New Year: 2018 -- Loose Roadmap!

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: New Year: 2018 -- Loose Roadmap!

Postby Adder1234 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:16 am

Keiriku wrote:
Adder1234 wrote:Regarding the combat system, this might seem like an extremely simple change but I would be interested to see how it would work. How about, instead of having each attack fixed to a certain spot in the combat deck, have them move randomly between spots after each move. By that I mean that the person would still choose their combat deck, but the cards that they have chosen would change buttons after every move. At least that way there would be some sort of skill involved in fighting.

Bad idea since it can be easily modified on the client side and certain keys will be binded to certain moves ignoring their position, it only adds unneeded complexity.

OK that makes sense. I didn't really think about how the client registered the combat keys.
Adder1234

Postby dafels » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:18 am

any randomness in combat is a no
dafels

Postby azrid » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:24 am

I liked Salem combat except the yellow bile limiter on how many moves you could use in a fight.
I beat someone with 150 biles at 50 in a spar so that felt pretty good since it was possible at least to win against someone stronger.
Hope the lag gets fixed before the new combat system comes though since that is a huge advantage.
azrid

Postby CTheRain » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:45 am

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/789761383143440384

Not the best example of potential action combat. Like LMB light attack, holding LMB charge attack, holding RMB block, [keybind] for parry. If you choose to do WASD. Point & Click like Grim Dawn, Diablo, etc etc. Where you activate skills for blocking, light attacks, heavy attacks, parrying, special combat moves. But movement is very key. Like a bear would "special heavy attack" and you'd have to move out of the way or get damaged heavily.
We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.
CTheRain

Postby subie » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:59 am

Smurfsrule wrote:Make a new world you fuck sticks

So you can play for 2 months and quit, then cry for the next world?
subie

Postby Mikhos » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:30 am

Loving the idea of a freeform house system. Especially with all of the fancy wood types we have at our disposal. :D
Mikhos

Postby jordancoles » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:32 am

I would assume that when modular housing is finished the current houses on the map would need to be wiped, and since client optimization is the first priority it would likely be client optimization followed by modular housing and a reset
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Nektaris » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:28 pm

jordancoles wrote:IMO stats should matter less if we move towards aim-based combat

Salem was shitty because even if you played perfectly and landed twice and many hits as the guy with higher stats you'd still lose because you'd run out of yellow bile or phlegm or whatever

That's why damage of combat moves should be percentage based.

Combat move: Shoot
Damage: 2% of attacker's Marksmanship +2% of enemy max HP.

High end fighter with 300 UA and 2k HP vs beginner with 50 UA and 200 HP.
If 300 Marksmanship and Enemy's HP is 200, damage is 6+4 = 10. High end fighter needs to land 20 hits to ko the beginner.
If 50 Marksmanship and Enemy's HP is 2000, damage is 1+40 = 41. Beginner needs to land 49 hits to ko high end fighter.

With this system, if your aim is bad you can boost your UA and HP to make up for it. While if you are good at aiming and dodging you can get away with less HP and UA.
Stats need to remain relevant up to a certain point, otherwise everyone would bring fresh alts in combat.
Nektaris

Postby AntiBlitz » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:54 pm

that sounds horrible. If someone is weaker then you, there shouldnt still be a gate to doing damage for the shear fact they are weaker, nor vice versa for someone stronger.
AntiBlitz

Postby Nektaris » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:47 pm

AntiBlitz wrote:that sounds horrible. If someone is weaker then you, there shouldnt still be a gate to doing damage for the shear fact they are weaker, nor vice versa for someone stronger.

I don't think I get your point.
In my example, if I'm weaker than you I'd need to hit you 49 times in order to ko you while you need to hit me 20.
You are dealing less damage only if we take flat values into consideration, but you're still killing him faster than he can kill you.
Nektaris

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements