Game Development: Seated in Valhalla

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Seated in Valhalla

Postby LaserSaysPew » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:30 pm

SaltyCrate wrote:
Ardennesss wrote:What do you do when that alt starts bashing your roads just for shits and giggles? If you go out to stop it, you have to toggle PvP on, and then you get ganked and die because you can't run back inside.

is a legitimate concern. You kind of started ranting about carebearing in response to that when carebearing wasn't even mentioned?
I can imagine a number of scenarios where the goal of attackers would be to force other (quite possibly unaware) side to turn PVP state on, and then proceed to kill them, while they would be unable to reach safety. There is a difference to what was proposed in the OP in that if the rule preventing you to run inside is attached to the gate, then it is somewhat feasible to stall for some time and wait while some villagemate will change the gate state thus allowing you to run inside and quickly close it. When the rule is attached to your person there is no such hope. Maybe this could be solved with additional tweaks, or maybe it is an acceptable change, or maybe it should be treated as separate problem. Nonetheless, I think you should not ignore it if you would continue disccusion of this idea in C&I later.

About carebear:
AntiBlitz wrote:because turning the game carebear with a toggle switch is dumb and they wont do that.

LostJustice wrote:And thanks AntiBlitz.

About the road bashing alt. That actually was one of the two valid arguments another one being "surround wrecking ball with alts during siege". In response to that I suggested:
1 - vandalism also needing the same pvp state as aggroing other players
2 - adding second version of the spell. Instant cast, gives temporary pvp state for some short amount of time after which slows the user down. Theoretically speaking defenders during siege can use it to make sorties. Or to kill that stupid alt bashing their road and retreat back to their gates(maybe run some more, until the state ends if they were too quick). And even to kill some random dude that you happened to stumble on during your exploration or other peaceful mission with a sudden burst of bloodlust.

There is no point in creating CI thread for it. It's not a standalone idea, it's an alternative to gate solution. And since the forts problem was presented in this thread and the devs' gate solution was also presented in this thread, I suggested my alternative here.
LaserSaysPew

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:24 am

Just to clarify my earlier post: I don't want anyone to NOT post ideas. Post away. Ideas are what make the game better. However, if an idea comes up and folks feel a desire to discuss it in a variety of ways and nitpick at this consequence or that procedure, then the conversation is going to get all screwed up as there are usually ideas flying about something the devs suggest or are looking for feedback on, plus all the other "why u do this" or "great update!" comments. That's when you need to take the idea to another C&I. If anyone needs help (splitting up the thread, moving the conversation), let me know and I'll do the best I can to migrate it.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby LostJustice » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:15 pm

LaserSaysPew wrote:
SaltyCrate wrote:
Ardennesss wrote:What do you do when that alt starts bashing your roads just for shits and giggles? If you go out to stop it, you have to toggle PvP on, and then you get ganked and die because you can't run back inside.

is a legitimate concern. You kind of started ranting about carebearing in response to that when carebearing wasn't even mentioned?
I can imagine a number of scenarios where the goal of attackers would be to force other (quite possibly unaware) side to turn PVP state on, and then proceed to kill them, while they would be unable to reach safety. There is a difference to what was proposed in the OP in that if the rule preventing you to run inside is attached to the gate, then it is somewhat feasible to stall for some time and wait while some villagemate will change the gate state thus allowing you to run inside and quickly close it. When the rule is attached to your person there is no such hope. Maybe this could be solved with additional tweaks, or maybe it is an acceptable change, or maybe it should be treated as separate problem. Nonetheless, I think you should not ignore it if you would continue disccusion of this idea in C&I later.

About carebear:
AntiBlitz wrote:because turning the game carebear with a toggle switch is dumb and they wont do that.

LostJustice wrote:And thanks AntiBlitz.

About the road bashing alt. That actually was one of the two valid arguments another one being "surround wrecking ball with alts during siege". In response to that I suggested:
1 - vandalism also needing the same pvp state as aggroing other players
2 - adding second version of the spell. Instant cast, gives temporary pvp state for some short amount of time after which slows the user down. Theoretically speaking defenders during siege can use it to make sorties. Or to kill that stupid alt bashing their road and retreat back to their gates(maybe run some more, until the state ends if they were too quick). And even to kill some random dude that you happened to stumble on during your exploration or other peaceful mission with a sudden burst of bloodlust.

There is no point in creating CI thread for it. It's not a standalone idea, it's an alternative to gate solution. And since the forts problem was presented in this thread and the devs' gate solution was also presented in this thread, I suggested my alternative here.

For salty crate, no. Lasor’s idea into actual gameplay and try it with all scanaerios. Bottom line the forts are an issue and shouldn’t be there to begin with.

And laser, yes your idea was entirely carebare till you edited and changed your idea or added a ton more mechanics. Point in being, it doesn’t solve the issue because I can keep giving out scanerios where you have to add more mechanics to fix. The mechanics you are offering now makes it 10x more complex and on top of that actually probably makes the issue worse with alts and rage alts and it does not solve the issue with the palis being there in the first place. Maybe if you offered an alternative idea that maybe addressed these issues you would then be getting somewhere but you seem too stuck on this idea and that your idea is the all right solution when clearly it isn’t.
LostJustice

Previous

Return to Announcements