Game Development: Dynamic Cow

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Dynamic Cow

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Low playercount is a feature
DDDsDD999

Postby tyrtix » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:11 pm

let's say i've already answered multiple time both here and on the two other games that shares most similarities with this one (for obvious reasons): wurm, and salem.

All three games started to loose a lot of players and devs basically reverted to push in a LOT more contents that are pointless but funny (fluff as most said already), and overall have no connection with the game or gives the sensation to be part of a complex single system, but more "throw things at the wall and look at what sticks".

Having few concepts as the column of the game and develope it around these concepts could improve and make easier to test stuff and make things less clunky and, also, make them need less changes because they are broken af (myrkwood offering anyone? changed how many times, three?)

Is H&H a survival game? how much part you want the players to stick at crafting? trading? building?

Botting has become a feature of the game, not fought by the staff but even incentivated (via spiraling items, wich IS now a feature but can be done only by botting, as you need stats and skills you can reach only by botting, and you know that), and as Potjeh already said, even never-ending stat/skill improvement became a feature, making for pvp a necessity to bot continuously, and so, break the game.
Curio system with experience? do this EVER did any difference at all? especially with a few easy to obtain curios that do not need exp at all? Come on, this never worked, and then pooof, study desk! so everyone bots curio (but hey, ppl already botted that, so now is a feature!)
Wax gathering? yeah, let's add wounds if/when you gather, so you are punished for playing, same for the stupid flies : get 1 hour to play in the day? cannot get out 'cause is night and you get 200 damage, no way to remove/prevent that. Get wounds? oh, you can just stop play for 3-4 days, and don't dare get an infection,will take forever to heal, most players just kill the lowly toons instead of trying to heal them...

There's a LOT of things that were pointed out overtime about what made the game nearly unplayable...but overall i think one of the best ways is this: make the game SIMPLER, do not try to balance everything expecting players find the next exploit, make this game enjoyable for everyone, as opposite to make it for paranoids that builds 2 orders of brick walls to get ppl outside their deed, and in turn make them NEVER get out of the walls.

Speaking about the other two games, and gaming in general: wurm released a private version of the game that can be also hosted as a private server on the net... some of these private servers are light years above the standard game, both in term of contents and player count. They built just a server with what they thought was cool, not trying to appeal the players.
tyrtix

Postby tyrtix » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:21 pm

Oh.. btw... viewtopic.php?f=48&t=47580&p=620053#p620053

2 years ago, pretty sure many ppl proposed that before me.
tyrtix

Postby Ardennesss » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:36 pm

tyrtix wrote:Botting has become a feature of the game, not fought by the staff but even incentivated (via spiraling items, wich IS now a feature but can be done only by botting, as you need stats and skills you can reach only by botting, and you know that)

Does it take effort to be this wrong, or does it come naturally?
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby iamahh » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:02 am

all is well

2019 year of Blender 2.8 hype is just around the corner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxrwx7nmS5A
iamahh

Postby thomas_ewing » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:30 am

tyrtix wrote:same for the stupid flies : get 1 hour to play in the day? cannot get out 'cause is night and you get 200 damage, no way to remove/prevent that. Get wounds? oh, you can just stop play for 3-4 days, and don't dare get an infection,will take forever to heal, most players just kill the lowly toons instead of trying to heal them....

Now you're just being silly. I would love to see a screenshot of a toon with 200 damage from midge bites. It would take a lot of effort to accomplish this.
thomas_ewing

Postby loftar » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:39 am

tyrtix wrote:meantime 160 heartlings on... oh man, oh man, i see the same exact issues in other games, and the SAME EXACT way to not take care of things from different devs.

I'm sorry for sucking at getting the client rewrite done. :(
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:37 am

loftar wrote:
tyrtix wrote:meantime 160 heartlings on... oh man, oh man, i see the same exact issues in other games, and the SAME EXACT way to not take care of things from different devs.

Everything is awesome, you're doing a great job, ignore the haters and keep on keepin' on.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby tyrtix » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:02 am

loftar wrote:

Think to this: wurm just did the same thing (well, more graphic rendering rewrite), and it changed basically nothing, while that game also had (and still have) lag problems, that HnH does not seems to have at all. Anyway, obvously, trying to point out that things not made are a problem for the game is trying to use strawman arguments :) nice try.
tyrtix

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:57 am

loftar wrote:

I'd like to see their 3D engines and how they perform. (I know how well mine did... :? )
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements