Game Development: Dynamic Cow

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Dynamic Cow

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:09 am

bitza wrote:or, you could do opposed satiations, for example, when i eat something that makes my vegetable satiation go down by 2%, my meat satiation goes back up by 2%. pair all satiations like this and that much more thought is required into what players eat.

I kind of like this idea. I generally don't like satiations as it only adds unneeded complexity. With the current system, you're floundering trying to keep things balanced until you hit a break point, then the whole system is actually a tool to prop up even more FEP gains. Simply removing satiations and the "hunger bonus" would eliminate a pretty decent sized chunk of the inflated stats we currently see.

Thus, at best, they're a noob trap, and something that drives potential players away from the game. At worst, it's a means to take a system that has worked in the past reasonably well and break it, and drives existing players away from the game.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:33 am

loftar wrote:
Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:I agree with the bonuses and insane stats, but I'm rather fond of satiations.

I do think that satiations are a good idea in the abstract and I would be quite loath to outright remove them, but I do think that the current implementation leaves much to be desired, both in that it's fairly arbitrary, in that I don't quite like the way that satiations are naturally removed (though I don't know off the top of my head with what to replace it), and also in the way that drinks work. I feel that drinks should do something different altogether, not just some minor tweak like capping their effects to 100%.

They, like most of the things to do with hunger and food in Haven, are an ingenious implementation that I regularly crow about to other gaming geeks. I do agree that there is some tweaking to be done, and that drinks could be more dynamic and varied, but I don't have any good suggestions for that. Kind of a necessary thing to figure out before adding more varieties of alcohol as is commonly requested.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Granger » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:30 am

loftar wrote:
Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:I agree with the bonuses and insane stats, but I'm rather fond of satiations.

I do think that satiations are a good idea in the abstract and I would be quite loath to outright remove them, but I do think that the current implementation leaves much to be desired, both in that it's fairly arbitrary, in that I don't quite like the way that satiations are naturally removed (though I don't know off the top of my head with what to replace it), and also in the way that drinks work. I feel that drinks should do something different altogether, not just some minor tweak like capping their effects to 100%.

Simple solution: track the items consumed in a FIFO list, the length of it scaling with character highest FEP level.
The more of one kind being in there the less the payout for that particular item and the group(s) it belongs to. Example cheese: eating BBC will lead to your interest in Stilton reducing (as it being 'cheese') a bit and while the interest in BBC drops twice as fast (as it's 'cheese' and itself).

Combine with a reasonable limit on stomache size by removing salt eating (make it a spice like pepper instead and give both wounds when overapplied) and stop hunger (which should be renamed appetite) from ever increasing above 100% (so the 300% bonus is only given once to a character).

Then you could freely turn drinks into giving small temporary buffs (and limits like the good old getting knocked out from binge drinking) that affect FEP.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:08 pm

Granger wrote:Combine with a reasonable limit on stomache size by removing salt eating (make it a spice like pepper instead and give both wounds when overapplied) and stop hunger (which should be renamed appetite) from ever increasing above 100% (so the 300% bonus is only given once to a character).

Then you could freely turn drinks into giving small temporary buffs (and limits like the good old getting knocked out from binge drinking) that affect FEP.

I have to admit I kinda hate that 300% thing at first blush, but have to appreciate it after thinking about it a bit.

Not putting a limit on how much milk/tea/etc you could consume in a single sitting is also a bit of a problem (in the system as we have it), but as I understand it we'll be seeing that get a rewrite anyway.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby iamahh » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:35 pm

I think some people dislike cow skin because they have little control over it

sometimes you like the texture but you have to get rid of the cow anyway

you may have the compulsion to collect all the textures, like a cosmetic feature, but it's kinda hard to accomplish
iamahh

Previous

Return to Announcements