Game Development: Combat Revert

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Combat Revert

Postby Zeler » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:07 pm

I think that if Jorb and Loftar accepted some invitation from top pvp dogs to some spars and general lessons of how combat looks, it'd be very benificial to delivering balanced, interesting and working combat system.
Zeler

Postby wonder-ass » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Zeler wrote:I think that if Jorb and Loftar accepted some invitation from top pvp dogs to some spars and general lessons of how combat looks, it'd be very benificial to delivering balanced, interesting and working combat system.

only way to remotely balance combat is if its not based on stats. a guy with 4x your stats will win no matter how good you are at the game.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:33 pm

wonder-ass wrote:
Zeler wrote:I think that if Jorb and Loftar accepted some invitation from top pvp dogs to some spars and general lessons of how combat looks, it'd be very benificial to delivering balanced, interesting and working combat system.

only way to remotely balance combat is if its not based on stats. a guy with 4x your stats will win no matter how good you are at the game.

Not in previous combat iterations...
DDDsDD999

Postby wonder-ass » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:04 pm

combat would need a massive overhaul to be good for everyone. it needs to be more based on skill of knowing the combat rather then needing to out stat the other through grind now this wouldnt be a problem if everyone did it fair but since all the titans are using bots there is no way of catching up to them...

had an idea for combat ill just put this here havent brainstormed it too much but what if combat was more based on visual ques? for instance ( opponent uses punch you see the visual que and use sidestep to step out of the way) this will add much more depth in to the combat and itll be more based on reaction time and knowledge of the game.
wonder-ass

Postby Granger » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:19 pm

Problem with reaction time is that you can't take for granted that all are the same distance away from the server.

In case there would be a visible queue it could maybe function like the ground metagame in the 1984 game Rescue Raiders (good gameplay description in the article about the 1990 clone Armor_Alley), a choplifter variant where you additionally pitch an army against another cominf from the other side of the playfield. Thing here was: the worse you did (thus the nearer the point of conflict of the two armies came to your base) the better you could see what kind of units (and their order) came for you (it was kind of stone/paper/scissors with them) which allowed your to spawn matching units with a fair chance of them reaching the battlepoint unharmed, making them effective against the approaching enemy troops - plus you had a quicker trip back to your base to refuel and restock, making your choplifter more effective in fighting the enemy.
While on the other hand when had the upper hand and the battle point heared the enemy base... it had that benefit, making it harder to actually squash him.
Fun game, grab an emulator in case you want to have some quick fun with a retro game.

Back to the point: should there be a queue it could make sense to function that was, giving the underhand a benefit. Lore could be that the upper hand player gets arrogant (thus his moves take longer to activate).

But I guess the devs will again settle on something that will guarantee you'll be crushed quickly the moment things start to go south for you...
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby wonder-ass » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Granger wrote: But I guess the devs will again settle on something that will guarantee you'll be crushed quickly the moment things start to go south for you...

thats how it should be tho. a guy wielding a massive battleaxe should be able to disarm you with 1 good hit there is no way a guy should be able to keep going after his leg got chopped off and the other is almost severed. tho you should be able to dodge it with enough skill with no problem or with enough armor to tank it for maybe a hit or 2. also damage from pvp should be permanent if you get cleaved and your arm falls off there is no way your gonna heal that. another idea i had with this system is that you can target body parts which will make combat much more interesting and add more complex depth to it. targeting legs makes the opponent slower but potentially giving the opponent openings to your head and upper body.
wonder-ass

Postby Granger » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:23 pm

wonder-ass wrote:
Granger wrote: But I guess the devs will again settle on something that will guarantee you'll be crushed quickly the moment things start to go south for you...

thats how it should be tho. a guy wielding a massive battleaxe should be able to disarm you with 1 good hit there is no way a guy should be able to keep going after his leg got chopped off and the other is almost severed. tho you should be able to dodge it with enough skill with no problem or with enough armor to tank it for maybe a hit or 2. also damage from pvp should be permanent if you get cleaved and your arm falls off there is no way your gonna heal that. another idea i had with this system is that you can target body parts which will make combat much more interesting and add more complex depth to it. targeting legs makes the opponent slower but potentially giving the opponent openings to your head and upper body.

Sounds like fun gameplay, as long as you're the one with the axe, the biggest armor and the highest stats. While it would suck if you're not in that group (or even the one with the missing limbs).
==> everyone runs around like that.
==> boring gameplay.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Sarge » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:07 pm

For me the biggest disappointment about the new combat system was that it wasn't new. It was just another variation of the cards game without even a fresh set of moves.
factnfiction101 wrote:^I agree with this guy.
Sarge

Postby wonder-ass » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:09 pm

ill just brainstorm this a bit longer and make a full on poste about the idea of visual que combat with body target based system rn there is to many cons i can think of with not many work arounds tho you have a point. this system could be very broken and unfun if not done correct.
wonder-ass

Postby blank » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:34 pm

im prob the only one, but i actually enjoyed the new combat system. it made MC more viable unlike this one..
blank

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements