Game Development: Navy Seals

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Navy Seals

Postby Amanda44 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:47 pm

sMartins wrote:
Amanda44 wrote:Only displays quality on inventory items though, not on container items?

It shows quality on everything .... tested tonight ... tou I immediately turned it off, horrible having numbers everywhere to me, I'm just used to the mouse over thing.

Yeah, I tested it myself .. though obviously after I had posted.

At least now I can play if Romovs needs time to update in future, it was the single worst thing for me with default. So, yep, brilliant! I think if they just added animal radius too, 'cos ... snakes, lol, then I might even play on default sometimes, it is pretty. :D
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:03 pm

loftar wrote:
Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:I am pretty angry about the ability to teleport the Knarr home, and it leaves a seriously bad taste in my mouth. Is this the way development is going? No travel challenge to anything anywhere? Instant teleportation of mass amounts of goods because you bothered to sail THERE?

Just for the record, I'm not really against fast-travel as such; all that I mind is when it is formulated in such a way as to make distance and locality in the world almost irrelevant, which I thought was the main problem with crossroads in Legacy. Since you do indeed have to sail one way, locality is still relevant.

If the world becomes too small to be challenging, all we have to do is double the size of it. :)

The problem is that locality isn't established as much by the trip *there* as the entirety of the trip. When you halve the trip you double the potential distance that any given person may be willing to travel using it as a form of conveyance. THAT'S how it impacts locality, you don't have to think about "am I going to be prepared to make the return trip with all the valuable goods I have in this vessel? Am I going to have to leave it somewhere part-way home because I don't have time to come back the whole way? Do I need to have them meet me partway for the trade to half the journey?"

Instead, it's all "Just got to make a trip there with no cargo and little to lose, and then I just teleport back with the contents." Meaning while it's pretty and all, there's no point in having all that pretty art showing how much cargo the Knarr has in it because that visual (now) LITERALLY NEVER MATTERS for selecting potential raid targets along waterways.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby iamahh » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:07 pm

unless the pirates are stealing a community market I don't see where you can fill-up a knarr with stuff worthy the time and trouble... there are roads already all over the world, reaching places knarrs cant reach
Last edited by iamahh on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iamahh

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:08 pm

Amanda44 wrote: I think if they just added animal radius too, 'cos ... snakes, lol, then I might even play on default sometimes, it is pretty. :D

Know what you mean, but animal aggro radius is not a fixed thing. There are factors that go into it, and I have no clue as to what they might even be. It's just like the bats not aggroing (well, not as likely) if you "crawl" past them.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby DaniAngione » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:20 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Amanda44 wrote: I think if they just added animal radius too, 'cos ... snakes, lol, then I might even play on default sometimes, it is pretty. :D

Know what you mean, but animal aggro radius is not a fixed thing. There are factors that go into it, and I have no clue as to what they might even be. It's just like the bats not aggroing (well, not as likely) if you "crawl" past them.

Exactly - the radius on amber doesn't mean anything, it's just a "visual clue" to spot animals more easily. They can still aggro from further away (or not aggro at all), it's quite random.
I personally think animal radius should never get into default client as they're cluttersome and not really helpful. I'd rather see more immersive wilderness, animals making their noises (and movement sound) so you have other clues beyond spotting them on screen or on the map.
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby sMartins » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:24 pm

DaniAngione wrote:I personally think animal radius should never get into default client as they're cluttersome and not really helpful. I'd rather see more immersive wilderness, animals making their noises (and movement sound) so you have other clues beyond spotting them on screen or on the map.

Yeah I think exactly the same, plus animals radius are horrible to me and game design breaking.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby tyrtix » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:28 pm

i still wait the day in wich stealth can make a toon get near to an animal w/o letting him escape :p
tyrtix

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:29 pm

DaniAngione wrote:I personally think animal radius should never get into default client as they're cluttersome and not really helpful. I'd rather see more immersive wilderness, animals making their noises (and movement sound) so you have other clues beyond spotting them on screen or on the map.

This... though ever trip across a snake in the wilderness? They usually don't just go all aggro and bite as it's their means of catching dinner. They usually give some warning unless you quite literally step on them. I say usually because some species don't have complex warning systems like rattlesnakes, and some are highly aggressive. Anyway, when I'm actually in the wilderness, I usually can tell there's an animal nearby because you can hear them. Wild animals, especially dangerous ones, could just use more attention grabbing... if you're paying attention. It obviously shouldn't be a Klaxon siren. The minimap icons are good except the snakes... it needs changing. But the icons can get too cluttered. Maybe a way to turn some off.

About the only reason I use Amber at this point is finding specific trees and shrubs. There are a few other QoL things there that could be added, but nothing I'd say we strictly need.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby sMartins » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:35 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Wild animals, especially dangerous ones, could just use more attention grabbing... if you're paying attention. It obviously shouldn't be a Klaxon siren.

Tbh I'd like also if aggressive animals could have different stances and also hunting for you, tracking you, get close to you like you should be able to get close to them etc ... that would be dope ... tou some high level of AI would be required I guess.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby DaniAngione » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:55 pm

It would be cool if living adders (and maybe some other critters like spiders and scorpions) could randomly spawn inside Mirkwood stumps and logs.

Opening the log/stump gives a warning sound (like the adder hiss) and if you don't close it in (for example) 5 seconds, you get a bite :D
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements