Game Development: Bony Antvatar

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bony Antvatar

Postby shubla » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:49 pm

I wonder if cattle skeletons mean that cattle now decays into skeletons eventually!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby azrid » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:41 pm

2 hermits developing the game.
Its a wild ride.
azrid

Postby jordancoles » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:52 pm

Pinkie-Pie wrote:tl;dr If you ain't caught up yet, 30 more q on your kiln aint gonna get you there.

To be honest what was the likely hood of you 'catching up' anyway? Just play. Stop worrying how many points you are ahead of or behind someone. Quality is a game mechanic not a main objective. Now if it were like a year ago or so, and anyone had a standing chance to 'catch up' with the elite of HH then maybe I could understand.

I don't understand why people fret so much over min-maxing. Don't that suck the fun out? Besides, over a year in the likelihood that anyone- especially new characters- will 'catch up' is almost none. This is the case with or without the ability to push your kiln 20-30 points higher.

The difference was more like 240q, not 30. And clay q is the backbone for all other forms of industry
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby ivka » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:51 pm

Honoka wrote:Making potter's clay will be now rly painfull... It took already enough effort to make good potter's clay. Instead of nerfing it, in my opinion, you should buff bone clay. Maybe add brick to recipe (like in potters clay) or easier acquirable cave/pit clay.

Bone Clay recipe is already better than Potter's Clay in regard of quality of materials - it has bone ash instead of bricks, and its effect is greater than bricks in Potter's Clay (1/3 vs 1/4). Rarity of cave clay makes its usable quality pretty low (12-20) compared to gray, acre and ball (50-60ish), but then you have feldspar, which can be easily acquired 120+q. However, lack of Potter's Wheel influence on Bone Clay makes it unusable compared to Potter's which quality is raised quite significantly by that.
ivka

Postby Kaios » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:13 pm

I haven't actually logged in for a bit but I hated quality this world and the re-addition of bone clay didn't make the quality grind any better or more interesting, just easier. Especially when you can find animals quality 470-500+
Kaios

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:02 pm

this updates cool and all but we need cosmetic outfits
ChildhoodObesity

Postby jock2 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:44 pm

Guys relax,

It's nowhere near as easy to develop and balance a game as you think and mistakes will be made. Of course, this seems to be an oversight or a heavy-handed nerf but we all know that anything that happens now is primarily to balance the next world.

We are hitting the late game hard in new and extreme ways, relax. Give constructive feedback.

Now Feedback.

I think potters clay was in a relatively good place as the end game clay.

It did, however, nullify bone clay. The simplest change to add value to several things and expand the trade of the game is to add bone clay to the recipe( preferable white brick).

My reasoning:

Trade:

High QL bones will retain value to increase the ql of the bone clay to min-max the potter's clay produced
Cave clay is now on the table to continue as a solid sellable item forever.

This gives wealthier players something to trade for, something that most players can achieve relatively quick.

Balance and gameplay:

Expands the difficulty of spiralling but adds more value to doing so, via kiln to push up the bone ash and then the White brick. Creating more progressive steps to attain the higher ql clay.
Retains the value of bone clay and the value of the potter's clay credo.
Creates a "tech" tree of sorts.
jock2

Postby svino » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:12 pm

I gotta say, I miss making bone clay.
It's a lot more fun to work hard on collecting bones and pit clay for months just to make that perfect kiln.
With potters clay you can just go out and collect materials for a super kiln in a few hours. (Of course this is just because it's so late in the world)

I think that bone clay should always stay better than potters clay, unless potters clay materials is remade. Maybe make potters clay require pit clay? Or other hard to get items? Or just make bone clay better.
svino

Postby waga » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:25 pm

svino wrote:I gotta say, I miss making bone clay.
It's a lot more fun to work hard on collecting bones and pit clay for months just to make that perfect kiln.
With potters clay you can just go out and collect materials for a super kiln in a few hours. (Of course this is just because it's so late in the world)

With boneclay I can just go out and collect materials for a super bad kiln in a few hours. (Of course this is just because it's so late in the world)
Or ... I could let a bot do that ...
waga

Postby jock2 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:44 pm

waga wrote:
svino wrote:I gotta say, I miss making bone clay.

With boneclay I can just go out and collect materials for a super bad kiln in a few hours. (Of course this is just because it's so late in the world)
Or ... I could let a bot do that ...

And that ia the worst and hardest part to balance. Botting, how much does the gameplay need to suffer because a bot can do it better?
jock2

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements