Game Development: Magnifying Cook

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Magnifying Cook

Postby Granger » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:56 am

Robben, do I read this correctly as 2.5€ to access a character and in case you want convenience/LP bonus you'll need an active subscription? Worded differently: free tier to be replaced with 2.5€ 'basic subscription' and accounts in general limited to one character?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby infectedking3 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:15 pm

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:If you can't afford to pay $2.50 a month to play Haven you might as well get a job ;)
I don't remember what the subscription system was at the start of W8, but a $2.50 base is peanuts.
An EvE subscription is six times higher.

This isn't a game like Path of Exile.
Alts make the game less meaningful to everyone, are inherently unnecessary to enjoy the game, and cause some pretty serious harm to the economy through botting.

I'd love to graciously tell you that you're a fucking moron if you think this will help anything apart from kill a playerbase that's low either way, having to pay to play is what kept world 8 playerbase really low which is part of the reason why Jorb/loftar removed it.

Now, I do have the money in order to pay for it, but if it came to that, i'd rather quit since it wouldn't be worth that money, i'd rather spend $5-10 a week on a brand new hat or just buy a year long gold sub.
infectedking3

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:30 pm

Granger wrote:Robben, do I read this correctly as 2.5€ to access a character and in case you want convenience/LP bonus you'll need an active subscription? Worded differently: free tier to be replaced with 2.5€ 'basic subscription' and accounts in general limited to one character?

That's correct, generally.
Euro, pound, dollar, it doesn't matter.
The idea isn't tied to a specific value, but rather a nominal fee that will add a tax to alting, and generally generate Jorbtar some much needed revenue.

This is common in many competitive MMOs and generally accepted there.
I understand that some people here are spoiled and have the expectation to game for free. Such is life.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:03 pm

Just want to point out a few things on this, as I didn't intend to bring this all back up again.

1. There are still countries that are member nations of the EU where you can get by for a month on what the average person in the US makes in a day. We have a lot of players from areas like.

2. You can't (shouldn't) limit the number of characters per account unless there's a means for getting rid of (deleting) unwanted characters.

3. If sub tokens are still a thing at that low of a cost, it won't stop the problem, and that's cheap enough anyone that wants to cause a problem can still drop $100 to run 40 accounts. For that matter, money has never been an object when it comes to meeting goals for some people. Anyone remember that guy that ran 36 WoW accounts and "soloed" 40 man vanilla raids? Dropped $15/mo/account, and that not even mentioning the electric bill. Point being, in case I'm not getting it across, is that some people just have money to throw around. Someone will be industrious enough to afford as many tokens as they need a month to run their bot army. Someone (or many someones) will provide those tokens because they don't know or are fine with what that person is doing.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:37 pm

The fact that someone can bypass the lock on my car door doesn't mean I don't lock it.
It's an effective deterrent to the majority of vehicle thefts in my area.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:51 pm

Tons of people live in lower income areas or are young and don't have good jobs. A change like this would fry this game just from how much it would limit the playerbase. Not even considering how it turns the game dynamic into pay to win.
DDDsDD999

Postby jorb » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:45 pm

A hard paywall is not a viable subscription model in 2018, no. Boomer tech.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Bad_Habit123 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:01 pm

Shoulda wait for next development today? :roll:
"Survival can be summed up in three words - never give up. That's the heart of it really.Just keep trying." -- Bear Grylls
Bad_Habit123

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:57 pm

jorb wrote:A hard paywall is not a viable subscription model in 2018, no. Boomer tech.

I'd argue that it's actually the new wave, retro.
Microsoft, EA, others are moving to subscription models for their game catalogs.
Although I acknowledge the counter argument that these are large providers giving value access to a large variety of games, and that they are also sophisticated enough to have localized pricing.
Hell, even software services like Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, etc, have turned to a subscription based service.

Maybe if you integrated with Steam and used their localization system to enable pricing variations depending on locality?
Steam as a distribution platform is probably going to have to happen eventually, regardless.

Subscription paywalls with low barriers of entry to large amounts of content are a great way to monetize ongoing projects that require constant updates and support.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby VDZ » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:00 pm

In the first place, the problem wasn't alting being possible, but rather that potential designs would encourage (and possibly, arguably, necessitate) alt abuse. I would say the preferable solution would be to keep the design reasonable rather than punishing players for doing what the design encourages.
VDZ

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements