Game Development: Post Rose

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Post Rose

Postby tyrtix » Wed May 30, 2018 11:43 pm

VDZ wrote:
However, I do think the idea is interesting. Rather than having it being a punishment mechanic, you could just have a higher range of possible quality increase when harvesting at the optimal time, and just the normal quality chances if you harvest it immediately or after two weeks.

Any mechanic that relies on precise timing, have a great advantage in using bots.
tyrtix

Postby waga » Thu May 31, 2018 3:31 am

tyrtix wrote:
VDZ wrote:
However, I do think the idea is interesting. Rather than having it being a punishment mechanic, you could just have a higher range of possible quality increase when harvesting at the optimal time, and just the normal quality chances if you harvest it immediately or after two weeks.

Any mechanic that relies on precise timing, have a great advantage in using bots.

Indeed.
However , there should be a place for normal players to gain an advantage if they're dedicated enough.
If not it only becomes a chore you have to do every 3 days , without any optimization and brain matter involved.
A task that doesn't interest me at all and one I would probably bot tbh.

The system offered with this patch has serious flaw and possible abuse , the devs are aware of it and plan to rework it , so wait and see I guess ...
But it's not only the execution that bothers me , it's the idea behind it.
To reduce the impact of the bots , they also reduce the impact of ours action to minimax.
It should imo , never be the case.
waga

Postby tyrtix » Thu May 31, 2018 11:26 am

that exactly happened with study desks too: seeing the level of curio consumption i get into, now i just dump most things into desk and go on. The problem in botting is involved in the capacity to do so, not only for game mechanics: botting is done because it removes the part of the game that some do not like, and is done by those people that have a high advantage in doing so, that's it.
tyrtix

Postby CTheRain » Thu May 31, 2018 1:05 pm

Google captchas for F2P only when? Would rid the game of most bots.
We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.
CTheRain

Postby ghandhikus » Thu May 31, 2018 3:46 pm

Actually, captcha was introduced in some often botted games and reduced it significantly. But still won't remove them completely. I am full out into that.

One of the notable examples is RPG MO, which shows you captcha for every overly repeated packet from a player, or just major marketable actions, like buying things from a shop, fishing or cutting trees.
King of Game-design and Java Programmer
Image RIP lather ball 2017/08/24 01:21
ghandhikus

Postby MagicManICT » Thu May 31, 2018 4:31 pm

ghandhikus wrote:Actually, captcha was introduced in some often botted games and reduced it significantly. But still won't remove them completely. I am full out into that.

I usually just quit and hit the "uninstall" button when I run into those.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby ghandhikus » Thu May 31, 2018 4:45 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
ghandhikus wrote:Actually, captcha was introduced in some often botted games and reduced it significantly. But still won't remove them completely. I am full out into that.

Botter detected :^)
King of Game-design and Java Programmer
Image RIP lather ball 2017/08/24 01:21
ghandhikus

Postby MagicManICT » Thu May 31, 2018 5:47 pm

ghandhikus wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:

Botter detected :^)

And?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:59 pm

Just make it so you get lp only for completing captchas. Remove curios and questing. Only reasonable solution to bots.
DDDsDD999

Postby CTheRain » Thu May 31, 2018 6:02 pm

One of the notable examples is RPG MO, which shows you captcha for every overly repeated packet from a player, or just major marketable actions, like buying things from a shop, fishing or cutting trees.

Yeah you can't stop captcha if they pay for a premium human solver service. Its like $0.50 - $1 per 1k captcahs solved. Games like this who's gonna "pay" to bot without much benefit? Hardly any. Yeah RPG MO is the best example.

MagicManICT wrote:I usually just quit and hit the "uninstall" button when I run into those.

If its affecting actual game play yeah I'd quit it also. I'd say 5 minute timer on CAPTCHA then you get forcefully logged out or "something similar". It would have to benefit the player to complete them maybe LP or EXP.
We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.
CTheRain

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements