Game Development: In Otter News

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: In Otter News

Postby CTheRain » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:27 am

Is that door the entrance to the dream realm?
We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.
CTheRain

Postby spawningmink » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:28 am

Flyrella wrote:
spawningmink wrote:its not the hat, its youre :)

Sorry, whut?

?
ChildhoodObossite wrote:I actually lowkey admire Frosty, sometimes he can be a really cool guy

spawningmink
Under curfew

Postby Flyrella » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:29 am

spawningmink wrote:?

So, how is it going? :D
Flyrella

Postby loftar » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:30 am

Granger wrote:Is it still possible to modify the hat so it reflects the kind of feathers that were used to create it?

While that would be possible, and fun, as a one-off thing, I'm slightly worried about the precedent that it sets. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Kirche » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:31 am

CTheRain wrote:Is that door the entrance to the dream realm?

killing people in their sleep Freddy Krueger style when
Kirche

Postby Tanchist » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:47 am

loftar wrote:
spawningmink wrote:getting this crash when opening Cupboards

Strongly suspect custom client issue. Please verify on default.

You F*ed them all custom clients thoroughly and premeditately gave them no warning about this. Yes, I do believe changing a lot of resource names and nothing else about those resources or what they do (with probably no other reason for it) is a custom client issue.

Gonna wait out a few daws untill my favourite client reappears. Everything about the official client is clumsy. No resizeable text field, taking up the entire bottom of a 1376x720 display with fonts so tiny that it require some concentrate attention to read them, no list of craftable items by name, no mention of Q of anything unless you hover it, no alerts on foreigners nearby, no 1-click-go pick option on minimap, it does not remember where I sent the crafting window out of the way of my movement (Huge window with the same tiny little letters on it and 2 buttons, could have been 10 times smaller no pb), not remembering I want to be running and not walking as default, no numbers anywhere (day and time, percent completed for too long actions, etc.), no mention of softcapping on the uselessly huge crafting window...

Come on, admit it. Custom clients are the quality of life in this game and official simply sucks and alwais had been. Please, try to help more those who help you sell your game, next time, OK? Just try.
Wastelands. Ruins everywhere from proud civilizations, with today's survivors scavenging whatever they can carry even if they can't even use it. Eating rats cooked alive is OK for everyone. Walking around naked is natural, since very few have time to waste in getting a rag to cover their deep wounds. And the game is only Alpha.
Tanchist

Postby Siqle » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:02 am

Tanchist wrote:
loftar wrote:
spawningmink wrote:getting this crash when opening Cupboards

Strongly suspect custom client issue. Please verify on default.

You F*ed them all custom clients thoroughly and premeditately gave them no warning about this. Yes, I do believe changing a lot of resource names and nothing else about those resources or what they do (with probably no other reason for it) is a custom client issue.

Gonna wait out a few daws untill my favourite client reappears. Everything about the official client is clumsy. No resizeable text field, taking up the entire bottom of a 1376x720 display with fonts so tiny that it require some concentrate attention to read them, no list of craftable items by name, no mention of Q of anything unless you hover it, no alerts on foreigners nearby, no 1-click-go pick option on minimap, it does not remember where I sent the crafting window out of the way of my movement (Huge window with the same tiny little letters on it and 2 buttons, could have been 10 times smaller no pb), not remembering I want to be running and not walking as default, no numbers anywhere (day and time, percent completed for too long actions, etc.), no mention of softcapping on the uselessly crafting window...

Come on, admit it. Custom clients are the quality of life in this game and official simply sucks and alwais had been. Please, try to help more those who help you sell your game, next time, OK? Just try.

Forgot to take your "chill pill" this morning eh?
Siqle

Postby Tanchist » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:06 am

Siqle wrote:Forgot to take your "chill pill" this morning eh?

No, man, I am just mixing up q 12 and q 40 in recipes because I did not hover over everything, annoyed by the crafting window getting over my cupboard inventory. Crappy q as a result. I am still new, q 40 or q 23 for me is a big difference. Amber showed me q on every item's icon, official client doesn't. So I'll stay offline till Amber works fine again. Or untill W11, probably, whichever happens first. And there are many others like me, believe me, chilled or hot. I do not want to play on official client, and I hate when they try to force me to.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I love this game, its ideas and how are they implemented. It's just the HUD of it that sucks so bad that nobody can hope to get a better one by improving it. Scrap and redesign from scratch with the idea of giving to the user the data he may need just by focusing on it, without mouse menus. It's a step towards ergonomy. All the relevant data related to the game must be already on screen whenever the user may need it. Start with remaining HP out of total HP in fights. I can see mine very well, but I do not see my oponent's data when the game knows it. If my client knows it, why does it keep it hidden from me? And all the other data. Coords on map, q of things, etc. And that would only be a beginning. Data hidden in secrecy like it's some secret only high initiates deserve to know is not the only flaw of the official client :)
Last edited by Tanchist on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wastelands. Ruins everywhere from proud civilizations, with today's survivors scavenging whatever they can carry even if they can't even use it. Eating rats cooked alive is OK for everyone. Walking around naked is natural, since very few have time to waste in getting a rag to cover their deep wounds. And the game is only Alpha.
Tanchist

Postby Granger » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:13 am

loftar wrote:
Granger wrote:Is it still possible to modify the hat so it reflects the kind of feathers that were used to create it?

While that would be possible, and fun, as a one-off thing, I'm slightly worried about the precedent that it sets. :)

Visually diversity is more pretty and interesting than same-same (pockets for other stuff as merc robes would solve another 'all look the same') it would imho be a good long-term thing to reflect what materials were used to craft the items. Possibly you could put that into the client rewrite (like the ability to tint or recolor a texture in the render pipeline to create the illusion of an axe made of iron,bronze or steel actually being made form that material instead of being all the same visually) to make the game more interesting to look at?

Tanchist wrote:I do not want to play on official client, and I hate when they try to force me to.

I'm confident that the devs don't want to force you to use the official client only (then they would push an incompatible closed source one), so please give the authors of the custom ones a bit to pull in the changes. Amber will most likely be up to the task within a day.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby loftar » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:14 am

Tanchist wrote:Come on, admit it. Custom clients are the quality of life in this game and official simply sucks and alwais had been. Please, try to help more those who help you sell your game, next time, OK? Just try.

Whatever you may think about that, I can't take responsibility for the changes the custom clients have made to the code.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements