Game Development: Seated in Valhalla

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Seated in Valhalla

Postby Grobble » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:11 am

What is all this Valhalla stuff?
Sounds like a testing ground? Everyone is talking like it's something that's been around for a while. I've never heard of it, but I'm curious.
Grobble

Postby jordancoles » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:13 am

Grobble wrote:What is all this Valhalla stuff?
Sounds like a testing ground? Everyone is talking like it's something that's been around for a while. I've never heard of it, but I'm curious.

Valhalla
Valhalla is a mini-world with the sole purpose of doing battle, where you can increase your combat stats up to 300 by feasting on a giant roast boar, and a host of weapons and armour lie scattered all around for you to use.

You can enter Valhalla by right-clicking the rainbow on the west side of the starting pool, then select the character you wish to go as and click "Ride the Rainbow!"

Characters in Valhalla are saved after logging out, and you can revisit whenever you want.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby loftar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:30 am

ctopolon4 wrote:and bow cant be same Q as metal stuff (at same Q : bow = OP) (make bow Q limit 5k)

Or you could just be responsible and set qualities and attributes to values that you would realistically encounter in the real world.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby azrid » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:00 am

Yea I don't see a problem either just wait until the hype dies down and you can set up realistic scenarios.

Also gate open/close timer+visitor gates sounds good.
azrid

Postby loftar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:20 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:I support [gate timers] regardless of all other factors, with larger gates requiring longer times to close them.

azrid wrote:Also gate open/close timer [...] sounds good.

I know I said I wouldn't be opposed to implementing it, but I was expecting more blowback. :) I mean, surely you must agree that it would be frustrating to have to wait every time you want to pass gates even in civilian circumstances?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby kimjungskill » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:22 am

loftar wrote:.. surely you must agree that it would be frustrating to have to wait every time you want to pass gates even in civilian circumstances?

Yes
kimjungskill

Postby GamingRAM » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:37 am

And here I wait, for the end of the universe. This world is going to be 2+ years old isn't it?

A piece of furniture, a new food, maybe a critter amounts to what is going on recently. This game is still in alpha right? Couldn't we see some drastic and out-landish changes? I can't help but feel you guys are playing it a little to safe now.

I don't know, introduce reanimating skeletons. It could be quite a spook for all those people who never buried the dead.
Throw in a dragon just cause. Who cares about balance at this time? Make it the most broken thing imaginable. It can be fixed and/or changed later.
Have palisade wood rot over time.
Introduce rotting of food, take notes and get feedback on it. This is alpha you can fuck shit up.

I don't know, I'm bored. So very bored... The world grows stale.
World 12: Quit at some point.
World 11: Community Fair Worker
World 10: Co-Founder of the Northern Kingdom, Resident of Emerald City, Founder and Mayor of the Hole of Glory, RamZ's Art Emporium at CF, Member of the CFL Rams.
World 9: Founder of SnoopVille, Resident of Emerald City
World 7: Hermit and Neighbor to a dead Korean
GamingRAM

Postby Adder1234 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:02 am

GamingRAM wrote:And here I wait, for the end of the universe. This world is going to be 2+ years old isn't it?

A piece of furniture, a new food, maybe a critter amounts to what is going on recently. This game is still in alpha right? Couldn't we see some drastic and out-landish changes? I can't help but feel you guys are playing it a little to safe now.

I don't know, introduce reanimating skeletons. It could be quite a spook for all those people who never buried the dead.
Throw in a dragon just cause. Who cares about balance at this time? Make it the most broken thing imaginable. It can be fixed and/or changed later.
Have palisade wood rot over time.
Introduce rotting of food, take notes and get feedback on it. This is alpha you can fuck shit up.

I don't know, I'm bored. So very bored... The world grows stale.

I'm sure Jorbtar would be happy to do that, as soon as the client rewrite is done.
Adder1234

Postby ctopolon4 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:04 am

loftar wrote:
ctopolon4 wrote:and bow cant be same Q as metal stuff (at same Q : bow = OP) (make bow Q limit 5k)

Or you could just be responsible and set qualities and attributes to values that you would realistically encounter in the real world.

haha .... responsible .... fair pvp ... seriously?
should i reset my stats to 10k if i have 20k
make 5000Q bow and arrows instead 10k
should i do fair pvp when i can just dominate spawn zone and have fun, i don't think so...
DAB emotion and advantage, thats all most players need from this game (add dab into valhalla pls)

P.S. not allowed to enter your own gates if get attacked outside sounds bad, mostly if i go out for naked swim (mb no weapon in hands or fully naked, will be solution)
Last edited by ctopolon4 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
ctopolon4

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:14 am

loftar wrote:I know I said I wouldn't be opposed to implementing it, but I was expecting more blowback. :) I mean, surely you must agree that it would be frustrating to have to wait every time you want to pass gates even in civilian circumstances?

Dramatic, the word you're looking for is dramatic. I find it nothing less than appropriate that it would take some time (And add some tension) to the process of opening the doors and closing them. With the visitor debuff, it's not like there's really any threat to the suitably canny player on the INSIDE. While the person outside waits with bated breath to get IN to a civilized friendly port.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements