Game Development: Flagging Butcher

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Flagging Butcher

Postby Potjeh » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:02 pm

It should be hard, not impossible. Like, seriously, fuck other people, if I wanted to interact with them I'd be outdoors, not playing games on my computer.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby agweber » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:41 pm

Potjeh wrote:It should be hard, not impossible. Like, seriously, fuck other people, if I wanted to interact with them I'd be outdoors, not playing games on my computer.

There are these other things called single player games.

On topic though, this patch means nothing to a novice player who can't even fight the local wildlife. I do want to re-iterate the need for a combat tutorial in-game instead of newbies dying to every single creature in the game. I know there are out-of-game resources, but yeah, they're out of game.
agweber

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:55 pm

Let me dig out an old, oft used acronym.... "RTFM"

Games don't need in game tutorials... or if they have them, the game is overly simplistic to the point of not needing a proper manual. As of the current system, there is no practical in game tutorial that can be done (at least not that I can think of). If you have issues with current guides on the forums, ask questions and we'll try our best to address them. I do agree with you, and it isn't intuitive because the interface is so much different than what we're used to from other games.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jordancoles » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:25 pm

SOME dungeons should be soloable (ant dungeon) but like any game it should reach a point where you'll need a group (wolf dens, albino bear lair)
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby shubla » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:27 pm

Ant dungeon could be just a hole that appears in the ground after you raid an ant hill (random chance of course)
You can go in the hole and find more ant hills that you can raid, the loot would be just the usual stuff that you find from the ant hills, maybe with increased chance of getting it though.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby jordancoles » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:37 pm

shubla wrote:Ant dungeon could be just a hole that appears in the ground after you raid an ant hill (random chance of course)
You can go in the hole and find more ant hills that you can raid, the loot would be just the usual stuff that you find from the ant hills, maybe with increased chance of getting it though.

Already a thread in critiques saying exactly that, yep
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby ricky » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:37 pm

Roasting spits now provide bone ash only at halved quality. Wasn't sure where to go with this, but didn't like the kiln'd ash being entirely nullified in the quality race. Feel free to opine.

Right, I remember what I was going to say about this (a week later)

Perhaps make Large animals require a metal spit? surely by the time industries are large enough to have (high quality) metal, they'll have no need to cheese bone ash
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby Potjeh » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:40 am

jordancoles wrote:SOME dungeons should be soloable (ant dungeon) but like any game it should reach a point where you'll need a group (wolf dens, albino bear lair)

I agree, and beaver seems like it should be soloable tier.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Granger » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:33 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Let me dig out an old, oft used acronym.... "RTFM"

FYI: There is no manual, but plenty of requests in the past that the devs should supply one.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:46 am

Granger wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:Let me dig out an old, oft used acronym.... "RTFM"

FYI: There is no manual, but plenty of requests in the past that the devs should supply one.

We have plenty of guides and such in the help section. Would be nice if there were at least a basic official manual, yes, but the community has stepped up and provided better than what we would probably expect from two people working on a project.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements