Game Development: Oak Apple Gold

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Oak Apple Gold

Postby tigerlrg245 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:08 am

jorb wrote:Quest givers will now, occasionally, reward you for completing quests for them with a permanent, local quality increase to some particular herb.

Very interesting change, Will be nice for a village to focus on a quest giver now.
Huge buff to charisma. Is there a specific list of herbs that can be effected or is it all of them depending on the zone?

May I ask if this only happens as the last quest in a chain every now and then,
so people won't be able to spam alts to abuse this?

Edit: here's my thoughts on the different foragables it can modify:
(we wont see many changes to world 10 I recon. only from 11+)

Clovers:
Clovers effect milk and wool q. So you can get much better cheese from milking wild aurochs, better plush bats, a buff to the forgotten Vapntreyiu,
and yarn which can be used as string.
This will create a probably MUCH higher quality wool and milk market for people who can get these clovers to provide others with.

String:
Of course getting yarn from clovers contains more softcaps and is more tedious than simply getting good taproots and nettles,
The one I'm most scared of is cattail fibers.
if Cattail fibers are part of the pool, they will be the strongest herb, and I can see wars over villages residing next to them.

Mushrooms:
Buff to mushroom pie and other mushroom foods. Should be on par with meatpies now but will require someone to actually invest time buffing them, same as chives.
With work you could get those to higher q than can be maintained in pots, another valuable market, gathering mushrooms in your village and selling for actual profit
sounds refreshingly fun. I like.

Blueberries, lingon berries, etc:
Buff to certain pies and foods, power is now carried into the late game.
Both of these are good because of lingon bread and birthday cake, charisma is now more sought after.

Mandrake roots?
If those are in the pool, building a graveyard can spawn mandrakes and you can start creating nidbanes with a slightly(?) bigger punch. Maybe dark effigy buff

I would also like to point out the effect this has on villages. There will be more incentive to recruit people, and especially people with charisma on their character, or
you'll just build it for them. Regardless of what your playstyle is like, as long as you do quests you can already help your village.
Villages might also share certain quest givers, and help level their areas for greater results. This won't have to be chaotic to work out once realms settle.

Mussels:
if it effects them, pearl divers gonna have a real business.

The only concern i have at this point is how do we know what will be buffed in the quest, and more importantly, do all quest givers buff all herbs, or do all of them have a private limited pool,
because it'd be better if the quest giver specialized in one or a few, otherwise this will feel like every village is the same.

Edit: WWW also big if works
Last edited by tigerlrg245 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerlrg245

Postby Enjoyment » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:57 am

Why did you decide that pearl can be ''some particular HERB''?
English is neither my native lang, nor my best side...
Enjoyment
Under curfew

Postby Vesena » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:03 am

Probably took "Herb" to mean "anything you pick up with foraging", which is the way it's used in the Forager credo.
Vesena

Postby tigerlrg245 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:10 am

Enjoyment wrote:Why did you decide that pearl can be ''some particular HERB''?

Mussels are foragables, if this is about herbs and not foragables then mushrooms and most of the other things aren't really herbs either right?
We'll have to wait to see how it works exactly.
tigerlrg245

Postby Mervin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:38 am

I got this so I'm guessing anything you can collect can be raised.
Mervin

Postby Amanda44 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:20 pm

Redcued risk of Coaler's Cough and Beestings.

Thank you! :D

Btw, typo needs fixing ... :P :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby jorb » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Amanda44 wrote:Btw, typo needs fixing ... :P :)

Thanks! Did.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby jorb » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:15 pm

tigerlrg245 wrote:Mussels are foragables, if this is about herbs and not foragables then mushrooms and most of the other things aren't really herbs either right?
We'll have to wait to see how it works exactly.

Works for anything forageable, indeed. I sometimes use herb and forageable interchangeably.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby iamahh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:24 pm

first thing i saw when i log in is "quest failed"

this has potential to make QGs a PITA similar to localized resources
iamahh

Postby jorb » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:45 pm

iamahh wrote:first thing i saw when i log in is "quest failed"

this has potential to make QGs a PITA similar to localized resources

You failing a quest has nothing to do with the patch, though. More likely a quest giver you were working for got the axe.

jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements