New Year: 2018 -- Loose Roadmap!

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: New Year: 2018 -- Loose Roadmap!

Postby Pan_w_okularach » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:20 pm

new combat system YES PLEASE
Memories of pain
Pan_w_okularach

Postby loftar » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:15 pm

Ozzy123 wrote:I'm so afraid of this, please guys make it good :(

If it allays your fears any, I too was not very content with Salem combat, and I have my own theories on why that is and how to alleviate the problems, but I'd be interested to hear yours as well.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby dafels » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:43 pm

I am more worried about the diversity of moves in such combat system in haven, might just boil down to another everyone spamming 2 keys until you bring one down, therefore it will be highly stat dependant and nothing much will have changed.
dafels

Postby jordancoles » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:12 pm

IMO stats should matter less if we move towards aim-based combat

Salem was shitty because even if you played perfectly and landed twice and many hits as the guy with higher stats you'd still lose because you'd run out of yellow bile or phlegm or whatever
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Zesto » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:40 pm

jordancoles wrote:IMO stats should matter less if we move towards aim-based combat

Salem was shitty because even if you played perfectly and landed twice and many hits as the guy with higher stats you'd still lose because you'd run out of yellow bile or phlegm or whatever

If they add biles or some bile like system I will cry when I played salem I hated that with a burning passion
Zesto

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:43 am

jordancoles wrote:s you'd still lose because you'd run out of yellow bile or phlegm or whatever

This is probably primary. Secondary, in my opinion, was the speed of the attacks. It was like watching boxers in slow motion.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Amanda44 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:54 am

Zesto wrote:
jordancoles wrote:IMO stats should matter less if we move towards aim-based combat

If they add biles or some bile like system I will cry when I played salem I hated that with a burning passion

I did too, hopefully that's not the direction they are going in!
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Roelspaced » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:56 am

Fox dungeons for the win!
Roelspaced

Postby Adder1234 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:57 am

Regarding the combat system, this might seem like an extremely simple change but I would be interested to see how it would work. How about, instead of having each attack fixed to a certain spot in the combat deck, have them move randomly between spots after each move. By that I mean that the person would still choose their combat deck, but the cards that they have chosen would change buttons after every move. At least that way there would be some sort of skill involved in fighting.
Adder1234

Postby Keiriku » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:12 am

Adder1234 wrote:Regarding the combat system, this might seem like an extremely simple change but I would be interested to see how it would work. How about, instead of having each attack fixed to a certain spot in the combat deck, have them move randomly between spots after each move. By that I mean that the person would still choose their combat deck, but the cards that they have chosen would change buttons after every move. At least that way there would be some sort of skill involved in fighting.

Bad idea since it can be easily modified on the client side and certain keys will be binded to certain moves ignoring their position, it only adds unneeded complexity.
Keiriku

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements