Game Development: Kelp in the Wardrobe

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Kelp in the Wardrobe

Postby tyrtix » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:30 pm

lemme point all to a bit of statistics comprehension: last world started at 800, ended at 200, this one started at 1200, ended at 300 (to be optimistics..) this means player retention WORSENED by 300 units over 1200, this means this world fared worse than the last, in proportion.
Actually this world lost 900 players over a potential of 1200, or 3/4 of the population has gone, last world lost 600 over 800, so basically the same, but in a smaller sample and with less updates, and also in a longer time...project this server in the last one conditions, and you'll see the results.
tyrtix

Postby blank » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:59 pm

ven wrote:You're not wrong, but the way you phrase something is important.
The player count has indeed increased. "How much?" 20 players.

Haven just needs to be put out there, i bet once they put it on steam haven will take off and everyone will bitch about the server lagg XD i could see this game going from 2-300 all the way up to 1k player base
blank

Postby tyrtix » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:07 pm

blank wrote:
ven wrote:You're not wrong, but the way you phrase something is important.
The player count has indeed increased. "How much?" 20 players.

Haven just needs to be put out there, i bet once they put it on steam haven will take off and everyone will bitch about the server lagg XD i could see this game going from 2-300 all the way up to 1k player base

And make the same as Salem did... :)
tyrtix

Postby Potjeh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:21 pm

Haven needs a real endgame before mass advertising.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Granger » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:35 pm

Also please keep in mind that we're talking about concurrent online users, this dosn't tell us much about the amount of accounts that log in per day and even less about the amount of humans behind these.

Concurrent online population is certainly going down when people completed initial base building (the goal of getting a safe haven in the game likely motivates to ignore RL a bit and spend more time infront of the screen than what might be healthy) and 'normal' gaming habits (that don't ignore RL that much) take over.

So (numbers pulled from thin air to make the point) should everyone log in for 12h/day at the start of the world and fall back over time to a more healthy 3h/day we would, when using the concurrent online users metric that is usually been thrown around in such discussions, see a 75% drop in users without actually having lost one single one of them. This also comepletely ignores multi clienting for slave labor alts (terraforming while the mains do other stuff, as one reason) which will cease (or at least reduce) as the world grows older.

Concurrent online users is great to see server load, but it dosn't tell us that much about how many people are actually playing the game.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Luanes » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:21 am

Well, if last world was 200 players and now increased by 20, it's 10%. It's not that bad.

And about the "1200 players on beginning", i'm quite new to the game, first world i've ever played. But the start of the game looks to me when using as many alts as possible are the more rewarding, for skill specialization, minning ( cave-in :D) and hard labor.

So, when the world starts, doesn't mean that actually are more players playing. And since alts now log in only when it's necessary, the number of players online is more close to the number of real players than before.
Luanes

Postby tyrtix » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:38 am

if we keep reading only half of the data we have, or even less, we surely cannot get a full view of the situation... and again, same discussions, same comments, and still not even a single solution, and still the problem is there (well, we're not devs, so we're unable to apply solutions even if found, but at least is good not ignoring the problem)
tyrtix

Postby Adder1234 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:07 am

I think that one of the real problems is that most people just aren't willing to create the player built cities, markets and events that make the game so enjoyable and even when they do, the only way any new players will find out about it is through the forums, and then there's the small matter of travelling. All in all it's not all that player friendly and I understand why all of these things have to be difficult to prevent botting and griefers, but its still annoying.
Adder1234

Postby ctopolon3 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:49 am

about wardrobes: if it can be build outside house but it decays, mb make somelike for cupboards? or make wardrobes like cupboards biuldable only inside house
ctopolon3

Postby algorithm » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:32 pm

ctopolon3 wrote:about wardrobes: if it can be build outside house but it decays, mb make somelike for cupboards? or make wardrobes like cupboards biuldable only inside house

bbut loom... :roll:
algorithm wrote:Cape awarded? ;)

jorb wrote:Oh, for sure. Delivery 2022. ;)
algorithm

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements