Game Development: Fighting Quail

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Fighting Quail

Postby The_Blode » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Aceb wrote:please, private message me instead of posting half-shit

practice what you preach

as for the update:
I avoid playing with new combat until a consensus is reached regarding "how not to die", but i'm always glad to see new critters hopping around the hearthlands. Yay!
The_Blode

Postby fallout » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:43 pm

As a returning player trying to get combat discoveries this combat is ridiculous, 300ua, 500stats and ill take 200-300 damage to my gear fighting boars and bats... restorations are garbage and fights have turned into clipping animals and spamming quick dodge. I cant understand how this thought out at all :?
fallout

Postby Sarge » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:48 pm

factnfiction101 wrote:^I agree with this guy.
Sarge

Postby Syndras » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:56 pm

As a noob PVE only player I despise these new combat changes. Animals are massively buffed, so much so that i don't even want to fight them, the sword/shield combo is absolutely worthless since chop cooldown is 50 and opening creation is 10 meaning that any animal that reduces its guard when it reaches 40~ can only take about 30 damage a hit (if i get a hit in before it reduces).
Chop cooldown is so long that it almost never goes off before guard is reduced and even when it does the rate at which i can deal damage is about 40% of an animal's and the rate at which i can reduce my guard is entirely equivalent to Artful Evasion cooldown which can't sustainably keep it down. This means that i'm on a short timer when fighting animals and have to kill them within two guard highs on me, one from 0-50~ second on AA cooldown and then the next time it reaches 50~ i have to hope its dead or i take more damage than its worth.

With the previous system the multiple openings worked great PVE and i've only heard people fault it when i comes to PVP. animals using different moves meant that their faster attack speed was compensated for by the fact that they would diversify their opening creations and so timing opening reductions to when my openings reached 40~ gave a larger window of opportunity to deal damage, this system was better imo because it meant that the difficulty of animals was a streamlined curve as multiple openings meant that animals that should be too difficult to fight for my level would be able to create 40~ openings on multiple openings faster than i could remove them since the reductions were percentage based. The new system means that certain strong guard reducing moves allow openings to be reduced regardless of what animal is being fought making cooldowns and the speed at which you can kill something the main source of difficulty.

Ii feel as if the issues with the last combat system were mostly PVP based and aside from that the system was a good base to build off of. I'm not sure re-making the whole system is better than refining the current one with more moves, maybe even a separation between PVP and PVE moves. I would really like a rollback to the old system at least until the numbers are tweaked to be more usable.

(fuck armour damage i dunt like it)
Syndras

Postby Ysh » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:35 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Ysh wrote:I think it is possible to create system where pacing is slow so that this does not matters much. I think MMO is not good format for very twitch combat anyway.

Oh, I don't know. World of Warcraft has been doing raids that way for quite a while now. Watch for the boss wind-up, don't stand in the fire, make sure you're in the right position for the big group heals, etc etc etc. Compare to the way I used to do raids in EQ and such: stand behind the mob(s) and just nuke till dead; make sure you don't draw aggro. Go to some of the even newer MMOs--Guild Wars 2, Tera (not so new, I guess), Black Desert to name a few--and they're very much timing, one could even say twitch, based.

''Very twitch,'' I think is key words. I do not play these Guild Wars 2, Tera, or Black Desert, but I will not call World of Warcraft to be twitch combat at all. How much of problem is aimbot in these other three game?
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Aceb » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:51 pm

So, I was riding on my horse by beaches and because I was reading forum I have not noticed that 8 walruses are running / swimming after me.
I was riding in straight line, beach shores and etc. nothing that You could block You or animals chasing You.

5 walruses suddenly stopped and have not been moving anymore, despite being in a water, where nothing could block them!
3 were still chasing after me till I reached my base, then magic happened. Those 2 on the pic suddenly stopped before I even reach my gate (took a pic after, as 3rd one was still attacking me.)

Now the magic happen. Before update, 8 walruses were chasing me without bigger problem even into inside of my base. Those two visible on the pic, despite having open gate, did not even bother getting in, no matter how I positioned myself. When I was slaughtering their 3rd pal, those did not even twitch. Proceeded to attack me after I took out their pal. Now, for some odd reason, each time I run into/out base, those two get stuck on that brickwall corner if it was on those way.

Third odd thing, that might be a cause of walruses, is that their quick splash, tail splash or whatever is the name of attack, might cause stop them chasing perhaps? Also, hits through wall (damage is visible, despite gate being closed and shouldn't be out of range?)

Even if it is in case of walruses, doesn't explain rest of animal behaviour.

Don't tell me I assume things when I just simply go out there and explore/experiment/talk with people.

PS. Try it yourself Blode, first.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby kimjungskill » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:10 am

To be clear, easily defeating animals due to bugged pathfinding does NOT mean the new combat mechanics are easier for killing animals.
kimjungskill

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:16 am

Ysh wrote:''Very twitch,'' I think is key words. I do not play these Guild Wars 2, Tera, or Black Desert, but I will not call World of Warcraft to be twitch combat at all. How much of problem is aimbot in these other three game?

If you want an arcade type combat system in an MMO, keep looking. Too many players makes such things impractical. By definition, "twitch games" require fast reactions to changing game environments, so it qualifies, if barely.

As far as the games I mentioned, two are Korean MMOs, so have the requisite draconic anti-cheat software front-loaded. Do aim-bots exist? Sure. Draconic anti-cheat software discourages scripts and cheats, but hardly stops them all. Do many players use them? Beats me.

Aceb wrote:5 walruses suddenly stopped and have not been moving anymore, despite being in a water, where nothing could block them!
3 were still chasing after me till I reached my base, then magic happened. Those 2 on the pic suddenly stopped before I even reach my gate (took a pic after, as 3rd one was still attacking me.)

They clipped on each other and got stuck.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Aceb » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:26 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Aceb wrote:5 walruses suddenly stopped and have not been moving anymore, despite being in a water, where nothing could block them!

They clipped on each other and got stuck.

Well yeah, but if on open water area, 5 walruses go stuck. I can understand that first walrus might have blocked all others but why the first one stop is the question. There was no reason for it to stop completely and not move.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby azrid » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:36 pm

They got their whiskers tangled.
azrid

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements