Game Development: Flagging Butcher

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Flagging Butcher

Postby thesourceofsadness » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:49 am

jorb wrote:If that makes anyone happy, I could go for that. Functionally it's the same thing.

Please.

Potjeh wrote:LOL if you're gonna go with necromantic beavers might as well give it a thematic objective, like an object that revives the beavers that you have to try and destroy while the beavers are down or while your friends are holding them off.

Beaver king itself may be the thing that revives it's minions, i guess. Or some kind of altar, or some object player may collect as a curio.
thesourceofsadness

Postby LadyV » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:55 am

jorb wrote:
ricky wrote:You could make an argument that it's still kind of cheesy, but I think it's better than infinitely spawning, unbutcherable beavers.

If that makes anyone happy, I could go for that. Functionally it's the same thing.

No it goes against the spirit of Haven. Just break down and scale dungeons to the number of people in it at one time. No infinite spawns just a set range that is possible to spawn. ie 1-5 per person. (just an example not a set number) Then scale those to the combat abilities of a person so everyone always has a challenge.

Dungeons should never be infinite spawns and every thing should be harvestable. Haven is supposed to be perma-death so stay true to the roots of the game. Go in succeed or don't. If you scale things then everyone has a chance and that makes the game fair.
LadyV

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:34 am

What if we split the difference? Put a white beaver or beavers behind a locked door in the room, make it necessary to slay all the beavers in the room to unlock that door, give the white beavers a deer like ability to heal the beavers in combat. We get some logic behind the scenario (white beavers are beaver shamans), an objective that makes sense (kill all the beavers so you can kill the white bastards), and potentially continuing asshole nation going on. Once the white beavers are out they can STILL raise the other beavers to come back and fight, and heal the little bastards, but now you can target the problem directly.

I'd rather see some visually logical situation like this than have it be 'just because'.

Besides, we know these animals are a bit more than just animals in the traditional sense, so I wouldn't see 'Beaver Shamans' falling outside of a logical scenario.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:09 am

Personally, I would just like the rooms to have a set number, I think that number should increase as you progress through the dungeon but I don't like the continuous respawning and I think bringing them back from the dead is just stupid tbh ... I think if there were set numbers that increased then at least lower tier players or solo players could clear out one or two rooms before having to retreat, whilst I agree that lower tier players or one person should not be able to clear a whole dungeon, a room or two is better than not being able to do any at all.
V and I did one the other day, we got to the third room and were then overpowered, idk how V felt about that but I was happy, I got two curios and a stack of blue wood and as it was the furthest I've gotten in them so far I felt both excitement and a sense of achievement. And I didn't get ko'd and had healed by the following day. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby AntiBlitz » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:10 pm

I still stick to my guns about the "game should be hard" motto. Its how it was introduced to me, and I would like to continue its stigma. I dont think the dungeons should be easy at all, if you need a group, then go find one. It forces interactions in a game where the whole point of it is interactions with others. I dont myself have some large group of folks to do the dungeon runs with, but im sure I could get away with either asking some of the locals, or asking HH or NK for help. Especially if they were getting in on the loot of it anyways.

I just dont believe that we should necessarily be dropping the difficulty of something "because game is hard". We just introduce other avenues of play.
AntiBlitz

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:27 pm

^^ I don't disagree with you at all, I also think they should be hard as I said in my post and not completable by new players or solo players, but progressively hard. I've enjoyed my experiences with them so far and have come out each time with something. :D

It also helps me with combat, I'm not a pvp player or well practised in combat but I've improved my technique with each one, I like the dungeons, just not the continuous respawning, maybe have that in the end rooms and set numbers in the first couple.

I also have ppl I can ask to do one with me but I like the challenge of them, so haven't asked yet, once I do my bit I then tell the guys where to find it so they can finish it off. :D
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby azrid » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:20 pm

The fix to dungeons is to add more of them at varying difficulties.
azrid

Postby Potjeh » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:55 pm

The respawn timer is waaaay too short. I've been using Take Aim x2 -> Storm of Swords, and killing them like 3 at a time, but they still spawn faster than I can kill them. Also tried stacking 6 IP first, then going 3x SoS into Full Circle, still too slow even when I switch to Combat Meditation when I get to Full Circles. Could you please increase the timer? If you think that makes them too easy, just buff their stats. Also, a part of the problem seems to be that they're not all initially spawned so I can't immediately stack openings on all of them, so one or two always survive long enough to trigger the next wave. Make the initial number of beavers in a room equal to the max number, please.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby jorb » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:28 pm

"Please let me solo dungeons"?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby blank » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:41 pm

Potjeh wrote:The respawn timer is waaaay too short. I've been using Take Aim x2 -> Storm of Swords, and killing them like 3 at a time, but they still spawn faster than I can kill them. Also tried stacking 6 IP first, then going 3x SoS into Full Circle, still too slow even when I switch to Combat Meditation when I get to Full Circles. Could you please increase the timer? If you think that makes them too easy, just buff their stats. Also, a part of the problem seems to be that they're not all initially spawned so I can't immediately stack openings on all of them, so one or two always survive long enough to trigger the next wave. Make the initial number of beavers in a room equal to the max number, please.

"Please let me solo dungeons"?

If its too hot, stay out of the kitchen ;)
blank

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements