Game Development: Bull Lizard

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bull Lizard

Postby NOOBY93 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:42 pm

sMartins wrote:Wow the ball physics is not bad at all, pretty neat ... I only suggest if possible to add some random degree, maybe between -30° + 30° ( or 10-15) .... cause right now it goes too straight, check on the side of your palisade to see what i mean.

Small random degree could be cool, 10-15 sounds good, but it's way too fucking fast, needs to be slower, bigger deacceleration, much less elastic and more plastic (less bouncy), and it could be a very good thing
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:13 pm

B I G G E R
H I T B O X
ChildhoodObesity

Postby blank » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:17 pm

ChildhoodObesity wrote:B I G G E R
H I T B O X

this
blank

Postby sMartins » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:59 pm

Nah ... it's cool you can miss it ... just take a bit of practice, otherwise it's too easy ... if it was for me I'd add a random miss also from time to time ...
Last edited by sMartins on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby DaniAngione » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:59 pm

Adder1234 wrote:The more I think about it the more ideas I have for ball games now. Pretty sure that Aurora is going to be hosting the hearthling equivalent of the olympics at this rate.

To be honest we are kind of planning it indeed xD

jorb wrote:Reason being that, A) Things which fit the lore and theme perfectly should arguably be ingame items possible to craft, and B) That some aspect of the store hats was some intended comic relief, though I have been trying to make them perhaps a notch less silly than bicycle helmets and beer hats.

I completely agree with the reasoning. However, this is prettier in theory than in reality, unfortunately, due to relatively unbalanced item statistics. Especially when considering armor, you end up with no more options than dragon helmets and maybe the cheaper alternative of winged helmets (towards the end of the game), leaving a wide array of would-be-cool helmet options behind: bronze, thane's, druid's, steel, etc...

For example, winged helmet baseline stats (q10) are literally better than steel helmet's baseline (q10) stats, even though it uses a less refined and easier to acquire metal set and... feathers, which are not exactly challenging to obtain. This makes the steel helmet completely useless.

I understand it is not easy to balance items in a game this big and perhaps even balancing wouldn't be enough as new "metas" would arise. So maybe adding some kind of advantage/disadvantage to each helmet (things like the implementation of "damage types") would be a nice option.

Besides all that, however, what I wanted to say was far more simple: an easy and good solution, if you ask me, is to allow *any* head item to be worn as a cosmetic hat. Let people choose if they want safari hats, druid helmets, fox hats or silly crab cones on their heads. It's a harmless change, adds variety and finally gives some cool purpose (even if only visual for now) to the nice helmets and hats in the game.

Edit: Heck, you could even make it so that this is a "Subscriber" benefit - the ability to equip any in-game hat as a cosmetic hat.
Real item hats would be dropped on KO, of course ;)
Last edited by DaniAngione on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby sMartins » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Oh also now we need a fake stone ball curiosity, similiar to the leather one to prank your friends :D ... when you go to kick it you get broken feet injury :D
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Nikitan83 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:13 pm

Ooh yes please let us be able to wear in game hats as cosmetic hats!! Will offer even more variety of looks for characters. This is a great idea :)
W4: Bucket slave
W6: Hermit
W7: LS of Siberia, Cornucopia, SwagzillaYoloCity
W8: LS of Fire & Ice
W9: Queen of Fire & Ice
W10: Queen of Fire & Ice
W11: Queen of Yggdrasil
W12: LS of Lake Town
Nikitan83

Postby Granger » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:23 pm

Regarding cosmetics: these should be hidden while in combat.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby loftar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:24 pm

DaniAngione wrote:Besides all that, however, what I wanted to say was far more simple: an easy and good solution, if you ask me, is to allow *any* head item to be worn as a cosmetic hat.

While I agree that it sucks that there are too few choices for "top-level" gear, I also don't like going down the route where appearance has no connection to the effects of the clothes. I do like that it's possible to deduce things about a player from watching what they wear.

Amanda44 wrote:
Granger wrote:I would prefer a way to dye clothing.

Actually, yes, I would much prefer that too, but we have been asking to dye things for such a long time that I've sort of given up on it, maybe it's too complicated or too much work to implement ... idk.

While it wouldn't be particularly technically difficult to implement some kind of parameterized clothing, the question of just what kind would actually be good, game-wise and appearance-wise, is a more complex one.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby sabinati » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:48 pm

jorb wrote:Made it so that the Leather Ball can be kicked around with some mild physics. Fun stuff!

now i just need to get spiff and lpzie to come back and build the leeches stadium again
sabinati

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements