Game Development: Two Birds With One Patch

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Two Birds With One Patch

Postby DreadDawson » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:38 pm

I hope it is seasons.
DreadDawson

Postby Potjeh » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:38 pm

Can you at least reduce the countdown a bit, so we can figure out how fast time flows in development space? So far all I got is that a couple of weeks means anywhere between a couple of months and eternity. Any upper bound would be welcome.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby The_Blode » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:43 pm

Potjeh wrote:Can you at least reduce the countdown a bit, so we can figure out how fast time flows in development space? So far all I got is that a couple of weeks means anywhere between a couple of months and eternity. Any upper bound would be welcome.

assumption breeds disappointment
The_Blode

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Potjeh wrote:Can you at least reduce the countdown a bit, so we can figure out how fast time flows in development space? So far all I got is that a couple of weeks means anywhere between a couple of months and eternity. Any upper bound would be welcome.

Suspecting two-three weeks.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Potjeh » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Thank you :D
BTW, do these weekly updates take away much from development on this big thing? If so I think I'd rather have no weeklies so we can get the big one sooner.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Daefae33 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:11 pm

Potjeh wrote:Thank you :D
BTW, do these weekly updates take away much from development on this big thing? If so I think I'd rather have no weeklies so we can get the big one sooner.

You shut your hole, I enjoy the small weekly updates with the occasional BIG update.
Daefae33

Postby jordancoles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:36 pm

Weekly updates with a delayed big update is probably better

Adding more critters to make the world more alive doesn't really hurt, as long as they cut it out with the mobs that spawn through mining
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:26 pm

jordancoles wrote:Weekly updates with a delayed big update is probably better

Adding more critters to make the world more alive doesn't really hurt, as long as they cut it out with the mobs that spawn through mining

I'm rather appreciating these little underground challenges. ;)

But if you mean specifically "Spawn when you mine" I can't disagree, though I do approve of the way it makes AFK mining a really bad idea.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:40 pm

Potjeh wrote:Thank you :D

We sit down and dev together three nights a week, spend two of those days on the big stuff, and one on the patches. The rest of the week we work on stuff that we don't need eachother for. I.e. loftar works on the client rewrite, and I on future graphics. I have found the pace to be quite enjoyable in that we get to both push things and keep the pulse of the game going, while dedicating the majority of the time to a bigger implementation.

This particular thing we're working on has taken a bit longer than I would have expected, and had I known that I would perhaps have prioritized differently, but hindsight is 20/20. I think it'll be pretty good, though, so there's still that.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Potjeh » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:47 pm

That's weird, I thought you work together like five days a week. I mean, what's the fun in finishing something if you don't have somebody next to you to brag to :P
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements