Game Development: Bull Lizard

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bull Lizard

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:51 pm

sMartins wrote:Nah ... it's cool you can miss it ... just take a bit of practice, otherwise it's too easy ... if it was for me I'd add a random miss also from time to time ...

yea well youre clearly insane ok. maybe for a retard like u to kick it against a wall over and over again with 30 second wait periods to line up your kick its not bad, but if you wanna play any cool games with it ur just running past it 10 million times its terrible. also its REAL bad playing on high ping its seriously impossible!!!

B I G G E R
H I T B O X
ChildhoodObesity

Postby blank » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:51 pm

loftar wrote:
DaniAngione wrote:Besides all that, however, what I wanted to say was far more simple: an easy and good solution, if you ask me, is to allow *any* head item to be worn as a cosmetic hat.

While I agree that it sucks that there are too few choices for "top-level" gear, I also don't like going down the route where appearance has no connection to the effects of the clothes. I do like that it's possible to deduce things about a player from watching what they wear.

Amanda44 wrote:
Granger wrote:I would prefer a way to dye clothing.

Actually, yes, I would much prefer that too, but we have been asking to dye things for such a long time that I've sort of given up on it, maybe it's too complicated or too much work to implement ... idk.

While it wouldn't be particularly technically difficult to implement some kind of parameterized clothing, the question of just what kind would actually be good, game-wise and appearance-wise, is a more complex one.

Hermine coat/cloak, merc robe for sure should be able to change colors.
blank

Postby Potjeh » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:52 pm

sabinati wrote:
jorb wrote:Made it so that the Leather Ball can be kicked around with some mild physics. Fun stuff!

now i just need to get spiff and lpzie to come back and build the leeches stadium again

Wasn't that a handegg stadium though?
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Amanda44 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:10 pm

loftar wrote:
Amanda44 wrote:
Granger wrote:I would prefer a way to dye clothing.

Actually, yes, I would much prefer that too, but we have been asking to dye things for such a long time that I've sort of given up on it, maybe it's too complicated or too much work to implement ... idk.

While it wouldn't be particularly technically difficult to implement some kind of parameterized clothing, the question of just what kind would actually be good, game-wise and appearance-wise, is a more complex one.

Maybe just the items that include silk as a material? Though I would actually exclude the Hermine Cape and Hermine Cloak for the reason that they were intended to be worn by royalty and red is the traditional colour of such garments. Personally I would be happy with that. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby DaniAngione » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:15 pm

loftar wrote:
DaniAngione wrote:Besides all that, however, what I wanted to say was far more simple: an easy and good solution, if you ask me, is to allow *any* head item to be worn as a cosmetic hat.

While I agree that it sucks that there are too few choices for "top-level" gear, I also don't like going down the route where appearance has no connection to the effects of the clothes. I do like that it's possible to deduce things about a player from watching what they wear.

But doesn't the cosmetic hats already do that?
I mean, yes, it's different because when you see someone with a cosmetic hat you assume/know it is not the hat they are actually wearing.
However, the rest of the gear is usually what matters the most for identification - if the character is wearing nettle clothes and a fishing rod, you can almost certainly "deduce" it probably is not a fighter or too dangerous, while I doubt anyone would "fall" to a merch robe, B12 wielding guy with a spruce cap.

So yeah, as long as it remains restricted to head items, I don't really see how different from what cosmetic hats already do that would be. In fact, saying that almost makes it feel like cosmetic hats are some sort of "pay to win" way to hide your actual head item - a benefit you can not utilize yourself if you do not own any store hats :P
(I don't think that, just saying that this line of thought could come from that philosophy)
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby sMartins » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:44 pm

ChildhoodObesity wrote:
sMartins wrote:Nah ... it's cool you can miss it ... just take a bit of practice, otherwise it's too easy ... if it was for me I'd add a random miss also from time to time ...

yea well youre clearly insane ok. maybe for a retard like u to kick it against a wall over and over again with 30 second wait periods to line up your kick its not bad, but if you wanna play any cool games with it ur just running past it 10 million times its terrible. also its REAL bad playing on high ping its seriously impossible!!!

B I G G E R
H I T B O X

Git gud son ... you just need to shift click over the ball, not that difficult
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Granger » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:02 pm

loftar wrote:While it wouldn't be particularly technically difficult to implement some kind of parameterized clothing, the question of just what kind would actually be good, game-wise and appearance-wise, is a more complex one.
Let us tint them with pigments.
Technically it would be a color correction pass on the texture while rendering, like saturation and hue sliders work in the usual image manipulation programs.

For the start: Give us the abillity to repeatedly tint stuff (the more often one does it, the higher the saturation, in case different dyes are used the result is a mix of them) and some bleach (vinnegar) to reset the process. Then let us play with it a for a while and we'll report how it works out and if it needs improving.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Amanda44 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Granger wrote:
loftar wrote:While it wouldn't be particularly technically difficult to implement some kind of parameterized clothing, the question of just what kind would actually be good, game-wise and appearance-wise, is a more complex one.
Let us tint them with pigments.
Technically it would be a color correction pass on the texture while rendering, like saturation and hue sliders work in the usual image manipulation programs.

For the start: Give us the abillity to repeatedly tint stuff (the more often one does it, the higher the saturation, in case different dyes are used the result is a mix of them) and some bleach (vinnegar) to reset the process. Then let us play with it a for a while and we'll report how it works out and if it needs improving.

Right ... I misunderstood what he was saying (Loftar). I don't understand why we can't just simply pick a colour and dye it which would result in the merch robe, for example, being blue with the same look and texture as it has now ... we can do it with hair ... and building mats ... I don't understand what makes cloth dying different.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby sabinati » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:11 pm

Potjeh wrote:
sabinati wrote:
jorb wrote:Made it so that the Leather Ball can be kicked around with some mild physics. Fun stuff!

now i just need to get spiff and lpzie to come back and build the leeches stadium again

Wasn't that a handegg stadium though?

i mean, it was, but that's not important
sabinati

Postby loftar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:11 pm

Granger wrote:Technically it would be a color correction pass on the texture while rendering, like saturation and hue sliders work in the usual image manipulation programs.

That is indeed one of many possible approaches to it. :)
(Though it should be said that it's just the start of an approach, as it doesn't discuss how to handle such things as highlights or special details on the clothes.)

Clearly, I don't mean to say that it can't be done, i'm merely saying that Jorb and I would need to discuss it, work out the smaller details and come to conclusions that are inspiring enough, and that we just haven't done that yet. In other words, the problem isn't primarily a technical one.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements