Game Development: Credobility

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Credobility

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:50 pm

ven wrote:Best update since pathfinding.

+ 1 ... I love pathfinding! When you have a row of cupboards you need to check in and you just slide effortlessly along them ... bliss! :D
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:52 pm

jorb wrote:I would like to develop the quest system significantly. Ideally, the quest-givers should have personalities, abilities, a conversation system by which you can interact with them to acheive goals and extract information, and the ability to tie together various, more complex, story archs of meaningfully related quests, based on the quest givers' relative likes, dislikes, and other relations to other quest-givers, and such. It's a huge project, and I'm not sure how best to approach it, but this at least creates a strong incentive to try.

Please make it so people can't just cut down all the quest givers if this is your goal. I remember early on people would build roads to them and you got these cool road networks with quest giver names. But then they just started getting cut down/chipped away and people just stopped bothering with them.
DDDsDD999

Postby algorithm » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:52 pm

Where can i find this credos?
algorithm wrote:Cape awarded? ;)

jorb wrote:Oh, for sure. Delivery 2022. ;)
algorithm

Postby Granger » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:53 pm

algorithm wrote:Where can i find this credos?

Character window, one would guess.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Scilly_guy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:00 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:Please make it so people can't just cut down all the quest givers if this is your goal. I remember early on people would build roads to them and you got these cool road networks with quest giver names. But then they just started getting cut down/chipped away and people just stopped bothering with them.

This! I did wonder about making the "spirit" transfer to another nearby tree/rock, or perhaps just have a new tree grow from the stump/on the same spot.
Scilly_guy

Postby Granger » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:04 pm

Scilly_guy wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:Please make it so people can't just cut down all the quest givers if this is your goal. I remember early on people would build roads to them and you got these cool road networks with quest giver names. But then they just started getting cut down/chipped away and people just stopped bothering with them.

This! I did wonder about making the "spirit" transfer to another nearby tree/rock, or perhaps just have a new tree grow from the stump/on the same spot.

Regrowing the tree would most likely be exploited (privatize it and you'll have an endless supply of firewood), so moving the spirit to an adjacent object would make more sense.
Especially should said spirit dislike objects that are claimed and travel a bit further in that case.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby jorb » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:17 pm

It would be cool if players could be incentivized to keep quest givers open, and protect them.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby loftar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:22 pm

I'm curious what experiences you have. In my area, I've only lost two quest-givers that I've had quests against, and the road networks and their destinations seem mostly intact, so in my experience this hasn't been much of a problem at all.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:27 pm

loftar wrote:

I'm curious what experiences you have. In my area, I've only lost two quest-givers that I've had quests against, and the road networks and their destinations seem mostly intact, so in my experience this hasn't been much of a problem at all.

Lost a shit-ton of them early game and then I just decided to give up on quests. People were complaining early game all the time about this shit. We just stopped building roads to them, and I know a lot of other villages did to. Maybe with these new incentives people will try to keep up with the quest-givers, idk. But just getting them chopped down by naked alts and randoms is really tedious.

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=53338
DDDsDD999

Postby sMartins » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:33 pm

Very nice one! :D

For quest i suggest something related to the map coordinates ... you find the x coordinate, then the y, so you can find the place ... something on this line should not be too hard and giving fun and more sense to eploration.
If you are not sure to give or not coordinates on the map ... the reality is everyone already has them.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements