Game Development: Dynamic Cow

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Dynamic Cow

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:38 pm

I am excited about this development with cows, and should it prove successful look for both its expansion and new animals getting this effect. Sheep with wool patterns? Horses with mottled hides? Pigs with patches? Yes PLEASE!

Eventually, I hope this gets extended to wild animals as well, though we'd only be able to appreciate their randomly generated hides rather than influence it.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Wonderful » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:38 pm

Oh my god this new hat is so cute!!!
Wonderful

Postby NoBizd » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:38 pm

jorb wrote:
NoBizd wrote:Have you fixed bodies of Cave Louse and bats from bat dungeons or they still can't be put into knarr cargo?

That has been fixed, as the notes say.

Yeah, I've missed second part of this line. My bad, thanks for this!
NoBizd

Postby ctopolon4 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:38 pm

where is PINK color !?!? i wanna PINK pony
ctopolon4

Postby Redlaw » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:39 pm

A moo riffic update
Redlaw

Postby Scilly_guy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:42 pm

My best looking cows are the ones I killed yesterday :'(
Scilly_guy

Postby Astarisk » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:44 pm

loftar wrote:For those wondering about the performance implications of individual cow textures that I've written about previously, I realized that the vast majority of the overhead of drawing cows is in switching vertex data anyway, and that switching textures in addition to that shouldn't be a big deal at all. I've tested and confirmed this to be the case on my own hardware, at least.

Hey man, this seems like a pretty cool thing. How did you end up implementing it so itll breed selectively and resemble their parents.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby Myrgard » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:45 pm

Edit after login on... christ fuck are those cows ugly... also it will make it somewhat harder to differentiate between adult and calf since we can't rely on colour coding any more.
Myrgard

Postby Dakkan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:47 pm

Astarisk wrote:
loftar wrote:For those wondering about the performance implications of individual cow textures that I've written about previously, I realized that the vast majority of the overhead of drawing cows is in switching vertex data anyway, and that switching textures in addition to that shouldn't be a big deal at all. I've tested and confirmed this to be the case on my own hardware, at least.

Hey man, this seems like a pretty cool thing. How did you end up implementing it so itll breed selectively and resemble their parents.

I'm also a bit curious about the logic behind the system. It's one thing to do what DF does with descriptive words, but another entirely to do what you've done here!
Dakkan

Postby loftar » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:58 pm

Astarisk wrote:Hey man, this seems like a pretty cool thing. How did you end up implementing it so itll breed selectively and resemble their parents.

Thanks, but it's not all that complicated. Each individual just has a number (seven, specifically) of individual "genes", each of which affects the output texture in an smooth and continuous manner, and at the time of insemination each gene is individually selected at random from either mother or father, and then randomized somewhat.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements