Game Development: Wish upon a Star

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Wish upon a Star

Postby Ardennesss » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:47 am

To get an empty smelter as an output is not only dissapointing, but quite not realistic i guess. A full load of ore should give something as an output, or it's "zero percent ore".

Valid point. Ore that gives absolutely nothing is arguably not ore, it's stone. Is our hearthling classifying it incorrectly as ore? Perhaps It should be nuggets and bars only, and lower the chance for a full bar output?
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby Jalpha » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:49 am

Maybe it already only gives nuggets. Funny if true.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby qoonpooka » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:31 pm

Ardennesss wrote:
To get an empty smelter as an output is not only dissapointing, but quite not realistic i guess. A full load of ore should give something as an output, or it's "zero percent ore".

Valid point. Ore that gives absolutely nothing is arguably not ore, it's stone. Is our hearthling classifying it incorrectly as ore? Perhaps It should be nuggets and bars only, and lower the chance for a full bar output?

Hi, amateur blacksmith/metalworker here.

Smelting isn't as simple as "insert rock, press butan, receive metal." Smelting even high-yield ore under improper conditions of heat, oxygenation, presence of catalyst, etc. will, in fact, get you all sorts of useless new products that have nothing to do with the metal you want. So yeah, a smelter producing zero metal is indeed a thing that can happen especially in a world before extensive chemical studies and advanced process control equipment. Even masters of this trade will build stack furnaces (the main smelting technology of H&H's era) and fail to produce a useful bloom.

I do think, however, that slag, rather than stone, is what ore should be producing. You pulverize ore before you smelt it, and when you screw up, it's that glass-like slag you get at the bottom.

This, of course, is if you're going for realism. Which we're obviously not (see also: reusable smelters, crops that grow in days, animals you tame by physically abusing them until they suddenly decide to like you) so as a gameplay mechanic the metal smelting is probably fine. A more interesting product from failure might be cool though.
qoonpooka

Postby neeco » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:20 pm

qoonpooka wrote:I do think, however, that slag, rather than stone, is what ore should be producing. You pulverize ore before you smelt it, and when you screw up, it's that glass-like slag you get at the bottom.

Could make this a random smelt percentage just like the ore yield. Does that make sense?

qoonpooka wrote:... animals you tame by physically abusing them until they suddenly decide to like you...

:lol:
W9: Hermit
W10: LS of EoCity
W11: God King Emperor of the East [Retired]
W12: Wouldn't you like to know

jorb wrote:The running server is the test server.
neeco

Postby not_a_cat » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:46 pm

jorb wrote:Stats are no longer relevant for maneuvers, and the effects of maneuvers are always constant. This reverses a controversial change to maneuvers that we had made here.

Looks like maneuvers' descriptions were not updated:
dorg.png
dorg.png (29.08 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
cm.png
cm.png (36.93 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
not_a_cat

Postby awsomkid373 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:51 am

I wish that i wish for another wish.
awsomkid373

Postby DatSheep » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:25 am

awsomkid373 wrote:I wish that i wish for another wish.

S 4 m 3
Something died in my basement and gave me rubella
DatSheep

Previous

Return to Announcements