Game Development: Bony Antvatar

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bony Antvatar

Postby Ardennesss » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:31 am

Schattengaenger wrote:Reading trough the salt in the first 4 pages nearly mummified my body solid.
Is it really so hard to maintain at least some composure and give them you crutique in a civilized manner?

Or do you really think that swearing get yuo further than well-argued thoughts on the matter.
"Oi mate, your fucked up big time here ... this is just shit"
"I have now told you 4 times that this is shit, so why don't you make it better"
"That'S not better that is just more shit than before"

Historically speaking, simply saying "Jorb, I disagree with these changes and would like you to reconsider" will get you absolutely nothing. Like JColes said, it looks stupid but it works. If the normal feedback is "this was a silly change" and then you put out a patch where people are saying you literally ruined the fucking game and crashed the goddamn clay market and solidified all qualities that involved clay or bricks, it gets a little more attention.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby Aceb » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:19 pm

Ardennesss wrote:
Schattengaenger wrote:Reading trough the salt in the first 4 pages nearly mummified my body solid.
Is it really so hard to maintain at least some composure and give them you crutique in a civilized manner?

Or do you really think that swearing get yuo further than well-argued thoughts on the matter.
"Oi mate, your fucked up big time here ... this is just shit"
"I have now told you 4 times that this is shit, so why don't you make it better"
"That'S not better that is just more shit than before"

Historically speaking, simply saying "Jorb, I disagree with these changes and would like you to reconsider" will get you absolutely nothing. Like JColes said, it looks stupid but it works. If the normal feedback is "this was a silly change" and then you put out a patch where people are saying you literally ruined the fucking game and crashed the goddamn clay market and solidified all qualities that involved clay or bricks, it gets a little more attention.

Yeah, I can support that. People behind scenes cried, laughed and smashed buttons even harder. There was some people speaking normally before this patch with some ideas and I don't want blame people for this outburst if situation looked like a few ideas thrown in there or there, then suddenly Loftar says "Oh I forgot it uses potter wheel" and next patch it happens.

It wasn't nice, it was unnecessary (probably) but it worked and it can be (sadly) justified.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Aceb wrote:was unnecessary (probably) but it worked and it can be (sadly) justified

Ends never justify the means. If that was the case, I can think of a lot of things in this world that we could do "because look what I accomplished!!" We could cure cancer. We could end world hunger... by killing the hungry people!

Reasoned arguments work wonders with these guys, just like anywhere else. It's a two man team, and major changes are slow. The other problem is only two eyes look at the problem before implementation, and sometimes critical things are missed, or there's nobody else to say, "But I don't think the players are going to like this."
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Aceb » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:35 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Aceb wrote:was unnecessary (probably) but it worked and it can be (sadly) justified

Ends never justify the means. If that was the case, I can think of a lot of things in this world that we could do "because look what I accomplished!!" We could cure cancer. We could end world hunger... by killing the hungry people!

Reasoned arguments work wonders with these guys, just like anywhere else. It's a two man team, and major changes are slow. The other problem is only two eyes look at the problem before implementation, and sometimes critical things are missed, or there's nobody else to say, "But I don't think the players are going to like this."

Probably and totally right. But changes like that should be at least discussed or planned, not rushed, for the future reference. :oops:
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Aceb wrote:Probably and totally right. But changes like that should be at least discussed or planned, not rushed, for the future reference.

Yeah... and I think others have made the same statement before. Also worth noting the "alpha state" of the game. That a typical alpha is buggy and crashes all the time draws people away from that fact.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Ants » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:51 pm

MY VERY OWN HAT! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I love you jorb senpai.
KAWAII.png
KAWAII.png (141.33 KiB) Viewed 1925 times

By the way, can someone check how the new hat looks on a nidbane? I'm curious.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby delsus » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:55 pm

No patch tonight, aiming for next week !

(Just kidding, I am not Jorb)
delsus

Postby Reyajh » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:23 pm

You had me... for about a tenth of a nanosecond there :x

Aceb wrote:Probably and totally right. But changes like that should be at least discussed or planned, not rushed, for the future reference. :oops:

Personally, with just a 2 man team I'd rather have them doing what they do... I didn't like the change either and am glad they reverted but, could you imagine if they had to discuss everything before implementing..? Yea, in hindsight it was a bad move, but who knows what it fermented from. Frankly, I think the game is ama-zing for just 2 guys :P
Just my .O2... Taste, drink.., like/hate...
Jorb: "Oh, don't you worry. We're gonna take care of the pepper situation!" ¦]
Reyajh

Postby loftar » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:08 am

waga wrote:Alright , they do listen.

Just for the record, I'd like to say that I pushed for the clay change precisely because I tried to listen. :)

People were complaining about Potter's Clay being broken, and when we tried but failed to fix it in the prior patch, the only complaints were that we failed, not that we shouldn't have tried.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby NOOBY93 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:27 am

Wouldn't it be possible to implement an algorithm that turns a carcass model into a skeleton model so you don't have to make a new one every time you implement an animal? Or would this probably look like trash or take way too much time?
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements