Game Development: Smithy Butterfly

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Smithy Butterfly

Postby jordancoles » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:38 am

The supports are good for making pretty screenshots but they're nowhere near practical.

They cost 8 metal bars and have a radius of 13.
Stone supports cost 1 bar, 30 stones and they have a radius of 11.

Purely a cosmetic addition I guess.

It would be nice to see them buffed to 21 tiles since they're fully made out of metal and have 8x's the cost. I would assume a completely metal support is stronger than the stone pillar so shouldn't it be able to support more tiles/weight?
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Adder1234 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:44 am

jordancoles wrote:The supports are good for making pretty screenshots but they're nowhere near practical.

They cost 8 metal bars and have a radius of 13.
Stone supports cost 1 bar, 30 stones and they have a radius of 11.

Purely a cosmetic addition I guess.

It would be nice to see them buffed to 21 tiles since they're fully made out of metal and have 8x's the cost. I would assume a completely metal support is stronger than the stone pillar so shouldn't it be able to support more tiles/weight?

I was thinking that they should have a bonus of drastically reducing slime numbers spawning from tiles covered by the support. Or maybe removing slimes spawning completely. It doesn't make much sense but at least it would give them a use.
Adder1234

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:08 am

area of wood mine support: ~254
area of stone column: ~380
area of new metal support: ~531

That's about a 40% increase in covered space... just sayin. Maybe it's reasonable, maybe it should be a couple bars cheaper.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Granger » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:20 am

Being able to compost bones is a massive early world quality booster, the blacksmith ones another.
IMHO bad as the numbers get bigger quicker and spiralling is boosted instead of being reduced.

Wrought should be reworked to consume two blooms and always return one wrought instead of what is now, that would get rid of excessive metal qualities (as you couldn't simply pour 1k bars into a bot anymore). Then I wouldn't have that big of a problem with the 'small' quality boni and the 2:1 for the blacksmith.

Speaking of 'found another one': while it's nice it's also an effective addiction trigger, thus evil.

In case the support range would (in a future world) would be reduced the deeper you go, so that the wooden ones only support 2-3 tiles range (as the load increases), the metal ones could see a use (apart from larping). As they can be made from tin the cost isn't that big of an issue.

Saddlebag and container opening with item on cursor is nice QoL, thanks for that, added decorations are also always nice.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:24 am

MagicManICT wrote:area of wood mine support: ~254
area of stone column: ~380
area of new metal support: ~531

That's about a 40% increase in covered space... just sayin. Maybe it's reasonable, maybe it should be a couple bars cheaper.

It's also a cost increase of 800%.

imo instead of going for arbitrary size increases, mine supports should have unique properties. i.e. ones that attract/repel animals, or make the rock softer around it, or increase quality, or other unique things.
DDDsDD999

Postby Granger » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:35 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:imo instead of going for arbitrary size increases, mine supports should have unique properties. i.e. ones that attract/repel animals, or make the rock softer around it, or increase quality, or other unique things.

Them having different sizes makes some sense. Not really into the repel animals thing as that would surely be exploited in new and creative ways.

Making the rock softer should instead be done with fire and water: build one and light it, when it burned down it has heated the tiles in the cardinal directions, which then (for an hour or two, before they cooled naturally) can be treated with a bucket of water (to punctually cool them, cracking the rock) for a 10% reduction in hardness. Would also open the way for 'chilled water' (bucket of water, some snow) that is more effective for this but decays within hours to a normal bucket of water.

Please no quality modification from supports.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby sMartins » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:24 am

Always nice to see all these patches!

With this new butterfly I was thinking, what about a bug catcher Salem style also ... that give you almost 100% chance to get flying critters, while by hand you have some % to fail.
I'd like to see some failing mechanincs here and there that would make the experience more natural and less linear.
Cheers.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby svino » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:35 am

You guys are on fire! 7 updates in 7 weeks, and some of them pretty big updates too!

New mining support is pretty cool, not so useful for industry mining, but pretty cool for underground villages, I love when you add new buildings!

(Expecting hafen to run with quake 3 performance soon) :D
svino

Postby Amanda44 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:35 pm

Nice ... can't wait to find a butterfly. :)

You may now ride with your saddlebags open.
While carrying an item on-hand, you may Ctrl + Right-Click to open containers and gates.

Bonus!
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:38 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:imo instead of going for arbitrary size increases, mine supports should have unique properties. i.e. ones that attract/repel animals, or make the rock softer around it, or increase quality, or other unique things.

Someone earlier suggested decreased slime spawning (think it was "no spawning" in the suggestion). That one seems like a good idea.

Otherwise I think I have to agree with you that the increase in size isn't proportional to the increased cost. I've never had that much spare metal laying around after using it up in equipment upgrades, curios, and other "daily needs" as a solo player. I've read about some people going on about how they have so much excess, though.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements