Game Development: Petrified Reindeer

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Petrified Reindeer

Postby CTheRain » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:19 pm

Swordfire wrote:What's the deal with all these new wounds? :?
It's really starting to feel like a punishment "can't even imagine what it's like to be a new player"

I'm getting a strange feeling that the wounds exist because they could be thinking of removing perma-death entirely.
We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.
CTheRain

Postby azrid » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:49 pm

Goodbye nettle gear it was nice knowing you.
azrid

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:36 pm

azrid wrote:Goodbye nettle gear it was nice knowing you.

Given the time it takes to get leather... yep. Maybe.... just maybe... once I get at least some leather gloves, I'll make a foraging set until I can find better to make something that isn't going to kill me/ruin my quality. Wouldn't surprise me if you get the wound just from wearing nettle gear, though. Haven't logged in and played with this yet, but I think I will later today and post my findings.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jordancoles » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:38 pm

How long until I start stubbing my toes while using the push-out mechanic?

Logging in and out should probably cause some sort of mental fatigue as well
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:36 pm

Ok, it's not necessarily a horrible, horrible penalty, but the -survival on the nettle burn is enough I didn't want to pick more than a couple before the previous one healed up. If it weren't for realm buffs, I'd probably not have even bothered picking any. Survival on a new character, even just a few points, is such a huge boost in terms of extra FEP and LP from quality of foraged goods.

A shorter timer and/or less damage might make it less difficult to play early on. Any developed character won't have a real issue with this, but what do developed characters need with nettles? (Risk of turning into infected wounds might be a bigger issue.) New players will have some serious issues, I think, because nettles are such a huge part of the early game for creating that first set of gilded clothing. Or there needs to be some sort of alternative, such as what's been suggested in C&I with the cattails.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:08 pm

CTheRain wrote:
Swordfire wrote:What's the deal with all these new wounds? :?
It's really starting to feel like a punishment "can't even imagine what it's like to be a new player"

I'm getting a strange feeling that the wounds exist because they could be thinking of removing perma-death entirely.

You shut your mouth with that insanity... Permadeath needs to be more of a threat, not less of one. The current mechanics are just plain stupid, and I'm not a brigand or a PvP'er, just an occasional victim of the hordes.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Ants » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:02 am

I agree that wounds are getting overboard. They're not a big deal to strong characters who can make high q medicine quickly, but they can really screw over noobs. That's not good for the game. Seal finger, beestings and nettle burns need to change.
shubla wrote:
Ants wrote:But how long until we can stockpile mushrooms??? :cry:

I think mushrooms would spoil if stockpiled

Clams and fish and crops should too yet we can stockpile them just fine.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby Granger » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:57 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:Permadeath needs to be more of a threat, not less of one.

Permadeath, long-term character development, fun - pick any two.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:21 am

Granger wrote:
Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:Permadeath needs to be more of a threat, not less of one.

Permadeath, long-term character development, fun - pick any two.

Permadeath + Long-Term Character Development = Fun... So I needn't bother with the latter.

That being said I went out and experimented with gathering nettle tonight to see what's so terrible about nettle burn... The answer? Pretty much nothing, suck it up, it goes away relatively quickly. However, I wouldn't complain about seeing its duration nerfed either. It is nowhere near as bad as people are trying to make it out to be, however.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby ErdTod » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Permadeath is actually fun. Without that threat, you'd play the game entirely different. And man you are thrilled when you are about to loose your character! However, after the fact of death, many people quit - including me.
ErdTod

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements