Game Development: Magnifying Cook

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Magnifying Cook

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:01 pm

VDZ wrote:Using alts as disposable objects to avoid gameplay elements or making use of them in ways the game was not designed for is definitely unintended.

And probably the only example I've seen anyone pull up about the abuse of alts in the last six years since it was posted. A near immediate "fix" was put in, too. I can think of a few other very specific examples from other games I've played where it was easy to multiclient and make free or trial accounts. Devs usually put some rules in place to punish those that abused such things or patched/limited what those accounts could do--before or after doesn't matter.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:33 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
VDZ wrote:Using alts as disposable objects to avoid gameplay elements or making use of them in ways the game was not designed for is definitely unintended.

And probably the only example I've seen anyone pull up about the abuse of alts in the last six years since it was posted.

lmao, fucking what. Siege alts, scouts alts, credo alts, combat-fuel alts, body-block alts, vandal alts, crafting alts, rage alts, boating alts, speed-buff stealing alts. People have been abusing the fuck out of alts for the past 6 years, unless your scope is that of the underside of a rock.
DDDsDD999

Postby Granger » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:44 pm

Don't remember to have actually asked in good faith to completely remove hearthing (I can also make jokes at times). Nevertheless I think a limit on hearthing in the sense that you can't do it constantly and consequence free could be a reasonable thing. As would to replace teleportation on roads with a form of fast travel that keeps the character inside the world and restores the meaning of map locality.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:06 pm

Granger wrote:Don't remember to have actually asked in good faith to completely remove hearthing (I can also make jokes at times). Nevertheless I think a limit on hearthing in the sense that you can't do it constantly and consequence free could be a reasonable thing. As would to replace teleportation on roads with a form of fast travel that keeps the character inside the world and restores the meaning of map locality.

why not just make it so hearthing is based on travel weariness, every time you travel to hf it adds +2 to travel weariness past 90 it doesn't let you hf anymore unless koed.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Enjoyment » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:22 am

wonder-ass wrote:
Granger wrote:Don't remember to have actually asked in good faith to completely remove hearthing (I can also make jokes at times). Nevertheless I think a limit on hearthing in the sense that you can't do it constantly and consequence free could be a reasonable thing. As would to replace teleportation on roads with a form of fast travel that keeps the character inside the world and restores the meaning of map locality.

why not just make it so hearthing is based on travel weariness, every time you travel to hf it adds +2 to travel weariness past 90 it doesn't let you hf anymore unless koed.

Would be pretty logical and elegant solution, but I doubt it would satisfy Loftar's hate to his players.
English is neither my native lang, nor my best side...
Enjoyment
Under curfew

Postby VDZ » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:37 am

wonder-ass wrote:

We'd need a better way to reduce TW early-game, though, or this would just prevent new characters from hearthing entirely. Plus, for advanced players it isn't that much of a problem as they can easily reduce TW.
VDZ

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:50 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:lmao, fucking what.

Let's not forget this isn't the only game that let's you run a shit-ton of alts... Forget about the people that multibox WoW raids solo? Guys that run mid to large mining gangs in EVE solo, and somehow are hard to get with ganksquads?

Maybe one of these days someone will convince jorbtar to allow a limited number of characters per account, and do some policing of how many accounts can be created (for free, at a minimum) by one person. Until then, it's as much of the game as killing chickens. And even at that point, someone is going to figure out how to bend the rules to breaking without actually breaking them.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:41 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:lmao, fucking what.

Let's not forget this isn't the only game that let's you run a shit-ton of alts... Forget about the people that multibox WoW raids solo? Guys that run mid to large mining gangs in EVE solo, and somehow are hard to get with ganksquads?

Maybe one of these days someone will convince jorbtar to allow a limited number of characters per account, and do some policing of how many accounts can be created (for free, at a minimum) by one person. Until then, it's as much of the game as killing chickens. And even at that point, someone is going to figure out how to bend the rules to breaking without actually breaking them.

I'd like to see 1 char per account and $2.50 a month per account, with sub tokens still adding the normal bonuses.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby Artemiswhb » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:49 pm

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:I'd like to see 1 char per account and $2.50 a month per account, with sub tokens still adding the normal bonuses.

Yeah because that worked so well in world 8, right?
Artemiswhb

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:52 am

If you can't afford to pay $2.50 a month to play Haven you might as well get a job ;)
I don't remember what the subscription system was at the start of W8, but a $2.50 base is peanuts.
An EvE subscription is six times higher.

This isn't a game like Path of Exile.
Alts make the game less meaningful to everyone, are inherently unnecessary to enjoy the game, and cause some pretty serious harm to the economy through botting.
Robben_DuMarsch

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements