Game Development: Leek Whistle

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Leek Whistle

Postby Ysh » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:40 am

jorb wrote:
  • Fixed a crash caused by typing specific thing in public chat, reported in PM.

You can now give detail?
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Fierce_Deity » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:48 am

Leeks are a cool addition, except they look stupid. Very vexing as someone who grows leeks. Your leeks bulge too much at the bottoms. Its not an elephant garlic or even an onion. They are very straight from base to top. Also, their leaves are much longer and hang down to the ground. I wouldn't even bring that part up if those leeks didn't look like they were sitting on a shelf at the supermarket with its tops all trimmed. Another thing, leeks only flower and create seeds as the very last part of their growth cycle. Having it the middle feels strange, and I think they should do that as a final stage with no size increase, just flowers added to the tops. Well, most of the crops we have follow that rule, but I see where making people wait a stage after every plant is already harvestable to replant them being unpleasant from a gameplay stance.
And this parts irrelevant, but the majority of a leek that is white is hidden in the ground. The parts where the sun can hit tend to turn green, which is why they are either planted very deep or have something like hay put around them.
At the very least, the leeks should not be skinny in the middle, just make em smooth.
Also you can't replant beets and get more beets.
Fierce_Deity

Postby Onep » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:54 am

Fierce_Deity wrote:
Leeks are a cool addition, except they look stupid. Very vexing as someone who grows leeks. Your leeks bulge too much at the bottoms. Its not an elephant garlic or even an onion. They are very straight from base to top. Also, their leaves are much longer and hang down to the ground. I wouldn't even bring that part up if those leeks didn't look like they were sitting on a shelf at the supermarket with its tops all trimmed. Another thing, leeks only flower and create seeds as the very last part of their growth cycle. Having it the middle feels strange, and I think they should do that as a final stage with no size increase, just flowers added to the tops. Well, most of the crops we have follow that rule, but I see where making people wait a stage after every plant is already harvestable to replant them being unpleasant from a gameplay stance.
And this parts irrelevant, but the majority of a leek that is white is hidden in the ground. The parts where the sun can hit tend to turn green, which is why they are either planted very deep or have something like hay put around them.
At the very least, the leeks should not be skinny in the middle, just make em smooth.
Also you can't replant beets and get more beets.

Um.. this scientific evidence disagrees.

Last edited by Onep on Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Postby Chebermech » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:03 am

nice update! leek and mushrooms (+carrots, onions and meat), when will we be able to cook soups? (probably once potatoes are in the game!)

i doubt that authority drain for having natural wonders on a village claim will stop people from claiming natural wonders but rather harm villages that happen to have the wonders just because they liked the location rather than claimed it specifically. could you at least make it possible to destroy natural wonders (and burrows) inside village claims please?

and about the combat system, does it mean you guys are giving up on it for now? or will continue working on it weekly until its done?
Chebermech

Postby CaddoPuma » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:21 am

So is the ability for carts to go up and down mine holes intended or an unintended consequence of allowing travel? If unintended, is using them in this way an exploit?

I'm pretty shure THIS was unintended:
https://gyazo.com/7efe457588c390eec2b06641691f88ee
CaddoPuma

Postby loftar » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:48 am

Ysh wrote:You can now give detail?

The specific text was "/o\", but it is worth noting that it is only he who typed who crashed, not everyone in the chat.

Chebermech wrote:and about the combat system, does it mean you guys are giving up on it for now? or will continue working on it weekly until its done?

Not immediately sure where exactly to take it from here, but we're not giving up on it.

CaddoPuma wrote:So is the ability for carts to go up and down mine holes intended or an unintended consequence of allowing travel?

Very much intended.

CaddoPuma wrote:I'm pretty shure THIS was unintended:

Am I supposed to see anything other than a cart being indoors? If not, then that too was intended.

glaive wrote:Is this intentional or no?

Intentional, and it has been that way for ages. Construction sites can be walked through until something has been built into them, to prevent cheesing them in combat.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby glaive » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:32 am

loving the new development when are we getting wolves?
glaive

Postby CaddoPuma » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:34 am

loftar wrote:
CaddoPuma wrote:I'm pretty shure THIS was unintended:

Am I supposed to see anything other than a cart being indoors? If not, then that too was intended.

That's all you were supposed to see. I wish I knew how to post photos in the forums like everyone else does. And it WAS intentional!?! That's freaking COOL!
CaddoPuma

Postby Granger » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:38 am

jorb wrote:
jordancoles wrote:What's to stop me from tresspassing on a person's claim and then picking up and dropping their cupboards until they break?

Your sense of decency?

Hahahaha. Wishful thinking at its best.

Interesting changes, thanks for the QoL with the cart.

Does the auth drain also apply to personal claims? If not this should be added or the past village tentacle meta just changes into pclaim islands (as they're already used for clay or water).
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby glaive » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:00 am

Also if we can't plow from horses can we plow from behind horses with a horse plow?

Like this:

Or go more medieval times
glaive

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements