Game Development: Magnifying Cook

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Magnifying Cook

Postby wonder-ass » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:37 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:Image

slight drift btw

fucking beautiful.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby loftar » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:52 am

Artemiswhb wrote:Does that include ingredients like rennet and butter?

No, it includes eatable things, not pure ingredients.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Ants » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:55 am

jorb wrote:
Ants wrote:Wait, cave decay was a thing? I thought things never decayed in caves.

Not for objects. Items -- branches &c still decay away.

Ah, good. Please don't make objects decay in caves for a while! And if you do, please make the decay slower the deeper you go. It's nice to be able to mine out huge storage houses and build fancy buildings where you know it won't decay even if you leave the game.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby Dakkan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:02 am

Ants wrote:
jorb wrote:
Ants wrote:Wait, cave decay was a thing? I thought things never decayed in caves.

Not for objects. Items -- branches &c still decay away.

Ah, good. Please don't make objects decay in caves for a while! And if you do, please make the decay slower the deeper you go. It's nice to be able to mine out huge storage houses and build fancy buildings where you know it won't decay even if you leave the game.

That's a good idea for eventual cave decay, the deeper you are the slower the decay.
Dakkan

Postby loftar » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:44 am

Dakkan wrote:That's a good idea for eventual cave decay, the deeper you are the slower the decay.

While that does seem kind of reasonable, I also think that caves should be less and less hospitable the deeper they go. I've generally considered such things as 1) not being able to Travel to Hearth from lower cave levels, 2) not being able to log out from even lower cave levels and/or 3) turning off permadeath protection from lower cave levels (possibly having Cave Hermit restore some of these). It has mostly been Jorb holding me back from it.
loftar

Postby boreial » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:50 am

loftar wrote:
Dakkan wrote:That's a good idea for eventual cave decay, the deeper you are the slower the decay.

While that does seem kind of reasonable, I also think that caves should be less and less hospitable the deeper they go. I've generally considered such things as 1) not being able to Travel to Hearth from lower cave levels, 2) not being able to log out from even lower cave levels and/or 3) turning off permadeath protection from lower cave levels. It has mostly been Jorb holding me back from it.

I could fully get behind option 3, if the scale of rewards for delving deeper were scaled up considerably to compensate the risk.
boreial

Postby jordancoles » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:21 am

I'm going to fucking kill myself :idea:
ingame
Last edited by jordancoles on Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Dakkan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:40 am

loftar wrote:

While that does seem kind of reasonable, I also think that caves should be less and less hospitable the deeper they go. I've generally considered such things as 1) not being able to Travel to Hearth from lower cave levels, 2) not being able to log out from even lower cave levels and/or 3) turning off permadeath protection from lower cave levels (possibly having Cave Hermit restore some of these). It has mostly been Jorb holding me back from it.

It seems like the difficulty of lower cave levels should come the content down there, not arbitrary limitations. More danger for the benefits. Another couple cave levels with drastically increasing challenges in the form of monsters and environments would be fun. But on cave object decay, the closer you are to the surface, the more similar the decay to the surface, always seemed more reasonable. Plus having deeper objects last much longer would be better for later discovery by other people.
Dakkan

Postby loftar » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:43 am

Dakkan wrote:not arbitrary limitations

The permadeath thing may be arbitrary, but I thought of the teleport/log-out limitations as highly thematic for the caves. I've long been a bit bothered by the fact that you can't "get lost" in the caves, or get stuck behind a cave-in, or similar things, and those limitations were intended to remedy that.
loftar

Postby abt79 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:44 am

loftar wrote:

Good on Jorb
abt79

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements