Game Development: Seated in Valhalla

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Seated in Valhalla

Postby kimjungskill » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:40 am

While still not particularly my style, the hat level of detail seems to be going in the right direction and hope it continues. Thanks Jorb.

loftar wrote:If anything, I should say that a slight alternative on the idea is to, instead of having all gates have these three states, differentiate between visitor gates and ordinary gates, where visitor gates would effectively be "open for visitors" when they are open, quite simply, and ordinary gates would not have the visitor mechanic at all. I'm partial to this solution because it strikes me as more aesthetic, but please voice your opinions on what you prefer.

How would this work exactly for existing gates if you do it this way? I would assume you would change over existing gates to be visitor type, right? Wouldn't simply having gates with 3 states and updating the gate to a "visitor" model offer more flexibility AND keep the aesthetic?
kimjungskill

Postby karcheress » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:41 am

So apparently you can't drop scarab talisman on the ground.
Sancho Sanchez wrote:Some people have hobbies, some people play Haven.
karcheress

Postby Ozzy123 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:42 am

bows are fun
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby pawnchito » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:42 am

jorb wrote:We've been developing, and here's what's new.

[*] We have noticed that forts abusing the visitor debuff to provide temporary dodge-in-and-out safehavens are a thing in combat, and don't like that much. We have considered a fix for this problem, which would basically imply giving gates three states: Open, closed, and open for visitors. If the gate is open for visitors, you can enter and get a visitor debuff, but you cannot enter while in combat. If the door is open, you, and anyone, can enter, quite simply, without receiving a visitor debuff. Presumably it would take some time to switch to or from the open for visitors stage. Let us know what you think.

Enjoy!

Not sure I understand what the change would mean. Say I'm out minding my own business near my claim. Some young chap comes upon me and he can come engage in combat and I can't run to the safety of my claim?
pawnchito

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:43 am

Should probably add critters to valhalla, and let us get credos and bunny slippers. They're really important in combat.

Troll helms and steel boots are missing. Troll belts would be cool too.

There needs to be a toggle to disable getting shot with bows, just getting instantly one shot by some random is really retarded.

10k is kinda low for stats but maybe when the inflation gets fixed it'll be ok

------

Asides from valhalla, if you can just close the safe palisade it changes absolutely nothing
DDDsDD999

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:44 am

ty jorb for fixing valhalla <3 but i beg of you remove bows from valhalla!
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Aceb » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:47 am

1st time joined Valhalla, it's bow killing feast by those who were first.

Plx remove bows until they need testing or something?
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby RedSkies » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:53 am

jorb wrote:improve Valhalla

Beautiful. Long awaiting this.

jorb wrote:We have noticed that forts abusing the visitor debuff to provide temporary dodge-in-and-out safehavens are a thing in combat, and don't like that much. We have considered a fix for this problem, which would basically imply giving gates three states: Open, closed, and open for visitors. If the gate is open for visitors, you can enter and get a visitor debuff, but you cannot enter while in combat. If the door is open, you, and anyone, can enter, quite simply, without receiving a visitor debuff. Presumably it would take some time to switch to or from the open for visitors stage. Let us know what you think.

Question: If you are in combat, but you own the claim, can you still run through a visitor-only gate? (Or oathed to the village, in the case of villages.)

wonder-ass wrote:ty jorb for fixing valhalla <3 but i beg of you remove bows from valhalla!

Please keep bows. Activity will die down after people get used to it, and you can then go in to test stuff.
Last edited by RedSkies on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jorb wrote:I hereby forbid you from using it.
RedSkies

Postby loftar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:54 am

Ardennesss wrote:The people running to the safe pali are usually losing the fight, and normally have a lead.This means that their group will have their entire party inside the palisade, where it becomes unsafe to try to follow them in. The first person from your group that runs in after them gets locked in, and gangbanged. Not sure how better to explain that this effectively doesn't change anything.

What you're saying is that the current problems are related only to walls as such and that the visitor debuff has nothing to do with it. Not sure I buy that.

EDIT: That being said, if you think it's a good idea, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to adding a timer to opening/closing gates, one which even gets interrupted by taking damage.

kimjungskill wrote:How would this work exactly for existing gates if you do it this way? I would assume you would change over existing gates to be visitor type, right? Wouldn't simply having gates with 3 states and updating the gate to a "visitor" model offer more flexibility AND keep the aesthetic?

Well, the main problem I have with tristate gates is that you'd need to "manage" them in some way. Not sure I'm too keen on adding a flower-menu to every gate interaction, let's put it that way. I also just generally enjoy the idea of a differently styled gate for visitors. How existing gates would be handled is a question, of course. My natural inclination would be to let them be ordinary gates.

pawnchito wrote:Not sure I understand what the change would mean. Say I'm out minding my own business near my claim. Some young chap comes upon me and he can come engage in combat and I can't run to the safety of my claim?

You can simply open up the gate to its fully open state. That runs the risk of him also running in, of course, but I think that is a natural and reasonable risk, and with enough lead you could simply close the gate on him before he gets to it.

RedSkies wrote:Question: If you are in combat, but you own the claim, can you still run through a visitor-only gate? (Or oathed to the village, in the case of villages.)

Of course not, that'd defeat the whole purpose. As stated above, you'd need to open it up fully.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby pawnchito » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:00 am

Thanks for the specific responses Loftar. I could see the need to change gate mechanics to cut out some abuses, doesn't sound like it would interfere too much with the "normies". It's cool you guys propose changes to get a feel from the community. Keep up the great work ya'll.
pawnchito

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements