Game Development: Credobility

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Credobility

Postby loftar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:05 pm

loftar wrote:Edit; On checking, I'm crashing too. Not immediately sure why since the resource Jar should be there. Investigating...

Should be fixed now. Just a missing commit.

Amanda44 wrote:at the moment I assume all credos are available to one character and are not limited as in the link suggestion, you have to chose a path to follow ... but are you planning to head down that route with future development of the system?

All credos are available, yes, but the idea is that (especially with more ones added) it should be quite hard to catch 'em all given the increasing cost of doing that, unless you also die a few times in the meantime.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Ysh » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:06 pm

Amanda44 wrote:This looks like an interesting idea, at the moment I assume all credos are available to one character and are not limited as in the link suggestion, you have to chose a path to follow ... but are you planning to head down that route with future development of the system?

jorb wrote:In order to complete a Credo you need to complete 10 quests per Credo you already have, so 10 for the first Credo, 20 for the second, and 30 for the third, and so on.

jorb wrote:I'm fairly pumped for future developments. The Credos will of course be organized in a skill tree, so that learning some unlocks others (Forager -> Lumberjack, Farmer, &c), and, given that this type of character development -- running quests -- isn't trivial to just slap a bot on and call it a day, we can potentially tie in some pretty crazy abilities the farther down the rabbit hole you go. There is also the possibility to tie it to the usual skills, crafts, builds, hearth magics, and all kinds of things, which could go a long way toward, again, some meaningful character differentiation.

Reading patch is good idea before ask question maybe.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Granger » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:06 pm

jorb wrote:We've been developing, and here's what's new.

a blast from the past
IMHO it would be a good idea to post such concepts prior to coding them, to get some discussion and feedback about them. Could save on stuff like:
[*] In order to complete a Credo you need to complete 10 quests per Credo you already have, so 10 for the first Credo, 20 for the second, and 30 for the third, and so on. The five special abilities of each Credo are linearly unlocked for every fifth of the total questline you complete. The number of quests you need to complete is reduced by ten every time you die, to the initial minimum of ten.
[*] Completed Credos are inherited in their entirety when you die.
[*] Initiating the pursuit of a Credo costs an amount of LP proportional, again, to the amount of Credos you already have, and the number of times you have died.

New meta for new characters: complete one credo, go swimming to reset to 10 quests, repeat.

[*] Fisherman: Increased speed when swimming.
Now a default prerequisite for combat characters, I guess.

Projectiles hurt animal qualities less.

Please define 'less'.

given that this type of character development -- running quests -- isn't trivial to just slap a bot on and call it a day
Please, don't tempt me.

[*] It is debatable whether quest running is fun enough
Remove the slap-in-the-face rewards ('relieved hunger by 0%' and similar) to make it less unfun.

archs of meaningfully related quests
As long as questgivers can be privatised (or slaughtered en-masse) this won't happen.

Thus, close but no Cigar.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby loftar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:09 pm

Granger wrote:New meta for new characters: complete one credo, go swimming to reset to 10 quests, repeat.

The idea is that it's enough work to get one credo that that shouldn't be worth it, but I guess we'll have to see.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Redlaw » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:12 pm

I am highly invested in my current main, I doupt ill want to kill it to reset and gain ore credos... plus the fact you liely still gain some XP when you get it done helps a bit.
Redlaw

Postby Swordfire » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:14 pm

Burinn wrote:
Swordfire wrote:Why not add giant tree's like the great deku tree in "Ocarina in Time" maybe a "Ancient Windthrow" that is still alive?

He could request things a tree might actually want want like spring water or mulch or it might just open it's mouth and allow access to a dungeon with special shadow beasts

Why not make these suggestions in the suggestion board instead of complaining about it on the patch thread?

My intuition tells me that would be pointless

Just like in Wurm online the older senior players call all the shots new players are powerless to suggest anything

The point being I would have preferred to wait for a proper update than get interrupted by this

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Swordfire

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:15 pm

jorb wrote:
Amanda44 wrote:This looks like an interesting idea, at the moment I assume all credos are available to one character and are not limited as in the link suggestion, you have to chose a path to follow ... but are you planning to head down that route with future development of the system?

There is no intention to limit how many you can have, no. The link is several years old.

Brilliant, then yes, I think this will add quite a bit to the game ... 8-) ... but yeah quests do need a bit of work to make them more fun/less tedious, they are good in that they get you out and about, I like quests early game, :) , but once they end up being huge distances away you neither have the time or can be bothered for the rewards they offer at the moment.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Ysh » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:16 pm

Granger wrote:
jorb wrote:We've been developing, and here's what's new.

a blast from the past
IMHO it would be a good idea to post such concepts prior to coding them, to get some discussion and feedback about them. Could save on stuff like:

Small refinement like you suggesting is easy enough to make after concept is already coded up. If basic idea is some thing jorb and loftar is wanting, they are adding it now and fixing it later.
Granger wrote:
[*] In order to complete a Credo you need to complete 10 quests per Credo you already have, so 10 for the first Credo, 20 for the second, and 30 for the third, and so on. The five special abilities of each Credo are linearly unlocked for every fifth of the total questline you complete. The number of quests you need to complete is reduced by ten every time you die, to the initial minimum of ten.
[*] Completed Credos are inherited in their entirety when you die.
[*] Initiating the pursuit of a Credo costs an amount of LP proportional, again, to the amount of Credos you already have, and the number of times you have died.

New meta for new characters: complete one credo, go swimming to reset to 10 quests, repeat.

Possibly issue. But I think there is option for fixing if it is real.

Granger wrote:
[*] Fisherman: Increased speed when swimming.
Now a default prerequisite for combat characters, I guess.

I have seen some very aggressive men who do much fighting that can not swim at all. But yes, adding more perk to game requires to get some perk to be optimal builds. I think they call these ''content.''

Granger wrote:
Projectiles hurt animal qualities less.

Please define 'less'.

Not as much as before.
Granger wrote:
given that this type of character development -- running quests -- isn't trivial to just slap a bot on and call it a day
Please, don't tempt me.

Granger is big botting player? This is news to me.
Granger wrote:
[*] It is debatable whether quest running is fun enough
Remove the slap-in-the-face rewards ('relieved hunger by 0%' and similar) to make it less unfun.

Agree.
Granger wrote:
archs of meaningfully related quests
As long as questgivers can be privatised (or slaughtered en-masse) this won't happen.

Could move to other giver, but it is a bit not ideal.
Granger wrote:Thus, close but no Cigar.

Please read whole patch before comment:
jorb wrote:Implemented "Cigar", smokable, and curiosity.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:22 pm

loftar wrote:
Amanda44 wrote:at the moment I assume all credos are available to one character and are not limited as in the link suggestion, you have to chose a path to follow ... but are you planning to head down that route with future development of the system?

All credos are available, yes, but the idea is that (especially with more ones added) it should be quite hard to catch 'em all given the increasing cost of doing that, unless you also die a few times in the meantime.

I think that sounds good, I love a challenge! :D
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby ven » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:40 pm

Best update since pathfinding.
Venator
ven

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements