Game Development: Petrified Reindeer

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Petrified Reindeer

Postby maze » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:56 am

wounds are getting kinda overboard...adding to many. and then having to micro manage a medical cupboard.
They are not very fun. I didn't mind it to much on higher level stuff~ as it kinda off sets it abit and puts a tiny time game on things.
But wounds are defiantly something that turns people away and pisses people off.

I would be more careful with adding more. (Gray seal finger REALLY pisses me off to the point I'll only take the hides and leave the body)
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby ricky » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:58 am

It's a great idea to have early game noob wounds to teach early game noobs about the wound system and how to treat and avoid them, but they should not be as debilitating as current nettle burns. imo a stacking 1hhp wound (which heals fast or is treated easily) is more than enough.

I'm starting to adhere to the idea that many, if not all, actions should have wounds, but not all wounds need to have immediate consequences. Maybe some wounds can be ignored until an untimely interaction with another wound or event.
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:12 am

jordancoles wrote:Wounds from basic noob foragables are bad in general I'd say, specially if the wounds also give debuffs towards foraging itself.

In this case, by the time you've foraged half of the nettles needed for your starter nettle gear (2 shirts, 2 pants and maybe a hat) the quality of the items you'd be foraging would be down to 1 and your end result would also be lower because of your reduced dex for crafting :roll:

Why shit on noobs before they are even at a point where they can forage clovers and get wool for gauze?

shubla wrote:I think that nettle burn survival debuff is not good.
In early game, nettles are important for clothes and stuff.
But in early game, you dont have gloves, if picking stinging nettles gives huge survival debuffs, it quickly drops your survival to 1 which is pretty bad.

jorb wrote:Will consider.
DDDsDD999

Postby jordancoles » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:22 am

maze wrote:wounds are getting kinda overboard...adding to many. and then having to micro manage a medical cupboard.
They are not very fun. I didn't mind it to much on higher level stuff~ as it kinda off sets it abit and puts a tiny time game on things.
But wounds are defiantly something that turns people away and pisses people off.

I would be more careful with adding more. (Gray seal finger REALLY pisses me off to the point I'll only take the hides and leave the body)

Agree

If there's a wound associated with a certain activity that doesn't heal on its own, I will actively avoid that activity whenever possible.

After this recent addition, people will simply avoid foraging stinging nettles all together if they can help it
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:25 am

jordancoles wrote:
jorb wrote:
shubla wrote:I think that nettle burn survival debuff is not good.
In early game, nettles are important for clothes and stuff.
But in early game, you dont have gloves, if picking stinging nettles gives huge survival debuffs, it quickly drops your survival to 1 which is pretty bad.

Fair point. Will consider.

Wounds from basic noob foragables are bad in general I'd say, specially if the wounds also give debuffs towards foraging itself.

In this case, by the time you've foraged half of the nettles needed for your starter nettle gear (2 shirts, 2 pants and maybe a hat) the quality of the items you'd be foraging would be down to 1 and your end result would also be lower because of your reduced dex for crafting :roll:

Why shit on noobs before they are even at a point where they can forage clovers and get wool for gauze?

maze wrote:wounds are getting kinda overboard...
They are not very fun.

I would be more careful with adding more.

Couldn't agree more ... it's almost like you don't want people to play this game ...
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Adder1234 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:12 am

I sure am hyped for nettle picking alts next world!
Adder1234

Postby kimjungskill » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:41 am

Yeah, frankly I'm getting sick of wounds in general. You could chock it up to a simple oversight for the nettle burns but it really does beg the question if wounds are getting out of hand. What are wounds like this even offering the game? Midge swarms were annoying enough already imo.

Side note, there looks to be a bug that shows the butchering blood splatter animation when placing dead animals on the ground. This happens with any liftable animal carcass (wild, farmed, skeletons, flayed, etc). The gif is from amber client but I tested it on the default client as well.
kimjungskill

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:42 am

How long does Nettle Stung actually last?
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby jordancoles » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:12 am

kimjungskill wrote:Side note, there looks to be a bug that shows the butchering blood splatter animation when placing dead animals on the ground. This happens with any liftable animal carcass (wild, farmed, skeletons, flayed, etc). The gif is from amber client but I tested it on the default client as well.

Likely intended
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby kimjungskill » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:07 am

jordancoles wrote:
kimjungskill wrote:Side note, there looks to be a bug that shows the butchering blood splatter animation when placing dead animals on the ground. This happens with any liftable animal carcass (wild, farmed, skeletons, flayed, etc). The gif is from amber client but I tested it on the default client as well.

Likely intended

Well it happens on animal skeletons too so I would assume one of the two scenarios aren't intended.
kimjungskill

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements