Game Development: Princess Thraxyr's Endless Levee of Dreams

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Princess Thraxyr's Endless Levee of Dr

Postby loftar » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Potjeh wrote:Why can't we leave with lifted objects?

That was just an oversight. I've committed a fix, which will be in effect after the next restart.

Thedrah wrote:why random? could you instead make them easy to calculate where the next one spawns and at certain times so we have some competition.

We did consider some options on that theme, like making them "closed off" for a few days after spawning so that people can coordinate for when they open up, and/or perhaps announcing their presence in the area in some way (perhaps even indirectly, like via quests). Feel free to opine.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby azrid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:31 pm

from 30 fps to 4 fps
azrid

Postby DreadDawson » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:37 pm

loftar wrote:
Potjeh wrote:Why can't we leave with lifted objects?

That was just an oversight. I've committed a fix, which will be in effect after the next restart.

Here I was thinking it was to stop people from being able to carry all their kills out without the chance that somebody else goes in and kills the boss before they can bring out all the dead beavers.
DreadDawson

Postby magisticus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:06 pm

loftar wrote:
Thedrah wrote:why random? could you instead make them easy to calculate where the next one spawns and at certain times so we have some competition.

We did consider some options on that theme, like making them "closed off" for a few days after spawning so that people can coordinate for when they open up, and/or perhaps announcing their presence in the area in some way (perhaps even indirectly, like via quests). Feel free to opine.

Maybe just make them more common? Don't see any fun/skill/challenge/satisfaction in spending hours of life searching for a thing, unless it is your intent that people don't search for them but instead just interact when they find them which we know is not how this playerbase approaches things... but maybe that would become the case if further content on a similar theme is added.
magisticus

Postby ricky » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:26 pm

I would rather these events not be so common as to invalidate their existence completely, where people just pass them over. Don't forget that there's going to be a lot more of these dungeons coming as well.

I think maybe a lore-friendly way of seeing where the next dungeon is going to be would be cool and fix having players actively searching for them.

Realm of the Mad God does a similar overworld/dungeon system that is very popular. Perhaps instead of having dungeons randomly spawn you could have rare key/token drops which allow you to unlock randomly spawned dungeons. The downside is mob grinding to get keys, and then we're tiptoeing into that "stereotypically MMO" territory again.

Ultimately:
I feel there should be a way for discovering dungeons without having to search for them
I feel being able to enter them should be limited in such a matter that simply finding one isn't enough (keys, sacrifices, exp/lp costs)
I haven't seen how much regular material such as hide, bone, meat, etc. You can extract from one dungeon, but I hope it isn't enough to stop people from hunting in the overworld.
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby shubla » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:40 pm

I think some quest would be a good idea. Like if you have explorer/warrior credo, you might randomly get quests for nearby ones.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Dakkan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:42 pm

ricky wrote:I haven't seen how much regular material such as hide, bone, meat, etc. You can extract from one dungeon, but I hope it isn't enough to stop people from hunting in the overworld.

A lot, since some rooms will endlessly spawn creatures until you kill them all rapidly enough. I went through a few hundred last night at one point just to see.

I understand that they want to make it a challenge to clear the rooms, but there should probably be a secondary room victory condition after a certain number of kills.
Dakkan

Postby ricky » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:04 pm

I was thinking dungeon mobs simply shouldn't drop materials, and a chest at the end of the dungeon has a sizable amount of meat, hide, bones, loot. Etc.

Would allow players to focus on dungeon crawling inserted of "did I check beaver#345's quality?"
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:06 pm

ricky wrote:I was thinking dungeon mobs simply shouldn't drop materials, and a chest at the end of the dungeon has a sizable amount of meat, hide, bones, loot. Etc.

Would allow players to focus on dungeon crawling inserted of "did I check beaver#345's quality?"

Would also solve the problem of an excess amount of cheap hides, fat, etc floating around.

Should be some extras, but if mobs are going to spawn in large masses, they should be worth little.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Carnation » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:25 pm

what if doing a quest gave you a key and spawned one that only you could enter? and you could lock the door behind so you dont get ganked or some shit.
Carnation

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements