Planned downtime: Server move

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Planned downtime: Server move

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:36 pm

Hetzner, our server hosting company, has decided that it needs to move the Haven server physically. It's not just our server that is affected, but rather it is apparently part of a large-scale renovation of the data-center that it is hosted in, and as such it seems to be a fairly big deal. Accordingly, they'll need to shut the servers for a couple of hours while they are being moved. To ensure that I have a reliable back-up before then, I will, in my turn, have to shut the server down a fair bit prior to that, in order to have time to make a latest backup and transfer it off-site.

Here's the schedule, all times are in UTC:
  • 2017-11-28 20:00: I'll shut the game server down in order to make a latest back-up and transfer it off-site. The web server and forum will still be up during this time.
  • 2017-11-28 21:30: Hetzner will shut the server down physically to commence the move. Because the server is entirely down, the website and forum will be offline as well.
  • 2017-11-29 05:00: This is when Hetzner predicts the server will be back
As with any such large operation, one should perhaps take Hetzner's word on 05:00 with a grain of salt. Perhaps everything goes better than expected and the server is back much sooner, or perhaps it takes much longer; who knows. Because I don't know exactly when the server will be back online, I also can't really tell whether I'll have had to go to bed before it's back up again.

All in all, therefore, I can't predict with any accuracy when the server will be up again. As such, if anything happens that deviates from the above schedule, I'll post an update on http://www.seatribe.se/, which is hosted on a different server unaffected by the move. If I don't update it anyhow, consider that meaning that everything seems to be going to plan.

And yes, I know: how dare they cause us downtime, like, once every seven years? My human rights have been completely violated, and I am highly triggered by this transgression.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Re: Planned downtime: Server move

Postby Redlaw » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:20 pm

Well I do hope the move goes wel... worse case we get a new world... but things keep ticking as they are is good to. So to me past the fact the game will be gone for a bit. Its a win eitherway depending on how things happen during the move.
Redlaw

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:22 am

And here's me hoping that they drop the server and everything starts again! NEW WORLD TIME.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby leeor_net » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:25 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:And here's me hoping that they drop the server and everything starts again! NEW WORLD TIME.

That's what backups are for. :P
leeor_net

Postby loftar » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:29 am

Now, now, do I really need to explicitly point out in any post I make about technical maintenance that it won't mean a new world? Whatever happens, I'll have a backup, and if the backup is bad, then that means far greater problems than just a new world, so that's the absolute last thing I'd let happen.
loftar

Postby kirion » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:50 am

I'm going to assume that progresses like steel-making will simply halt during the downtime? Seems obvious but i like to ask anyway.
kirion

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:52 am

this is absolutely unacceptable, u guys can make up for it with a new hat in the store upon reboot tho...
ChildhoodObesity

Postby loftar » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:55 am

kirion wrote:I'm going to assume that progresses like steel-making will simply halt during the downtime? Seems obvious but i like to ask anyway.

Correct. All time-dependent processes will be halted, and that also includes the ticking of subscription time.
loftar

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:03 am

loftar wrote:Now, now, do I really need to explicitly point out in any post I make about technical maintenance that it won't mean a new world? Whatever happens, I'll have a backup, and if the backup is bad, then that means far greater problems than just a new world, so that's the absolute last thing I'd let happen.

Not at all Loftar, but one can hope. :)
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby shubla » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:54 am

I thought that you were finally going to change from that cheap weird german host to something good like ovh. But no, its a loong downtime caused by them!

Sad!

loftar wrote:Now, now, do I really need to explicitly point out in any post I make about technical maintenance that it won't mean a new world? Whatever happens, I'll have a backup, and if the backup is bad, then that means far greater problems than just a new world, so that's the absolute last thing I'd let happen.

It is indeed quite a wild assumption by playerbase that any server maintenace by you results in loss of all files.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Next

Return to Announcements