Game Development: Dynamic Cow

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Dynamic Cow

Postby iamahh » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:28 am

tyrtix wrote:Think to this: wurm just did the same thing (well, more graphic rendering rewrite), and it changed basically nothing, while that game also had (and still have) lag problems, that HnH does not seems to have at all. Anyway, obvously, trying to point out that things not made are a problem for the game is trying to use strawman arguments :) nice try.

the game lagged in big battles earlier this world, so they decided to finish this rewriting before proceeding to other major updates like controlled objects...

your idea the game is in such a bad shape just shows you're clueless about what is going on
iamahh

Postby blank » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:16 pm

ignore all the hate. you Guys are doing great. People dont realize jorb and Loftar are only 2 people and have lives of their own. They implement LOTS of peoples ideas. i know for a fact some of mine have made it to the game. who cares if it takes them alil time. i would rather it be that way than implement something and take it back the next day like combat update. Have patience people.

You dont see me over reacting over the Gladiator hat im still waiting on

XD XD

keep up the good work guys!
blank

Postby Amanda44 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:22 pm

loftar wrote:I'm sorry for sucking at getting the client rewrite done. :(

<3 :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Granger » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:00 pm

loftar wrote:
tyrtix wrote:meantime 160 heartlings on... oh man, oh man, i see the same exact issues in other games, and the SAME EXACT way to not take care of things from different devs.

I'm sorry for sucking at getting the client rewrite done. :(

Don't be sorry, doing stuff right takes time (as it involves iterating on doing stuff wrong, which also takes time).

The ones complaining should STFU unless they can link a similar project on github (or whatever) of which the can prove ownership an on which they did a better job (proven through the commit chain).
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby tyrtix » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:15 pm

MagicManICT wrote:I'd like to see their 3D engines and how they perform. (I know how well mine did... :? )

They perform badly but is a structure from 2010 on wich many different ppl worked on, so have a wide range of problems and is hard to fix because of the confusion in the codes.

Anyway, think that: wurm have same quality design for tools and even there nothing "breaks" so there's no sink for items, while consumables are even scarcer than in HnH. This ended up in a continuous loss of player up now, the lag became a serious problem with the new server that was 8x the largest one they had before, wich was launched 3 years ago, with so many issues they should have just closed it and fix the problems... guess what? at launch and in the 2 months later they had the higher player counts, wich halved in the following 6 months because of the issues... then the original dev decided to put up a money rake operation and made a "single player" version wich sold decently but again halved the population.

After these two "smart" decisions, he just sold all the online game and now a team of ppl is working at it. They expanded the food system making it very similar to the most "recent" rework here in hnh: more complex but without a real finalization of the system, plus for not making the old player leave, they left the old system up. They added new items, they had to fix them because were all clunky and there were many mistakes in how they worked, near to the point they did them w/o knowing what they were doing, then added new animals, new structures and so on...none of these things made the players stay in game, none of these changes were really helpful for player retain, and new ppl coming just left after 2 weeks-1 month, as we see mostly here too.

Overall, i just saw in these games that similar behaviours led to similar outputs and in the end did not changed anything. Btw, wurm left nearly all the pvp community after they were the more vocal in forum but the less that contributed to the game, both in game and in money.

There's nothing worse than those that not see that criticism is not hate, and suggestions are on the opposite of hating. In fact, if the game does not fare so well as expected, their best enemies are those that says that all is done up now is great and no need to change.
tyrtix

Postby awsomkid373 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:58 pm

Cool, now cows have their own unique skin patterns. I hadn't reach to the point where I can herd animals but I bet it's gonna be worth it.
awsomkid373

Postby Granger » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:29 pm

tyrtix wrote:their best enemies are those that says that all is done up now is great and no need to change.

Unless you're already talking about H&H: Same problem here, here we also have a certain (at times quite loud) circle that seems mentally unable to let go of old things, even when these have been proven problematic and in dire need of modification.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby jordancoles » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:57 am

jorb wrote:
tyrtix wrote:meantime 160 heartlings on... oh man, oh man, i see the same exact issues in other games, and the SAME EXACT way to not take care of things from different devs.

Feel entirely free to suggest improvements, oh sage one.

Since you asked..

Remove satiations and look into FEP bonuses across the board because atm when you add it all up you just get insane numbers

Stat cap of 1000 base + gear bonuses (probably the most controversial topic aside from the next one down)

Remove boosts in stick quality when chopping blocks with high q axes (would nerf qualities across the board by a lot, so also debatable if that's good or not)

Bum burn from eating too much peppered food

Add higher tier fish to make the credo worth doing

Remove credo scaling across the board and only scale credos as they relate to their skill chain eg. Fisher and forager would both take 2 per level regardless of if you've done one or the other previously

Let us hearth out of dungeons after being KO'd (or fix infinite spawn rooms once and for all)

Look into quest scaling and hearth magic spams

Make some cool store hats

More keybind hotbars for default client

Roadmap 2019 pls
Last edited by jordancoles on Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby wonder-ass » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:10 am

add try time back to sieging so we can skip 2/3 of the waiting time. nobody wants to sit there sieging for 13 hours
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:19 am

jordancoles wrote:Remove satiations and look into FEP bonuses across the board because atm when you add it all up you just get insane numbers

You'll need to explain this further, I personally like the satiations being involved, and the drinks used to clear them. How do you 'get insane numbers across the board' and why would 'FEP Bonuses across the board' fix that?

Stat cap of 1000 base + gear bonuses (probably the most controversial topic aside from the next one down)

Dear God Yes Please.

Remove boosts in stick quality when chopping blocks with high q axes (would nerf qualities across the board by a lot, so also debatable if that's good or not)

I was recently thinking about this very thing, but I'd also just like to see more things being hard-capped instead of softcapped.

Bum burn from eating too much peppered food

I'm presuming the purpose of this is to cut back on the 50% bonus, which I can't hate. Is it a wound?

Remove credo scaling across the board and only scale credos as they relate to their skill chain eg. Fisher and forager would both take 2 per level regardless of if you've done one or the other previously

I have to agree if I understand you fully, that this is the best compromise for the credo situation but needs to be combined with the elimination of lemming credos and credos not carrying over through inheritance, or at least losing random ones through inheritance (to a minimum of 0)

Add in Stat Decay over time of inactivity, decay of quality in things left on unclaimed land (In and Out of structures), and stat maintenance being required above certain stat levels.

Also make it so that having a Farming under the Q of the seeds you're using causes Q decay, because why the hell was that ever a good idea to take out?
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements