Game Development: Locked Bollock

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Locked Bollock

Postby abt79 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:10 am

Chebermech wrote:
jorb wrote:[*] Introduced animal castration. Male domestic animals can now be castrated. When you castrate animals you receive a "Bollock" of the relevant type, which can be roasted or used in meat recipes. Suggested here.

Awesome update! Could you also make it possible to neuter females as well to be able to sell Female sheep and cows for milking without the ability to breed?
p.s. even though i was anticipated this change, the first thing came to mind was that in the future it would be possible to use this mechanic on players to deny them from being inherited... wonder if anyone else has considered where this path will take us...

as long as it will let us eat pusy u have my vote
abt79

Postby Jaziera1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:25 am

would it be possible to add a castrated tag to the animals?
Jaziera1

Postby ctopolon4 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:57 am

wat the point of the lockpicking if u cant open gates and steal from chest (visiter debuff)
and at raid its more easy to destroy house\chest to get contents (only if u need that chest unscathed => lockpick)

only reason isee: do inside(intrusion), robbery village members
ctopolon4

Postby Dondy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:17 am

The ability to spay females takes us a bit into the unrealistic territory - Spaying females was not possible until the development of major surgery. Everything you need to cut is internal. It is easy to spay a male as all their tackle is outside, but considerably harder to spay a female. Also, spaying a female would ordinarily make it stop producing milk and of course you couldn't restart it again. However you could still shear female sheep and goats.

Chebermech wrote:
Awesome update! Could you also make it possible to neuter females as well to be able to sell Female sheep and cows for milking without the ability to breed?
p.s. even though i was anticipated this change, the first thing came to mind was that in the future it would be possible to use this mechanic on players to deny them from being inherited... wonder if anyone else has considered where this path will take us...
Dondy

Postby dafels » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:42 am

ctopolon4 wrote:wat the point of the lockpicking if u cant open gates and steal from chest (visiter debuff)
and at raid its more easy to destroy house\chest to get contents (only if u need that chest unscathed => lockpick)

only reason isee: do inside(intrusion), robbery village members

This man is right, what is the point really aside it from being a nice larpy feature when you can lock your own doors like in real life :D
This is another feature that takes the game another step towards the direction of farmville and brings another dimension to balance, when already you have enough work to balance everything else which you have a really hard time to do
Last edited by dafels on Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
dafels

Postby NoBizd » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:43 am

Dondy wrote:The ability to spay females takes us a bit into the unrealistic territory - Spaying females was not possible until the development of major surgery. Everything you need to cut is internal. It is easy to spay a male as all their tackle is outside, but considerably harder to spay a female. Also, spaying a female would ordinarily make it stop producing milk and of course you couldn't restart it again. However you could still shear female sheep and goats.

Uh, oh, yeah. Unrealistic territory - we don't want stuff like Trolls, Beaver King, Magic, Teleportation etc. in game, let it be as realistic as it is! Oh, wait... :roll:
NoBizd

Postby MikeOfDragon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:12 am

NoBizd wrote:
Dondy wrote:The ability to spay females takes us a bit into the unrealistic territory - Spaying females was not possible until the development of major surgery. Everything you need to cut is internal. It is easy to spay a male as all their tackle is outside, but considerably harder to spay a female. Also, spaying a female would ordinarily make it stop producing milk and of course you couldn't restart it again. However you could still shear female sheep and goats.

Uh, oh, yeah. Unrealistic territory - we don't want stuff like Trolls, Beaver King, Magic, Teleportation etc. in game, let it be as realistic as it is! Oh, wait... :roll:

While I agree not all of those things are realistic, they help to immerse the player in a world full of Germanic folklore. Shouldn't really worry about realism as much as if the feature will feel distracting to the player. I'd argue more that spaying should be in the game due to QoL over anything to do with immersion/realism.
jordancoles wrote:I'm a genius so I've never done this personally, but I can see how some people might accidentally click on the wrong box
MikeOfDragon

Postby shubla » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:54 am

jorb wrote:[*] Added Fox Skeleton[/list]

Finally!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Bad_Habit123 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:58 am

I dunno even what to say about it. Ofc as QoL this update is sweet, but hey as it was told youve got a big shitpile to fix, balance or simply delete(i guess locktaking deserves it). I wish youll get enough time to complete this great work, and im going to watch
this
jordancoles wrote:

Thanks Jorbo, worth the gold sub

I dont know how did it happen but thanx man, ive got some entertainment :)
"Survival can be summed up in three words - never give up. That's the heart of it really.Just keep trying." -- Bear Grylls
Bad_Habit123

Postby Jalpha » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:41 am

The castration animation looks unnecessarily lengthy and painful for the poor animals. Also neutering females is a much more complex procedure akin to surgury, well beyond the capability of your average hearthling. Also farmers never do this irl. Any female with bad traits just gets killed with the males, ovaries don't taint meat. Nutting animals is for better tasting meat and the only animal which doesn't get nutted are pigs, because they are slaughtered before they reach sexual maturity.

Excepting horses.

I'd also rather be able to lock fellow townies out of a house or two than my whole damn plot to be perfectly honest. I do hope lockpicking leaves some form of crime scent regardless of permissions however otherwise it's literally pointlesss.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements