Game Development: Wish upon a Star

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Wish upon a Star

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:22 pm

Reyajh wrote:
iamahh wrote:would be cool if meteor did some terraforming and fell trees in a radius

Even moreso if it collapsed any caves a level or so deep... Ahh, but for the sake of the care-gerbils, (Not really tho) I digress...
+1.

Would be interesting to see what kind of seismic activity would be required to collapse a mine or cave. Anyone ever notice how all the biggest caves are in tectonically stable regions, yet so many of the world's mines are in highly active regions?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby LostJustice » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:24 pm

loftar wrote:
loftar wrote:That being said, I'll be testing it again on the real server, just to be sure.

I'm sure getting metal from them, at least. Just to be sure, you did mine the meteorite with characters that have all the mining skills, right?

My character was one of the characters used. If you want to take a look at what it has to test it.
LostJustice

Postby Ardennesss » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:15 pm

Mine as well, Miner Credo/Blacksmith Credo/Quarryman. Ore was "well-mined" and smelted into gneiss with 9 coal.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby loftar » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:25 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:yea mining skills, credos, they even used the mining song hearth magic, it was all thought out my maN!!

Well, I guess you really were just unlucky, then. Again, it's not like that outcome was completely impossible; there are quite a few percents of likelihood. I just really wasn't expecting it.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Myrgard » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:15 am

Have you considered that the over all yield might be just a tad low? At this point I'm assuming well get at most 1 meteor a week, 50 ore is enough to decorate even a faction capital if we take into account sketchbook pages. But with smelting in the work anyone other than large factions will never even see any of it, and even they will find it hard to get anything.

I'm not sure what your intentions are in regards to meteorite ore. Super high q for anvils/cauldron? Witcher style super sharp blades? ..if so than fine, but if you intended something even a bit more common you might consider either bigger meteors or more of them.
Myrgard

Postby Dakkan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:37 am

loftar wrote:
ChildhoodObesity wrote:yea mining skills, credos, they even used the mining song hearth magic, it was all thought out my maN!!

Well, I guess you really were just unlucky, then. Again, it's not like that outcome was completely impossible; there are quite a few percents of likelihood. I just really wasn't expecting it.

Hi
Dakkan

Postby Jalpha » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:42 am

I'm not sure why people feel there is some need for hermitages to be able to compete with the factions.

We have two different games in HnN. The solo hermit and the faction townsman. You can choose to play either or both.

It's also highly likely meteors were implemented in a fashion which will prevent any issues with a new world Like those caused by salt and icicles at the beginning of this world.

Yield is probably low, and as worlds progress the out of date items made from the ore will pass on to poorer players.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby thesourceofsadness » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:02 am

Jalpha wrote:I'm not sure why people feel there is some need for hermitages to be able to compete with the factions.

It was already suggested few times in this thread to make some small chunks of meteor to fall in the area around the main crash site. These chunks will be hard to find and control, and will attract hermits to join the bloodbath. Everyone's happy.
thesourceofsadness

Postby Granger » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:22 am

loftar wrote:

I vaguely remember having asked (quite a while ago) for low probability ore to yield smaller units (nuggets, pebbles) instead of empty smelters.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby thesourceofsadness » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:23 am

Granger wrote:
loftar wrote:

I vaguely remember having asked (quite a while ago) for low probability ore to yield smaller units (nuggets, pebbles) instead of empty smelters.

To get an empty smelter as an output is not only dissapointing, but quite not realistic i guess. A full load of ore should give something as an output, or it's "zero percent ore".
thesourceofsadness

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements