Game Development: Princess Thraxyr's Endless Levee of Dreams

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Princess Thraxyr's Endless Levee of Dr

Postby Tanchist » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:24 pm

I am hermiting not because I like to. But as a late starter everyone I meet just want me gone, not near them, not near roads, not near teleporters, not near caves or any good quality nodes of anything. They would only agree to let me live and play if I promise not to mine, explore, or claim anywhere. I can't play like this. I can only befriend those who don't try to kill me on sight or show their great mercy and only chase me away after I build a base, leaving me only with my life and what I can carry in my inventory. Therefore I have very few friends and they are not always online when I need urgent medical care or 10 liters of tar or anything. So I am simply forced by this great community to either play like a hermit or not at all.

Of course I deserve being punished by the game mechanics for hermiting, thank you very much! Any specific idea about the punishment due? I'd very much love to read more about it.

Edit: Unlike many of you I did not come here from Salem. I simply got tired about Minecraft and one day I googled "Survival sandbox". That is how I got here with no friend groups attached, thinking I will make new friends in the new game, just like usual.
Wastelands. Ruins everywhere from proud civilizations, with today's survivors scavenging whatever they can carry even if they can't even use it. Eating rats cooked alive is OK for everyone. Walking around naked is natural, since very few have time to waste in getting a rag to cover their deep wounds. And the game is only Alpha.
Tanchist

Postby NOOBY93 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:52 pm

Tanchist wrote:I am hermiting not because I like to. But as a late starter everyone I meet just want me gone, not near them, not near roads, not near teleporters, not near caves or any good quality nodes of anything. They would only agree to let me live and play if I promise not to mine, explore, or claim anywhere. I can't play like this. I can only befriend those who don't try to kill me on sight or show their great mercy and only chase me away after I build a base, leaving me only with my life and what I can carry in my inventory. Therefore I have very few friends and they are not always online when I need urgent medical care or 10 liters of tar or anything. So I am simply forced by this great community to either play like a hermit or not at all.

Of course I deserve being punished by the game mechanics for hermiting, thank you very much! Any specific idea about the punishment due? I'd very much love to read more about it.

Edit: Unlike many of you I did not come here from Salem. I simply got tired about Minecraft and one day I googled "Survival sandbox". That is how I got here with no friend groups attached, thinking I will make new friends in the new game, just like usual.

You're not forced, you just suck at making friends. Attend an event, be charismatic and pleasant to talk with, and ask if anyone is willing to recruit free slave labor. Don't look like a spy and you'll probably get recruited in some way. It takes a while for people to accept you fully in this game because, unlike in minecraft, there's a lot to lose if you get betrayed.

Look at it this way: you can't make friends IRL by walking up to a group of people hanging out and asking them if they want to be your friend.
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby tyrtix » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Ozzy123 wrote:if you don't know anything about the game and it's mechanics (any you probably don't even play it) what's the point of writing stuff like that?

Your point is irrelevant to me, and beign rude with ppl that knows the game and play it since 2009 is not a good way to make them return playing. Actually i was wrong: worst problem in haven is certainly the toxic community, of wich ppl like you is part.
Keep going with 170 players, i bet devs like ppl doing what you do :)
tyrtix

Postby tyrtix » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:35 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote: Various....

Beliefs follows the same line as credos: they give you some abilities tied to the choice you make, that cannot be replied with increase in stats/abilities. Credos are pretty nice, what i find it may be changed for good is not make them tied togheter, but instead, for example, get better bonuses IF you get more of them that are connected to each other.

About stats: i've not said that it's not easier to get stats, it's just that the change was sort of a nerf to the actual system, wich is quite a different thing. Same nerf could be made by lowering the fep bonus from each recipe BUT keeping them simpler and with less different stat increases for each food: recipes with 5 different stats are simply a non-choice.

Curio: lp/hour is more a thing about the few best curio and their quality. Should be different, with all the stats around curios, we could have meaningful curios overall.

And well, nidbanes, i see we agree about them.
tyrtix

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:30 pm

tyrtix wrote:worst problem in haven is certainly the toxic community, of wich ppl like you is part.

I'd like to see your example of a game without a "toxic community" that has the features that Haven does. Oh right... they don't exist. :roll:

Tanchist wrote:I am hermiting not because I like to. But as a late starter everyone I meet just want me gone, not near them, not near roads, not near teleporters, not near caves or any good quality nodes of anything.

Nooby pretty much nailed the answer. My two cents is you have to put yourself out there and don't be so paranoid. Make a post in Dwarves & Thieves. Yes, there are people that will run you out of areas because you don't know what you're doing. You could run a good foraging node or hunting area. They don't know if you're a spy, potential friend, or just another random.

We all have stories of how we got here. When I got here, a lot of people were still saying "What's Minecraft?" I came here from EVE via the Dwarf Fortress forums (was actually going to join their village, but by the time I started, it had just broken up). The big difference between EVE and Haven and MC are the sheer number of different people you have to interact with. If you don't like someone you can't simply boot them from the server. (This is why MC will never be a true MMO... just a huge lack of persistence and "massiveness" about it, though I understand the servers can host a couple hundred people now.)

And the game doesn't punish you. You choose to play in a less optimal way for whatever reason. Add in a very steep learning curve and heavy penalties for getting it wrong. I get the feeling, but it's just a difficult game where the price for failure is death or at least some serious downtime.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby azrid » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:42 pm

tyrtix wrote:About stats: i've not said that it's not easier to get stats, it's just that the change was sort of a nerf to the actual system, wich is quite a different thing. Same nerf could be made by lowering the fep bonus from each recipe BUT keeping them simpler and with less different stat increases for each food: recipes with 5 different stats are simply a non-choice.

Ingredient bonuses created a lot of new viable foods. It gives you control over what stat you want in a food.
If you know what to bake into your pie or grind into your sausage you can gain stats more effectively than before.
Bottom like is u suck get good.
azrid

Postby drakesaint » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:27 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
tyrtix wrote:worst problem in haven is certainly the toxic community, of wich ppl like you is part.

I'd like to see your example of a game without a "toxic community" that has the features that Haven does. Oh right... they don't exist. :roll:

Anyone that bemoans or belittles a game's community should do everyone a favor and stop playing the game. If you can't handle the community because your feefee's are hurt, you're not a sane individual that belongs to any group. Stop relying on your meds, go outside, take 20mins of sunshine every day, lift some weights and go do something fulfilling on your life, because if your worst problems of a game are everyone else, guess what snowflake; you might be the problem, instead.

It's like a cancer lump having a self-reflection: "You know, I HATE this toxic body I'm living on and reaping benefits from."
drakesaint

Postby strpk0 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:07 pm

tyrtix wrote:
Ozzy123 wrote:if you don't know anything about the game and it's mechanics (any you probably don't even play it) what's the point of writing stuff like that?

Your point is irrelevant to me, and beign rude with ppl that knows the game and play it since 2009 is not a good way to make them return playing. Actually i was wrong: worst problem in haven is certainly the toxic community, of wich ppl like you is part.
Keep going with 170 players, i bet devs like ppl doing what you do :)

The problem is you're assuming people would want a whiny random person on the internet like you to keep playing. They do not. This game was made with overcoming problems in mind (yes, that includes having to deal with toxic people, which by the way, is not REMOTELY close to being as common as you suggest). If you can't handle a little bit of adversity and instead choose to complain and demand everyone else to fix it for you, then please do yourself, and everyone else a favor and don't return to the game.

You won't be missed.

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST.
Last edited by Granger on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: More decency, no 'go away'.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby sMartins » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:09 pm

The forum is toxic to me, not the game. Lot of people freeing their frustations in here ...
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Kaios » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:11 pm

To be fair the game's community has certainly regressed over the last few years, petty betrayals, making enemies and fighting for the most mundane reasons, etc. None of the major factions can even work together without it all going to shit.
Kaios

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements