Game Development: Magnifying Cook

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Magnifying Cook

Postby Dakkan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:47 am

loftar wrote:
Dakkan wrote:not arbitrary limitations

The permadeath thing may be arbitrary, but I thought of the teleport/log-out limitations as highly thematic for the caves. I've long been a bit bothered by the fact that you can't "get lost" in the caves, or get stuck behind a cave-in, or similar things, and those limitations were intended to remedy that.

Maybe not trapped, but I've been lost plenty of times either through exploring new sections or trying to find localized resources I have marked on my map, but with multiple layers and many different mineshafts it makes it hard to figure out where I am. Pretty damn fun. Also my maps folder is approaching 10 gb I think.
Dakkan

Postby loftar » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:48 am

Dakkan wrote:I've been lost plenty of times

Well, yes, but it's never a problem, because you can just hearth home. I do think that one of the greatest dangers of delving into deep caves should be that you can't get out again.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Dakkan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:57 am

loftar wrote:

Well, yes, but it's never a problem, because you can just hearth home. I do think that one of the greatest dangers of delving into deep caves should be that you can't get out again.

I guess the tough problem with that is how boring it would be to get trapped somewhere and be forced to play in a tiny cave system for the rest of that character's life. More interconnected caves would help a little, but you can't really do natural connections between levels without problems to the early game. Also the huge majority of my underground wandering is because of unprotected mineshafts and other's mines that connect their cave systems, the current caves just don't interconnect much for more than a day or two of exploring without those.
Dakkan

Postby ricky » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:14 am

jorb wrote:Added a slight drift to anchored Knarrs. They will stay near the spot they were parked at, but may drift slightly.

Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby pawnchito » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:23 am

Awesome patch boys. Your game is pretty darn spectacular. Keep up the good work!
pawnchito

Postby loftar » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:47 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:slight drift btw

The things you force me to do.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby titanuranus » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:49 am

Cool patch, any chance that the drift will free knarrs that have been stuck on land?
titanuranus

Postby peanutzrgud » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:13 am

New Credo!

Time to get back to work Colesie!!

<3<3<3<3<3
peanutzrgud

Postby MikeOfDragon » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:23 am

loftar wrote:

I really love this idea. Truly it's what I expected from caves when I found out they existed in w7.
jordancoles wrote:I'm a genius so I've never done this personally, but I can see how some people might accidentally click on the wrong box
MikeOfDragon

Postby Enjoyment » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:58 am

loftar wrote:

I see no difference in porting from deep caves or from other side of the world. If you will be mining pretty far from home and get KO'd by those green fuckers mined out in a number of 10+ w/o ability to port home or logout - you'll loose your char. So you'll just thinkin about removing the big piece of the world from playerbase, allowing it only for those chars, who exploited your broken feasting system.
Tl;dr - no, please, stop.
EDIT: If you want deeper levels to be hard, you should take a look at dungeons. They have good loot, but they hard. But danger is always ahead, so you can try and escape if you weak. That's a good hardness. But just making random death events while mining is not "hard" - that's dump and annoying.
Like with Resident Evil - you can call this game hard, because your character may easily die, but if 90% of those deathes is caused by stupid camera and paralytic controls, then it's just bad game, not hardcore one.
English is neither my native lang, nor my best side...
Enjoyment
Under curfew

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements