Game Development: Wish upon a Star

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Wish upon a Star

Postby maze » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:51 am

Dakkan wrote:
Ysh wrote:
jorb wrote:Added a Purchase History sub-page to the "Account" page on the website. You can now view your entire purchase history there, if you have one.

Does this change not make you worry that the men will gaze upon the magnitude of price they have paid for virtual hat and wrap fists tightly around their few remaining dollars?

Remaining dollars? What is that?

A lot....still willing to put more in but these goofy hats are not my style :S

Also I do not have the skill, must I be logged on when the star happens to fall to get it?
I got the event oddly

SS
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby thesourceofsadness » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:37 am

loftar wrote:
neeco wrote:Can a star land on a player?

In theory, at least. Currently, nothing happens. We debated killing/several hurting players and animals around it, and/or severely damaging structures around it as well, but we left it out for now, at least.

Please, add some terrain devastation at landing site happens after some time from event message, so star-hunters have to avoid landing marker before crash happens, not only wait for a star to cool down.
thesourceofsadness

Postby jordancoles » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:38 am

Globally contested resources with a time gate are pretty cool
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby neeco » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:57 am

jordancoles wrote:Globally contested resources with a time gate are pretty cool

Indeed. Will be interesting to see if the new metal is worth fighting over.
W9: Hermit
W10: LS of EoCity
W11: God King Emperor of the East [Retired]
W12: Wouldn't you like to know

jorb wrote:The running server is the test server.
neeco

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:59 am

loftar wrote:

In theory, at least. Currently, nothing happens. We debated killing/several hurting players and animals around it, and/or severely damaging structures around it as well, but we left it out for now, at least.

I guess this depends on the size of the meteor. There's been a couple of documented cases of a person or animal being struck by one (1). The injuries were severe, but non-life threatening. I imagine getting whacked in the head by a 5 kilo chunk of iron probably won't be good no matter what, and anything of a size to outright kill something (short of that thump in the head) is probably going to cause serious damage in the area... see the fairly recent rock that exploded over Russia (2013) and another over 100 years ago (1908) (2). Also worth noting that the meteor that struck in Arizona about 40k years ago was only about 2x the diameter as the one over Russian in 2013.

I realize there's a level of fantasy here, but I think the way things came out is the better road. Nobody likes random death. If it were only an injury, there probably wouldn't be enough material to chase after. If the intent is only a single piece of meteorite, then the best documented cases of a person or property being hit without being destroyed are evident to death not being very likely, and at worst, you'd get broken bones or severe bruising.

(1) One person that has been well documented, others have had very close calls: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180961238/

(2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

Also: I predict a lot of alts will die investigating these.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Reyajh » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:29 am

Realistically, it could likely have fragmented chunks that broke off of it that could possibly hit players who would survive, and still have a large chunk that lands somewhere nearby... And then there could be the secondary impact explosion throwing out many small fragments of the meteorite itself. I like the idea of one big rock that everyone is fighting over, but I think it would draw more people to the area if they know they may not have to be at the exact spot to still possibly get something... :P
Just my .O2... Taste, drink.., like/hate...
Jorb: "Oh, don't you worry. We're gonna take care of the pepper situation!" ¦]
Reyajh

Postby Enjoyment » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:53 am

loftar wrote:

You should never consider landing it on active claims. While we have some dummy hamsters here, who's soooo happy with idea to be struck with falling star, you're a game developer and should think of all posible consequences a little longer, then few seconds. Because if you think of them you'll see some dramastic playerbase loss. And I'm not talking of some newbie hermit rage-quit after star disaster hit his little shelter. And not even sayin' of how it could effect political scene, where one fraction could be pushed out of competition when loss valuable gear/player just in wrong time. But think what would be if falling star will hit into the middle of Community Fair, ruinig half of the stands, storehouses and months of IRL work of hundreds of ppl. It won't just ruin their stuff and efforts, but also discourage other from participating in such activities in future and local authorities to even try to built something like public markets, if it could be so dangerous.
So, please, don't be a happy hamster but have some responsibilty for ppl spending their most valuable thing - time - on your product.
Have fun!
English is neither my native lang, nor my best side...
Enjoyment
Under curfew

Postby jordancoles » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:57 am

Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby vatas » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:46 am

Bollocks when butchering next week please? Makes no sense that I need to castrate and THEN butcher if I want to gain every piece of the animal.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby KitsuneG » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:18 am

Wiki editor.
KitsuneG

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements