Game Development: Phrygian Barrel Basket

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Phrygian Barrel Basket

Postby Amanda44 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:30 pm

Granger wrote:
jorb wrote:"Wicker Picker"

Straw twine imho gets only available after beeskeps have been built (means wax=>hardened leather=>tsacks are basically available), imho somewhat defeating the idea.

Given the name I would have expected it to take branches (like the wicker basket) and maybe some strings (like taproot, to hold it together) so it would have a use for new characters.

Possibly such a simpler version could be added to make it accessible to new characters still on birchbark backpack level?

Yeah, I thought all of that and I agree with you ... as Jordan also suggested maybe make different versions, a lower one for newbs using branches and string with this ones capacity and then this one for next level with a slightly bigger capacity and chuck a bit of cloth in it. :D
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Glorthan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:44 pm

LadyGoo wrote:Is there a reason why one should spen 90% of their time on staring at the monitor and clicking, instead of exploring the world, setting up trades, routes and etc? Is there a reason why while there is people botting and having everything done auto, while the rest of the playerbase are struggling and feeling unmotivated? I have read that some dudes got q1500 beetrots, while the rest of the server cannot even get q600 stuff.

I want this too, but I don't think that tending towards the game playing itself is a good thing. Any activity that locks your character up in crafting actions so you have to wait long periods of time with no input is inherently not fun. Adding auto drinking rather than adding in ways of crafting that require interaction are bad in that they "require" you to not play. It just leads to Eve-like levels of multiclienting, we don't want that right? If upkeep is tedious, then there should be less of it and/or the activities should be more engaging, not less.

Windmills are a good case study: they allow you to scale up production without locking your character down waiting for the crafting timer, and they remove tedium from dealing with inventories by bypassing inventory management entirely via the use of barrels. This means players can achieve more with one character actively playing around the windmill instead of needing to babysit multiple accounts in parallel around arbitrary actions (grinding flour and inventory management).

If we just make bulk multiclienting easier then the root cause of tedium will still be there imo, even if it can technically be done in less time by more easily abusing parallel clients, which is tedious in and of itself.
Glorthan

Postby Potjeh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:49 pm

Standing still and crafting is fine because it's an opportunity to chat with people without feeling like you're wasting time. It doesn't work if you need to be clicking shit periodically to keep crafting, though.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby ydex » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:30 pm

Potjeh wrote:Standing still and crafting is fine because it's an opportunity to chat with people without feeling like you're wasting time. It doesn't work if you need to be clicking shit periodically to keep crafting, though.

I agree, I also like chatting whilst crafting/cooking/mining/farming and the clicking does get in my way as it unfocuses the damn chat xD
bold
ydex

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Honoka wrote:Crafting from barrels yay. But be careful with automation or the game will end by logging in once per day just to check how many LP you earned today and if there is no siege at your village :P Just add some transportation belts and magic robotic hands (2 sticks, metal bar and a dream) and we will have Haven & Factorio soon.

I don't really see the issue with that tbh. This game is fun when you're making stuff, and building production, but managing the production just gets relegated to bots because it's boring and not fun. People don't like playing video games for chores, it's why the population starts off high then massively drops. There's tons of other stuff I'd like to do besides make another round of pies.

Hell, this is basically the case with cheese, one of the universally best late-game FEP items. It's pretty pointless to bot the cheese-making, it's already really, really easy: move some trays and wait. The hard part is building the production (and animal management is still cancer, but there's tons of ways to make it less of a headache).

Micro-managing stamina and water while crafting is just annoying. btw you can already drink while doing pretty much anything with an hourglass. It's really easy to set up a bot to smash that motherfucking drink button so you don't have to bother micro-managing while waiting for an hourglass.
DDDsDD999

Postby shubla » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Honoka wrote:Crafting from barrels yay. But be careful with automation or the game will end by logging in once per day just to check how many LP you earned today and if there is no siege at your village :P Just add some transportation belts and magic robotic hands (2 sticks, metal bar and a dream) and we will have Haven & Factorio soon.

jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Ysh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Factorio is case in point against the men who say that getting rid of tedious is bad. Factorio is fun despite not need to repeat some tedious action. What it is fun about is to figure out how to set up strategy for logistics and resource usage. I think Haven will not be so puzzle like as Factorio, but this is example of how game can be interest, deep, and fun without using some mechanic like many clicks or manual time spending to make it ''hard.''
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby tigerlrg245 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:04 pm

I for one, welcome our new wool collar overlords

If you can't think of anything to do just because the daily activities of feeding animals and making curios are simpler then you lack imagination. In factorio you keep advancing and doing more, not just leave your small machine to harvest.

edit: just realized the last 40 comments have quoted that. LOL poor guy
tigerlrg245

Postby Onep » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:23 am

jorb wrote:Fixed a bug by which Toad Butter had stopped giving warts. Funny how we don't get bug reports on things like that, but I suppose it is possible that no one had actually used Toad Butter.

Honestly, I think I only used it once, maybe twice? I thought I'd just gotten lucky.
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Postby tyrtix » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:53 am

wait... new healing item is just for black eyed, and supposed to be for deep cuts and small wounds that can be healed with yarrow? Seriously? O_o all such materials for knick-knacks? maybe something for wounds that cannot still be cured like adder ones?
tyrtix

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements