Game Development: Princess Thraxyr's Endless Levee of Dreams

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Princess Thraxyr's Endless Levee of Dr

Postby Granger » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:45 am

loftar wrote:
Granger wrote:'DPS above a threshold wins' style

I believe this is a critique of the combat system more than anything else, though. Along, for that matter, with most of the other critiques of the beaverdams that I find myself agreeing with.

That comment is about rooms with endless spawning, unless all mobs are killed.

Combine this mechanic with the behaviors your playerbase demonstrated in the past (bears on day 2-3, mammoth in the first week, iirc) and the qualities of the mobs you can harvest in there, multiply with the amount of resources you can carry out there (unlimited) and you should get a glimpse of why I think this is bad (endless supply of intestines, bone glue and rope, plus mulch as you can compost the rest).

I don't know what your master plan is, last time I checked early world (when quality is still so low that the are frequent meaningful opportunities to increase it) was still the most fun part so far... so I wonder why you introduce mechanics that (by themselves or in combination) seem to be aimed at (or exploitable to) speeding up exactly that part.

Plus this introduces another binary for hermits and smaller groups, as you can either off them (and are able to continue toward the loot without many further obstacles, turning that dungeon into a farm) or don't and are guaranteed to hit a dead end.

This additional to pocket universes ruining immersion (at least in my view) as these destroy the experience of a whole world by breaking it into shards.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Myrgard » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:18 am

The endless spawn is the main problem, it ups the difficulty in to an insane lvl, is completely unrealistic, continues with the disgusting practice of leaving dozens of animal corpses in your wake just to rot... it would be 10 times better with a lodge to have a fixed static number of enemies spawned when first entering it
Myrgard

Postby pheonix » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:14 am

Myrgard wrote:The endless spawn is the main problem, it ups the difficulty in to an insane lvl, is completely unrealistic, continues with the disgusting practice of leaving dozens of animal corpses in your wake just to rot... it would be 10 times better with a lodge to have a fixed static number of enemies spawned when first entering it

This is what i thought it should be for the dens, the ones i went into were ok for solo to a point but i reached a point where the spawn was 3 types with a gap of like 5 seconds and with 2 highly geared friends was impossible to overcome. imo it should be larger rooms with packs or solo mobs you slowly clear instead of this super infinite spawn. something like this actually gives hermits a chance at clearing them espcially if you put in ant/rat/bat caves.

As for breaking the immersion for pocket universes i say BAH, this is fun extra content and adds more uniqueness to the land instead of non stop trees and water and i personally love little treasure areas and more life to the world hell more content is always good.
pheonix

Postby thesourceofsadness » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:57 pm

MagicManICT wrote:EVE, man... EVE... lost more ships in "dungeons" to ganks than in organized PvP...

Just because in EvE, like in H&H, friendship always wins.

But people still prefer to play solo, play with their own alt-chars in many windows, and suffer from ganking. "Better rewards", they say. "I don't have to communicate with others", they say.
thesourceofsadness

Postby CSPAN » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:17 pm

Definitely an update that caught my attention. Will return once its refined!
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Postby loftar » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:21 pm

falsewall wrote:What are you using at the moment to design levels jorb?

I'm sure it hasn't escaped you that the beaver lodges are randomly generated, so I'm not sure what you mean.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:26 pm

thesourceofsadness wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:EVE, man... EVE... lost more ships in "dungeons" to ganks than in organized PvP...

But people still prefer to play solo, play with their own alt-chars in many windows, and suffer from ganking. "Better rewards", they say. "I don't have to communicate with others", they say.

Oh, I'd run up to three accounts at once before the "graphics revamp" about 7-8 years ago. It's actually what brought me to Haven. (Thanks CCP!!) Went from being able to run 3 clients with no problem to not even being able to run the game. (Damn you, CCP!!) I mostly broke out all at once on mining ops. I only had one dedicated miner, but I could load up a Brutix with mining lasers and run that along with a Hulk and a cargo runner. A few of the other guys in corp did the same thing.

I had my ways... but I just loved running the lowsec crap for some reason. (Which is where I was always getting ganked.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby hazzor » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:40 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
thesourceofsadness wrote:

Oh, I'd run up to three accounts at once before the "graphics revamp" about 7-8 years ago. It's actually what brought me to Haven. (Thanks CCP!!) Went from being able to run 3 clients with no problem to not even being able to run the game. (Damn you, CCP!!) I mostly broke out all at once on mining ops. I only had one dedicated miner, but I could load up a Brutix with mining lasers and run that along with a Hulk and a cargo runner. A few of the other guys in corp did the same thing.

I had my ways... but I just loved running the lowsec crap for some reason. (Which is where I was always getting ganked.)

it's probably the only HnH and EVE that've ever given me that stomach dropping dread, when you saw something appear on your overview... similarly me and my buddy had left a beaver dam to heal up and when we returned we found that there was already a boat in the entrance.

It also dawned on me at this point that if you murder someone's ass in a beaver den (especially since they can't hearth) and then clear it, that crime didn't happen as far as the world knows. Right?
Oh boy, here I go cheesemaking again...
hazzor

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:56 pm

hazzor wrote:It also dawned on me at this point that if you murder someone's ass in a beaver den (especially since they can't hearth) and then clear it, that crime didn't happen as far as the world knows. Right?

Good question. Let me come kill you and see if a scent is left where the den was. ¦]
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:58 pm

hazzor wrote:It also dawned on me at this point that if you murder someone's ass in a beaver den (especially since they can't hearth) and then clear it, that crime didn't happen as far as the world knows. Right?

What happens in the beaverdam stays in the beaverdam. ^^
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements