Game Development: Ranger's Honey

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Ranger's Honey

Postby Astarisk » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:47 am

Potter's Clay now requires two bricks, rather than one. Not sure if this fix is relevant, or if Potter's Clay is too broken irrespective of this? Does bone clay still have a place? Let us know.

Also this just nerfs the production of potters clay, it doesn't really /nerf/ potters clay. If you want bone clay to be competitive to potters clay more than that will probably need to be done. You and loftar might need to take a day to brainstorm and figure out how you guys want the end game industry to look like. The economy of hafen could benefit a lot from this. Trading seems practically dead at this point as people are just stockpiling hats and tokens for the next world.

We need to towards how we can create more sinks into the game like metal-spiralling, or industries that everyone (even the lowest of low nab) can contribute to. We need definite reasons to want to trade with these people (currently cast iron is the most valuable resource they can provide to end game factions). I would love for more industry that is an endless sink. For example the food rework could help with this nicely. We need reasons to make low Q food useful. The "one tap the FEP bar" meta needs to end. All food should be useful no matter the quality or type. Rant rant rant...
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby loftar » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:48 am

MrBunzy wrote: An interesting change for sure, i'm looking forward to testing it, but i'm guessing oak stance will become a little too powerful. It's already the default for low stat fighters, and with this it might be incredibly hard to kill someone who just sits on oak and spams defenses, even with (especially with?) significantly higher stats.

Half the idea was to give lower-statted fighters a bit of a handicap. Not sure yet if it might be too much. An alternative I considered, and will probably implement if it's necessary, is to make it so that the effect of these maneuvers are only "optimal" against equal-statted opponents, and then go down on both sides from that.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Astarisk » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:55 am

jordancoles wrote:
Astarisk wrote:
For Oak Stance, Death or Glory, Combat Meditation and Bloodlust, inverted the effect of disparity in combat stats between you and the opponent(s), so that you get a better effect from them the better your opponent is, rather than the other way around. This primarily to reduce the effectiveness of alts.

This seems like an interesting change, but it also scares me a lot. It could make alts more effective in combat since they will be a lot harder to take down. Focusing one down could just leave you vulnerable to double OP knock move combos or something. It encourages having low UA (Since ua doesn't determine damage) and a fuck ton of stre to follow up the OP Knocks. But this is just me speculating, so who knows, maybe it will be fine.

Op knock while alternating DoG and Combat med as needed are the worst aspects of the change imo, but at least OP knock is affected by UA weight so it won't be as effective if you're heavily out statting them. However, double op-knock isn't anything to brush off and if you have multiple characters using it it's pretty scary

It's not effected, OP Knocks works the same no matter the UA you have. Thats part of the reason alts in fights can be scary.

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby jordancoles » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:56 am

loftar wrote:
MrBunzy wrote: An interesting change for sure, i'm looking forward to testing it, but i'm guessing oak stance will become a little too powerful. It's already the default for low stat fighters, and with this it might be incredibly hard to kill someone who just sits on oak and spams defenses, even with (especially with?) significantly higher stats.

Half the idea was to give lower-statted fighters a bit of a handicap. Not sure yet if it might be too much. An alternative I considered, and will probably implement if it's necessary, is to make it so that the effect of these maneuvers are only "optimal" against equal-statted opponents, and then go down on both sides from that.

Not sure how I feel about that one

The odds of meeting someone the same stats as you is probably less likely than meeting someone stronger/weaker. It's probably safer to assume you're always out-statted than to fight using risky maneuvers and hope that you're in the Goldilocks zone
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby julian12it » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:57 am

loftar wrote:
julian12it wrote:Where's the client though?

Not sure what to answer that wouldn't be more or less an essay. That being said, may be worth writing one. Will consider. :)

Didn't mean as a joke or disrespectful way, just wanted to know how the progress is going. Going to be longer than expected or still on the right track?
julian12it

Postby ctopolon4 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:57 am

jorb wrote:get a better effect from them the better your opponent is .... reduce the effectiveness of alts

hard to understand....
so ill get less rage charge & oak oppening reduce from my alt who hit me with "Feigned Dodge" ?
main char always better than alt, so alt will have better effect of maneuvers ? (in pvp Main vs Alt with Death glory - main will not get IP, but alt will get double ?)
ctopolon4

Postby jordancoles » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:58 am

Astarisk wrote:It's not effected, OP Knocks works the same no matter the UA you have. Thats part of the reason alts in fights can be scary.

?
5/5 op knocks affects it I know, but it also says it's affected by melee in the tooltip and in my experience that seems to be the case
Could be wrong, I guess
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby AriZona » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:05 am

loftar wrote:
waga wrote:the potter change accomplish absolutely nothing lol

Thanks for the highly thoughtful, useful and constructive critique lol[/qu

IMHO , after introducing potter's clay the bone clay became redundant in making the top Q items. Deeper divergence in their applications should be made.
AriZona

Postby Astarisk » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:06 am

jordancoles wrote:
Astarisk wrote:It's not effected, OP Knocks works the same no matter the UA you have. Thats part of the reason alts in fights can be scary.

?
5/5 op knocks affects it I know, but it also says it's affected by melee in the tooltip and in my experience that seems to be the case
Could be wrong, I guess

5/5 effects it but your combat weight does not. It raises a set amount each time as it says, 40% of their greatest opening.

Astarisk

Postby jordancoles » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:08 am

TIL then

Image Image Image
jordancoles

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements