

Have you ever been in combat?

People still carry shitloads of water with them. It was mandatory and it's still mandatory. The only thing that would change is that getting outnumbered hard wouldn't make you basically guaranteed to die. Also now that all water equally heals stamina you can simply fill it up in rivers as you run, so it wouldn't be more water wins anymore.

As for the other comment, I mean old combat as in pre-w8 combat, mostly w6 combat.

I'd like to see which "pvp gods" you are talking about that DON'T want old combat back, Mr. PVP god who has never been in combat and nobody knows who you are
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby jumping1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:41 am

I want old combat back and I'm not even a PvP God
Mr. Boar doesn't like you....
jumping1

Postby Sevenless » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:49 am

infectedking wrote:have you heard of read of anyone this world getting killed by nidbanes yet? This just puts an even bigger nerf on them, guarentee'd if you sent me 5 murder nidbanes, i would kill all of them probably without even losing 50hhp maximum.

9 Q100 nidbanes killed someone. Friend told me because he was happy he got a skull lol.

I kinda doubt it's effective against factions, but smaller timer criminals it can be.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby NOOBY93 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:13 pm

infectedking wrote:have you heard of read of anyone this world getting killed by nidbanes yet?

Yes, plenty of people

infectedking wrote:This just puts an even bigger nerf on them, guarentee'd if you sent me 5 murder nidbanes, i would kill all of them probably without even losing 50hhp maximum.

How do you plan on doing that?
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements