Game Development: Moths in the Dill

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Moths in the Dill

Postby jorb » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:56 pm

Swordfire wrote: :roll:
Fair Enough!

Ill go mumble to myself elsewhere but do try and keep in mind that not everyone believes in the Losing Is Fun bullcrap

I'm not trying to shut you down. I'm asking what distinctions you yourself actually draw there. Obviously it is not as simple as "nothing should ever go against the player".
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:42 pm

jorb wrote:
Swordfire wrote: :roll:
Fair Enough!

Ill go mumble to myself elsewhere but do try and keep in mind that not everyone believes in the Losing Is Fun bullcrap

I'm not trying to shut you down. I'm asking what distinctions you yourself actually draw there. Obviously it is not as simple as "nothing should ever go against the player".

Typically getting hurt for doing something is a signal saying "hey, you shouldn't be doing that." When you throw wounds on every task the player wants to do it sends a completely confusing message.
DDDsDD999

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Ziggy confirmed city boy
Zentetsuken

Postby Aceb » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:32 pm

jorb wrote:
Swordfire wrote:I don't care for this change either
It feel's like a band-aid to avoid the bigger issue

If your really want player's to play the game in a different manner you should reward them for doing so not punish and discourage them

Thus: Remove anything that can ever hurt a player? Why even have health bars?

Generally jorb, I don't hate your way of thinking but hey, stop. Wounds are cool but be honest with me, did You ever thought about that this specific addition does here? I do think this patch was positive but:

Nettle clothes are the first cloths to be ever made by everyone, punishing them with a possible wound while doing that, You're not giving any other alternative to avoid it! Regardless if it's + or - .

It's reasonable to say it's discouraging and punishing. There's a thin line where something is fun and part of gameplay and well... here is straight RNG on something You either want to do or somehow find a skip much in later farming (hemp/flax).

So maybe allow us an alternative that, let us pick either "safe" way without wounds but less benefitting?
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:40 pm

My solution? Mud Gloves.

You take water in a kuska, dig up some dirt, make gloves, put them on, and when you harvest they either take damage or have a random chance of wearing off.

Alternately, make it a prophylactic wound. Same recipe, but it's a medicine called "Mud", you apply it and get Muddy Hands. "Muddy Hands" prevents "Nettle Burn" and wears off as you get hit with (Potential) Nettle Burn. Just need to keep an eye on its level.

Of course, you also lose the Nettle Burn bonus Survival, but hey! No wounds!

Seriously, what's the issue here? Nettle Burns wear off FAST.
Last edited by Lunarius_Haberdash on Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Granger » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:42 pm

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:My solution? Mud Gloves.

You take water in a kuska, dig up some dirt, make gloves, put them on, and when you harvest they either take damage or have a random chance of wearing off.

Alternately, make it a prophylactic wound. "Muddy Hands" prevents "Nettle Burn" and wears off as you get hit with (Potential) Nettle Burn. Just need to keep an eye on its level.

While nice idea it would be another thing that new players would need to read in a wiki.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:45 pm

Granger wrote:While nice idea it would be another thing that new players would need to read in a wiki.

Granger, everything would be something that the new players would need to read in the wiki. I, for one, am comfortable with that. I just wish the wiki was better advertised.

That being said, it could be something included as part of one of the introductory quests to help round that out.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Granger » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:06 pm

I don't know about you, but I played the first months without looking at external documentation. Maybe it was inefficient, but it was fun.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:14 pm

Granger wrote:I don't know about you, but I played the first months without looking at external documentation. Maybe it was inefficient, but it was fun.

Ok, yes, true. But then we CHOSE that experience now, didn't we?

Hell, I'd do it again too. I did that shit with Minecraft as well. XD
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Vigilance » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:59 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:Granger, everything would be something that the new players would need to read in the wiki. I, for one, am comfortable with that. I just wish the wiki was better advertised.

As someone who has tried to get normal people that don't suffer from some shade on the spectrum to play sandboxes like Hafen etc, as soon as you tell someone their best friend will be a wiki they will usually turn off mentally and be unable to enjoy it because they'll feel like they're needing to study to play the game to any significant extent/success. It's certainly not the majority of players that is okay consulting their Player's Handbook, especially in current generations, at every step of the way playing a game. That isn't to say that a wiki is a bad thing, that isn't to say complexity is a bad thing, but at a certain point there are some things you do not inflict on someone without properly explaining it to them through ingame means.

I'm actually thoroughly persuaded though that a lot of the people on this forum would love to see this game stagnate down to double digit population peaks at all times, and if we make the experience bad for new players that is almost certainly what we are going to get. I think the only way we have literally any new players right now is because they are essentially plugged in to the help desk of public realm chat.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements