New Year: 2018 -- Loose Roadmap!

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: New Year: 2018 -- Loose Roadmap!

Postby shubla » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:52 pm

Potjeh wrote: every iteration of these has been a failure.

I think that the problem is partly that devs make new system, then it does not work, then they make new bad system again, instead of polishing the old one to be balanced etc.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby CaddoPuma » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:17 pm

Potjeh wrote:While rendering is sorely needed, it's not really a core mechanics. Core mechanics are combat and siege systems, and every iteration of these has been a failure.

I would beg to differ, respectfully, Sir. I'm no coder, but when I hear the phrase "core mechanics" I think of the mechanics on which all other mechanics depend in order to function... Things like the "engine" and "RNG". Please do correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe "rendering" refers to how images are displayed? If I correctly understand what rendering means, it's pretty hard to engage in combat or sieging if you can't see the images. Again, if my above assumptions are correct; That would make rendering a core mechanic and both combat and sieging secondary, at best, as they are dependant, at least in part, on that core mechanic.
CaddoPuma

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:28 pm

Core mechanics are things like what the defining stats are; how items interact with each other; how players interact with items and what they can/can't do; how combat relations are managed (and the basis for the combat system itself); how do players manage their items, mark ownership, and related topics. There can be only a few rules in a game, such as simple shooters (arcade shooters and such come to mind), or there can be a lot--look at D&D.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Dakkan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:02 pm

The only core mechanics I need.
Dakkan

Postby Potjeh » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:04 pm

shubla wrote:

I think that the problem is partly that devs make new system, then it does not work, then they make new bad system again, instead of polishing the old one to be balanced etc.

I think the problem is that you can't have a balanced system with stats having so much weight.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Granger » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Potjeh wrote:
shubla wrote:

I think the problem is that you can't have a balanced system with stats having so much weight.

IMHO you can't have a balanced system as long as stats have any weight and are able to grow unbounded.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby shubla » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:21 pm

Granger wrote:IMHO you can't have a balanced system as long as stats have any weight and are able to grow unbounded.

Maybe stat weights could be changed, not by capping, but by modifying the formulas to give less advantage on higher qualities.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby tyrtix » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:23 pm

Granger wrote:IMHO you can't have a balanced system as long as stats have any weight and are able to grow unbounded.

It depends more on HOW they grow and less on how much they can grow....
tyrtix

Postby Granger » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:27 pm

shubla wrote:Maybe stat weights could be changed, not by capping, but by modifying the formulas to give less advantage on higher qualities.

tyrtix wrote:It depends more on HOW they grow and less on how much they can grow....

While both would weaken the problem it wouldn't solve it, people would still refuse to join a game where they're guaranteed to be (and stay) at the disadvantage.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby tyrtix » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:35 pm

i pointed out many times that there's not the need of a real cap, but if the growth would be "easy" to 200, "medium" to 500 and very hard over that, making each stat point gained "relevant" for pvp'ers but not enough to just bulldoze everyone they get in sight, the game would be fun again for everyone.
Btw, adding more and more new contents only for late game won't make new players get back for sure...i mean, i got back one of my characters wich was basically at start but still aroun 50-60 stats and skill and got heavily beaten by wild bees...wonder what happens if a new player comes in and try to raid those beehives that lies around everywhere? at least 2 days out of game and very probable ragequit.
tyrtix

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements