Game Development: Heart on Fire

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Heart on Fire

Postby loftar » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:15 am

Sigilius wrote:I keep crashing - restarted browser, same.

Oops, I seem to have missed a commit. Should be fixed now.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby ricky » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:16 am

well water, melted snow water, spring water, ice water, hot water, piss, river water, lake water, stale water, swamp water, rain water, cave water, i just cooked 400 mussels in this cauldron water...

the possibilities are endless.
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby sMartins » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:29 am

ghandhikus wrote:Water
LP system
This game should get rid of need of alts. Compare it to runescape, where every skill is trained by using it. Make it so that character needs to get some experience by using a skill before LP can be spent on it. And reduce LP necessary to do so. Thanks to it, people who actually spend time on their characters will get rewarded. And we won't have pesky single stat alts fed best curio through the whole game.

Yeah ... this is probably the easier way, also maybe skills could be linked together at least a couple of them each, i mean capped by others skills ... idk something like you cannot have 20 explo if first you don't have at least 10 survival ... and so on. That was just a random example.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Ants » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:00 am

Wooo, awesome! I like the irrlights a lot.

ricky wrote:well water, melted snow water, spring water, ice water, hot water, piss, river water, lake water, stale water, swamp water, rain water, cave water, i just cooked 400 mussels in this cauldron water...

the possibilities are endless.

Piss, you say? Maybe virgin boy eggs should be added to the game. ¦]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_boy_egg
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:05 am

ghandhikus wrote:LP system
This game should get rid of need of alts. Compare it to runescape, where every skill is trained by using it. Make it so that character needs to get some experience by using a skill before LP can be spent on it. And reduce LP necessary to do so. Thanks to it, people who actually spend time on their characters will get rewarded. And we won't have pesky single stat alts fed best curio through the whole game.

Two words: "World Four." Don't know about it? Try the wayback machine. We have the curio system because the machines took over the world.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby ven » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:09 am

I'm aware it's just wishful thinking, but this talk of potable water and new ways of starting fires do give the survival feels.

#seasons
Venator
ven

Postby sMartins » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:29 am

MagicManICT wrote:
ghandhikus wrote:LP system

Two words: "World Four." Don't know about it? Try the wayback machine. We have the curio system because the machines took over the world.

Yeah that is true also, but if we combine more stuff together is always better ... i think. He was not saying to remove curios.
A combination of multiple features, but none of them too annoying in itself may work well and also be fun.
A genuine player has no problem to forage some herbs and for example having some points in survival first, before he can actually spend more points.
Doesn't need to be per point also, lets say you are capped at a certain level untill you haven't done at least some actions in the game, or capped by some Others skills.
You start a fresh char for example, you have your survival capped to 10, but as soon you do some stuff with it your cap becomes 25, but then you cannot have 50 survival if you haven't at least 10 will ... and so on. A normal player should almost not even see this. Cause would be natural.
This way you cannot start an alt, feeding him tons of curios, then coming back 1 month later and you have 1k points in one skill.
(On the other side you can have 2-3 chars that actually are playing the game and making the right choices for skills to get and actions to do in the game).
I mean, i'm not totally against that (the alt feeding thing), but for sure is ugly and not fun ..... Not good for the game in my opinion.

Pretty much would be an improved experience feature, or rebalancing of experience related to each skills.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Redlaw » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:21 am

Added "Stained Glass Heart", curiosity, wall decoration.

Anyone know what is needed to make that?
Redlaw

Postby sabinati » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:13 am

you just need stains, some glass, and a heart, obviously
sabinati

Postby Granger » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:21 am

blank wrote:
food cooked with it, and we may be looking to add more kinds of water down the road

SWAMP WATER.

Which would all belong to me, naturally.

Fun aside, regarding the LP system: I find it strange that you can, with the spin of a mouse wheel and the click of a button, instantly turn a character from being a complete moron into being proficient in a particular area. This was somewhat removed from combat with the discoveries, but there we're basically back to W4 as we need to kill wagonloads of animal loaded wagons (unless you simply study +5 parchments).

Regarding credos: the increase in quests per completed credo should be reevaluated. As it looks now the optimal strategy for a new character is to simply kill it off and inheriting after completing each credo to reset the quest count, the effective +LP rewards (+50 farming, or whatever) can easily be offset by curios while the interesting benefits (like speed bonus for this, more yield for that, whatever) are kept for the descendant.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements